The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Keeping single gaffed cards clean? Any suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
HI all

Would appreciate any suggestions on keeping "gaffed cards" from getting grubby.

For example the gaffed card in NFW due to the Elmsley Counts involved, tends to get dirty on the edges. I've tried to clean these with a soft eraser, but it just takes the coating off the card.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Wash your hands before you do magic. I have special decks and gaffed cards that I've used for 10+ years.

Robert
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Ive used an eraser bag used in pencil drawing and drafting for light cleanup.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

When adhesive on gaffed cards comes in contact with the inside of a wallet, it can pick up some black residue from the leather.

Any suggestions on how to clean this off would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I generally keep my gaffs with decks (I'm not a performer, so it works for me) this way they're not odvious within the deck it's self (I.E. cleaner looking from the side, straight when the rest of the deck is bowed slightly).

Isopropyl Alcohol would probably clean it, but be very careful not to touch the ink of the card at all. Maybe regular alcohol. I would use a dupe card in the same wallet to see if it accumulates the same residue, then test it out.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Thank you Demonbrn. I'll try that.

Best

Gerry
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
If your gaff is looks dirty..try rubbing cigarette ash on the rest of the deck, so all the cards look the same Smile
Long Island,

New York
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
I've used an eraser before to get card edges clean and had no problems at all. I used one of those soft gum erasers, not the pink kind. Also keeping your close up pad or working surface (sometimes I use a large rolled up mouse pad) spotless goes a long way. I've noticed that playing the three shell game on anything foreign like cardboard or newspapers makes a big mess and trashes the pea. I've gone through a couple of Ultimate Three-card Monte sets for that very reason, the good thing is with a packet trick they all look the same so you can keep using them until it starts to drive you nuts, which for me isn't long.

Phil
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
If you know the deck treatment Steven Youell uses that might be of some help.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi Gerry. Im not sure if this will be of use to you and it probably depends on the type of adhesive being used. Anyway I use a gaff with double stick tape and I keep the packet (5 cards) in a leather himber wallet. On the inside of the wallet I have stuck a piece of the wax backing from the tape. This stops the 'special' card from sticking to the wallet and also keeps the adhesive part clean, this may work for other types aswell. On your other question I find a very slightly moist corner of a soft cloth, lightly wiped over the dirty area, and immedietly wiped again with a dry part of the cloth usually does the trick. Care must be taken not to over do it though. An eraser is ok for the actual edge of the card but any inked part will (as you noted) rub off. Some gimmicked cards are actually made using this 'property', which as far as I'm aware is unique to Bicycle cards.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Good ideas Jim.

Best

Gerry
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Robert's advice above is solid, wash your hands before performing. And use a light touch as you should be anyway with cards.

However, build up of muck is almost inevitable over time. Cardshark website can provide replacement gaffs at a decent price. I need to get another NFW gaff as I was rather heavy handed when I started out.

Keep the DS tape backing & re-apply when the gaff's not in use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Keeping single gaffed cards clean? Any suggestions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL