The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hindu shuffle alternatives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Hey brothers and the occasional sister,
Of the many times I've seen the Chicago opener performed by others, I've found that the majority of them use the Hindu Shuffle to get the odd backed card above the selection. This looks less than natural to me. I've only once encountered a spec out of thousands that handled a shuffle in this way. I have a solution that I've worked out to it, but I'd still like to hear some of the community's alternatives to this technique. Ideally one where the spec's card is returned to the center of a spread. This could be just a case of magician's guilt, but I strive for as natural a handling as possible. PM me if you'd like to know my method or swap ideas in private. Otherwise, please contribute to the thread here for the greater good. Any help is much apreesh...
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I don't use the Hindu shuffle for my version, both of my selections are chosen in the same manner. The first selection is freely chosen, but it is not selected in the same traditional manner as the original handling. Of course, you could use the "classic" method to eliminate the "hindu" method.

I have another method developed where two cards are selected simultaneously from a table spread. It was developed more as a magician "fooler", requiring a gaff deck. It will work for laymen, but the effort put in may be more than needed for typical spectators. It also allows you to spread the deck at the beginning, showing no red card (another reason magicians are easily fooled by it.)
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I do not see nothing wrong with the hindu shuffle, I think it is a nice way to shuffle cards, you can use it as a real shuffle.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
If you want an alternative, you can use Sankey's(?) Wichita Slip...

I see nothing wrong with using the Hindu Shuffle, too though. Not unless you asked the participant to freely pull out a card from the spread during the first selection process, in which using the Hindu Shuffle the second time around is kinda 'backward' IMO.

Another 'Chicago Opener'-type effect that I like is the trick called 'Indications' from Syd Segal's Simply Sydney DVD.
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Thanks for the input dinger... I noticed you're from tucson, how's the williams family. I used to be involved with the magic commune over there, should I remember you? I was there in the golden days of M.E.D. Anyways, hit me up on here or on skype if you're ever on. My skype name is in my signature below. Hey Walid, I guess what I 'see' wrong with it doesn't amount to much more than the fact that it's not a simple cut, riffle shuffle, or overhand shuffle. This is probably ok with most people out there and works just fine with the lay. This is more of a refining attempt in my own handling. Don't get me wrong at all, the Hindu serves it's purpose well, but I use false riffle and overhand shuffles throughout the rest of my set, the Hindu shuffle begins to stand out more than necessary. My goal is to make my technique consistent. And is the Wichita slip the move that Sankey often uses as a force. I believe he b*****s the bottom card to let it ride under the spread, right? I've considered that as a option but haven't worked it up to performance quality yet. Thank you all for your input!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
1. Deal cards and let the spectator stop you any time he likes. He looks at the top card of the dealt cards. You drop remaining cards on the dealt cards.

2. Cull the odd-backed card and put it above the selection when it is returned in the deck.

3. Dribble off the cards and let the spectator stop you. Hand the top card of the lower half as the selection. Put the lower half on the top half keeping break. Dribble off the cards and stop at the break and let the spectator return the selection to the stopped position. Dribble off the remaining cards.

I can list more 10 methods at least, but won't do it as as I think they are all inferior to HS method even if audience is not familiar with HS.

Hideo Kato

P.S.

I continue Hindu Shuffling after I receive the selection by dropping a few cards from bottom of the right hand cards on the selection.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2502 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I agree with Kato-san. I rarely do the Hindu Shuffle EXCEPT in this effect. My handling is probably the standard one where the first HS is used as the replacement and the second is used as the force. There is a usage discrepancy but it is psychologically deceiving. In fact come to think of it, this is the only effect that I use the HS force.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Dark Deck
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dark Deck
Just throwing in my two cents, but sometimes magicians must also consider the fact that they're magicians and laymen expect magicians to handle cards differently than they do.

Also, what I think matters more is whether your audience actually know about the existence of the Hindu Shuffle. As long as they know that such a shuffle exist, it doesn't matter whether the spec actually use it or not.
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Thank you Hideo, you presence in the secret sessions is a treat, but to have you gift me with 3 takes on this control far superior to my own should send a clear message to those who don't know you that you are one of the blessings in this community. You're dedication to helping others speaks volumes in regards to your character. Thank you.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Zachary,
Is it possible that you feel ill at ease with the Hindu Shuffle because you simply lack a good justification with the audience? I'm asking because I did feel the same until a discussion with Tommy Wonder, who suggested that I simply needed a justification for shuffling this way, one that I would know that the audience would instantly accept.

Then I took one of his lines and it did the job for me. Try it once or twice. Overhand false shuffle and stop, saying: "You seem suspicious...!? Maybe you suspect that I'm doing something. I don't! I'm just shuffling. Let me show you: This way (start the Hindu shuffle) you'll be able to see exactly how it's not done."

What was making me feel uncoomfortable, became and entertainment tool for the audience...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hindu shuffle alternatives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL