The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent Mask Routine--Instructions for participants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Hi, Gang:

I've decided to add a mask routine to my act (just awaiting delivery from Wanlu), and I was curious about instructions you give to audience members whom you "use" for the act.

1) What do you say to the audience to entice people to come up on stage? Or do you just select people who look like they've been having a good time and have them come up? Or something else?

2) Do you give any off-mic instructions to the participant(s). Something like, "We're going to have a lot of fun. The more you 'ham it up' the better the show will be for them." Or something else.

Thanks. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Bob
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 18:43, Bob Baker wrote:
Hi, Gang:

I've decided to add a mask routine to my act (just awaiting delivery from Wanlu), and I was curious about instructions you give to audience members whom you "use" for the act.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Do you have a pending order I might have missed? Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 18:43, Bob Baker wrote:
Hi, Gang:

1) What do you say to the audience to entice people to come up on stage? Or do you just select people who look like they've been having a good time and have them come up? Or something else?

2) Do you give any off-mic instructions to the participant(s). Something like, "We're going to have a lot of fun. The more you 'ham it up' the better the show will be for them." Or something else.

Thanks. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Bob

No special instructions prior to the routine...their reaction which usually shows they have no idea what they look like makes the routine more funny Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just watched Terry Fator's TV Vegas Special, where it is obvious the guy is given instructions by Terry's assistant. One of the instructions was to shake his head No when asked a question.

Later when the volunteer was dressed in a Cher outfit, he was probably told to "Ham it Up with arm movements as if he was singing the song".

If you get to see this special, it makes you want to go out and buy one of these masks. It was the highlight of the special. Yes, given the right simple instructions can make a world of difference.

As an example, Ken Scott's Fantasy Magician, the volunteer through-out the performance is given instructions (whispered in ear from behind), making the the routine more powerful. Scripting makes for possible changes and additions to make an act improve over time becoming a powerhouse routine.
Dennis Michael
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Quite true Dennis
It can be played straight with no instructions and just let the volenteer do their own thing, but if you instruct them a few simple things you know the reaction will be better.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent Mask Routine--Instructions for participants (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL