We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I too would like to thank you for your help and kindness in sharing this info with us all. It is very much appreciated.

I know you're a busy guy but it would be fantastic if you would pop in more.

Thanks again,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi all, The discussion on the subject of gimmicked handcuffs has gone a little off track of the original topic but the discussion is good. It cannot be denied that both the equipment and showmanship go hand in hand and discussion here is good. Thanks to those who have the professional attitude to entertain well and to want to use the ADA to enhance their act. Thanks for all the orders and help keep this thread at the top a little longer.

Ian
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Well, to go back on track. . . James showed me these ADA handcuffs at his home recently at the second UKEA meeting. I was impressed with the workmanship. Smile

Riley
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Riley, I am glad you have got to see a pair and thank you for the compilment.

Ian
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
I think entertaining is one goal in performing. I like it when a performance also makes the audience really think hard and even try to theorize how something was done. A performer who can entertain, affect, move and inspire their audience makes for an act that is remembered.
With TV, movies, magazines, the internet etc, saturating all of us with entertainment just another entertaining act just doesn't seem to cut it these days.
Ian continues to think outside of the box and pushes the envelope with new items for the escape artist that we all can use to enhance our performances to entertain and inspire.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
So do many others.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Man.ray, thank you your appreciation and kind words. Just as I thought this thread would die, you came on to revive it again. Oh! and then another post.
LOL
Thank you all.

Ian
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I pulled 90% of my products from the store.

Though the store will always be there, people now a days need talent as the world does not need ready made "worlds greatest escape artist."

I'm not anti-gimmick. IF someone can use a gimmick to enhance their already established talent, bravo and props to you.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
The bottom line is to go with whatever works for you. Gimmick or not. I never go with anyone else's opinions whatever their claims are (or their website says). I always form my own. There are a lot of opinions here that I agree to disagree with.
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Hello all,
Very interesting. Might as well say my piece! Performers, escape artists included, are simply playing a role, and their goal should be to entertain, first and foremost. A charasmatic experienced performer with little talent may sometimes appear better than an expert with little personality. As for all the talk about gimmicked handcuffs---whether you use them or not is OK either way. It's the safest and most sure-fire way to go under some circumstances. And IF you're going to use gimmick handcuffs the performer should control the situation to suit the conditions, regardless of what kind of cuffs he/she is using. But after saying that, if you decide to use "escape" handcuffs, why not go with the best. I'd want to use handcuffs which can be used under the largest variety of circumstances! The highest quality of manufacture. I agree with don't "overprove" but sometimes a little examination is a helpful and even necessary thing. But I sure wouldn't risk handing out most gaffed handcuffs to a 20 year veteran law enforcement officer for almost 1/2 hour! This is what Ian spoke of at Indy. I watched her play with them, examine them, and convince herself they were absolutely regular handcuffs. I own ADA handcuffs. I wouldn't use anything else under most circumstances!
They are, without question, the most ingenious and best on the market today (in my opinion). Congratulations Ian, not only on the ADA's, but on your many excellent tools, handcuffs, and other contributions to the world of escapes. And thanks to all those who contribute useful tips, comments, and help to all who come here to read and communicate with each other.
John bushey
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I had the experience of a recently retired police officer and his wife come over for dinner. We were chatting about handcuffs, and he went on to say that I'd never get out of the real thing.

I then produced a set of Cyclones that Ian kindly ADA'd for me, and after he satisfied himself they were genuine, he put them on me, and I put my arms under the table and hey presto!!

He then spent another 10 mins looking at them, and found .... nothing! Smile

James.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear James, I am very happy to see that the Cyclones have passed the test. Very kind of you to add to this thread by talking about the customized cuff I made.

The many customized I items I have made remain unknown until someone is willing to share their secrets.

Thanks for letting people know a little more about what I do and that you are happy with your cuffs.

Regards

Ian
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
When I first started learning magic I used stripper decks and gaffed material. As I became more comfortable with what I saw as the 'dynamic flow' of presentation, I started doing actual sleight of hand and relied less and less on gimmicks. Still have a stripper deck anyway. Still have a canister of gimmicked items sitting on the shelf. If I can work back to the point were I can perform magic without dropping things, then I'll return to performing for the public again. And it wouldn't bother me to be sneered at because in the middle of the act I pull out the stripper deck. I blew all my money at INDY on books, otherwise a pair of ADA cuffs would have come home with me.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I received my ADAs only today and have been fooling police officers all night.....I think the only question that was asked by one officer was caused by my own performance blunder.

Can one just get the ADAs and be an instant success at EA? I think we all know the answer to that. But I can tell you, I have asked all night "Do you have Smith and Wessons" to officers and handled them side by side with the ADAs and the only difference is minor (to a trained eye IMO). Actually no one has even bothered to examine them.

I won't ask this to a police officer but Ive seriously thought of using these on a prisoner. Before anyone thinks Im crazy, I wouldnt use them on a violent offender but one that has been searched extensively and is under arrest for a minor offense....
Does that mean Im confident about these? Yes, they are standard handcuffs used by public servants all over the US.

Disclaimer: I said seriously thought of using::::)))

My nickel......Smile
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
That "minor difference" you talked about ....

I have just ordered a set of S&W 100 ADA Zeroes ... these are ones where the has been no adjustment on size, and hence the bow is identical to the standard cuff.

Of course, being able to use a set depends on your bone structure ... I borrowed a set from Kristen in Indy to try them! They are very tight, but doable for me (just).

I suppose if your wrists are too big, you could get the S&W Model 1 variation, which is a bit bigger!

James.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Being tight is understatement:) I just awoke and my wrists are back to a normal shade. I initially had the measurements wrong and would have had them made much too big. I can now see why they should fit tight and doable as you say. No nerve damage that I can see.Smile

I was using some I made earlier from Santini's method (thanks), to a woman the other day. These I messed up one of the Bows, Ill blame it on the "soft" metal, but I probably went overboard (filing mishap). Anyways, I can see most people are reluctant to try on cuffs. I was one of those at the Police Academy during our "restraint" sessions. Sooooooo many times Ive had prisoners complain about the cuffs being too tight, or locking up on them cause I didn't double lock them. Our usual cliche is "they aren't built for comfort."

Well anyways, I doubt I will have any volunteers actually try any of the cuffs on for any effect. Plus also, they may trust Cop syndrome even though I seldom wear a uniform....

If the cuffs look like standard cuffs while you are holding them (or showing them they don't pull apart etc), I would hope that is sufficient.

Rambling here but my days and nights are mixed up.....
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How do the ADA zeroes Operate I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly or rushing on reading it. I think I understand it now but I won't post here. Don,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Don, the Indy EA convention was the launch of my new book on Gimmicked handcuffs. There is an explanation of the ADA workings and many other handcuff ideas I have designed and some old historical designs as well shown for the first time with the help from Fred Pittella and Chris Gower who sent photos of there rare pieces. (the book is available at CGE)

Ian
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Let me chime in here to say that I love this book. I picked it up at Indy and highly recommend it to all EA. A MUST have! You will not be disappointed.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Has there been any Concerns that sometimes the ADAs might be on to tight. I'm not trying to cut these cuffs down but my main concern is with cutting off the Circulation or possibly someone who might have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Don,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL