The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do when asked to "do that again"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
If someone asks to see it again, don't verbally respond to their comment. Begin performing another magic trick. Simple as that.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Thank you for the great tips.

A beginner
I took the Pledge
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 08:39, Riku_Pajari wrote:
I just use "Sorry, but the second rule of magic is to never show same trick twice".

After that they usually ask "so, whats the first rule is?" and my answer is "never reveal magic tricks". That usually shuts them up Smile

yes and after that they said "tell me how did you do that, I mean tell me the secret ?"......i answer "okay, but are you can keep the secret ?"...they said "yes I can"...and the I said "ME TOO".......hahahaha
untill now that's very very affective....many times I said that and they always shut and smile...hahahahaha
"for those magicians who place magic above comfort and reward" from book of wonder by Tommy Wonder (November 29, 1953 - June 26, 2006) ........
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Yes I got busted by doing a silk vanish twice at a party. I performed the effect but many people missed it by not paying attention. Those who did see it implored me to do it again while those who missed it wanted to see what the fuss was about.

And of course on the second time around a few people cottoned on to the method.

Never again!

Great advice above, especially about "pay attention, I am only going to do this once"
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
[/quote]

"okay, but are you can keep the secret ?"...they said "yes I can"...and the I said "ME TOO".......hahahaha
untill now that's very very affective....many times I said that and they always shut and smile...hahahahaha
[/quote]

Greatest line in magic.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Another thing I say is "I don't do tricks twice, it's like telling a joke twice, you already know the punchline."
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 18:12, slyhand wrote:
Another thing I say is "I don't do tricks twice, it's like telling a joke twice, you already know the punchline."

nice one.....i've heard from david stone, he said that to....hehehe
"for those magicians who place magic above comfort and reward" from book of wonder by Tommy Wonder (November 29, 1953 - June 26, 2006) ........
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
On the street, I reply to a "Do that again" or a "Let me look at that xxxx" with,
"The show must go on" and then I move on to the next routine.
The presentation makes the magic.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
How about..........."NO!"
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
I think your character should be strong enough to have total control in that situation, they should be amaized, and you should bring other trick to be performed I a very casual way.

Greetings
Scherzo
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Hey Othelo!
Learn to always leave your audiences wanting more. You can say, "I'll do it again, as soon as someone pays for the bill". or "sure I'll do it again for you on your birthday party, here is my card"... etc.
There is always a way out. just keep in mind you want your audiences to remember you a re a cool guy.
Do you think this can work for you?
BobC
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Keep in mind that for some tricks, especially the quick, visual ones popular today, it really is easy for a spectator to miss the action, or at least think that they missed something, and that this is genuinely frustrating for your spectators.

For some tricks in this category its possible to repeat the trick, and the repetition will generally strengthen the effect. If its not possible/advisable to repeat the effect, you should preface it, as was pointed out above, by telling the spectators to watch closely, and remind them that you will only show it once...

-Rob
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Magic bob,
I generally consider myself kind of dopy and dorky for doing magic tricks. aren't they for kids anyway! just kidding I think I could come off as a cool dude thanks for your help
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Does anyone ever have a problem with spectators not understanding what changed? I had a lady today that forgot what her card was! she thought it was a great trick but didn't know it was her card. I was able to repeat the trick and she got it the second time! kinda funny really
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Get them to sign the card next time. Or show it around so others can see it.

When asked to repeat a trick I usually say 'you liked that one huh? , you'll like this more' & move on to something else.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 20:50, othelo68 wrote:
Magic bob,
I generally consider myself kind of dopy and dorky for doing magic tricks. aren't they for kids anyway! just kidding I think I could come off as a cool dude thanks for your help

The problem may be that you see yourself as "doing tricks", with "how you comne off" being a concern. As your experience grows you will move beyond tricks to doing effects that enhance the sense of magic in the spectators -- then they will say "pleae give me more" -- not "do it again."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
What I do when I am done with my routine is ask the spectators if they want to se more, as usual they say: yes, Please more, blah blah... so I grab a bit of flash paper, light it on and show my presentation card. "If you want to see more, Here is my phone number and my presentation card, be pleased to do it when ever you are ready" And that is the end of my routine.

Hope this can be useful for you.

Scherzo
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
That also has a great impact on people!!!!
Scherzo
domno
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of domno
What ever you say, make sure it light hearted and easy going. Don't be rude or seem nervous. I will some times tell people that I'm not aloud to do it again. When people ask why I tell them that when a magician repeats a trick the will lose their powers. It usually gets a few laughs. But don't do it again. You will lose the element of surprise. All of your patter and misdirection will go out the window. One more thing that you may run into is after seeing the trick they may call a buddy over and ask you to do the trick for them. It is tempting and feels like doing it again for a new audience. But be weary because they will be watching you do it again as well. I don't know if this is a common problem, but it happens to me a lot as I like to do tricks for people when I'm out at the bar.
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
When I started showing friends and family tricks, do it again was the inevitable response... I had to politely but firmly explain that I couldn't/won't. I may have come across as a bit rude the first few times, but they've started accepting that I won't repeat tricks, and seem to enjoy just seeing them these days.

Having said that, how often do you wait before repeating a trick? For example, if someone comes up to you a week or two later and says ``do that cool thing with the rubber bands again'', would you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do when asked to "do that again"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL