The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » I Am Infuriated and Saddened (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Alright... we all know there are exposure websites out there... there's no way to stop it and not much we can do about it.

Recently, thanks to a fortuitous Google search, I found my own marketed effect "The Destiny Effect" being openly discussed method-wise on an exposure-based forum. People are discussing what they think the method is and some people who own the ebook are posting general methods... INCLUDING members of this very forum, who I used to respect but now consider nothing but scum.

I registered for an account on this forum to confront the issue. I established how upset I was, especially with specific members, and asked that the exposure discussion of my effect would stop. After all, Destiny is my baby... a piece I've used for over 2 years and has been my signature effect as long.

Was I responded to with a mature rebuttal? No... instead, I was insulted in numerous ways, plus someone had the audacity to actually post the entire, full, thorough method almost exactly as it appears in my ebook.

In closing... be careful on judgement of magicians you know. Even those who seem like respectable, talented guys may turn out to be the exact opposite.

I can't describe how furious and upset this issue makes me. I tried to approach the issue with a certain degree of maturity (although I do wish I had retracted some comments I made at the outset as a result of my anger) and was readdressed with rudeness and statements that not only insulted my work, but also directly targeted me as a person.

Just needed to vent, thank you for listening.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I feel your pain I really do. What I don't understand is why magic companies (Sankey and I think even emagicsupply)advertise on these sites and try to profit from the very thing that is destroying this business/art.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 6:16pm
I checked and I was right emagicsupply does advertise on an exposure site actually the leading exposure site along with sankey. How can you complain of course they are exposing it how else do you think they heard about it.
P3
practice practice perform.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

To be clear... eMagic Supply is NOT associated with the website you are thinking of. The owner of the website is an affiliate of eMagic Supply and advertises them everywhere. Steve Fearson himself has expressed discontent with this issue.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
You would think that Fearson could have some control over this right?

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 6:47pm
I'm not coming down on you please I don't want you to get that from my posts. I am on your side with this one but I never understood why people do business in any sense with that person
P3
practice practice perform.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

LOL I've even written an insulting poem about him Smile. You can find it somewhere on the forums.

I'll talk to Steve about it... I'm sure he'd like to know.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd rather they targeted me and left my work alone!

I feel for you bro...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Thank you guys.

As it turns out, after a lot of arguing, whoever runs the forum (finally) respected my wishes and deleted the whole thread on my effect.... which is appreciated. Not that it ever should have appeared in the first place, but the fact that it was removed was somewhat reassuring.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Too many magicians openly say exposure doesn't hurt!!!!!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=177
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know the guy who owns the copyright to Justin Miller's Seven Deadly Sleights. He googled the name of his product and found that there had been a bit torrent site that had the DVD posted and that there had been over 25,000 downloads...free...from this site alone! That's money out of his pocket that he will never be able to get.

Of course, once he informed the owners of the site, they took it down immediately, but the damage had been done.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Fortunately (bittersweet, I know) most of those downloads are by people who will never profit from their ill-gotten gains anyhow.

Because people who show so little regard for the work of others are rarely the sort of folks who are willing to do the work to perfect a fine trick anyhow.
They're merely "secrets collectors" who are, ultimately, just wasting bandwidth...

Now when you move into the realm of actual piracy-for-gain, the equation changes dramatically.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

In retrospect, this whole exposure deal never really hurt my effect in terms of sales... then again, it only took a few days to get the thread deleted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » I Am Infuriated and Saddened (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL