The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi Don, I don't think that this would be any major concern as they are only extremely tight for a split second. I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome but I've been working with mine for years without any trouble.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Tony I know its for a split second but I'm mainly asking for people who have troubles with their wrists. even with Arthitis. I'll like to know how one over comes this if the have arthitis CTS etc. and how do they deal with it. Don,
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Off of Web MD:

"Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common work-related injury. Work that requires forceful or repetitive hand movements or hand-arm vibration is most likely to cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common work-related injury. Work that requires forceful or repetitive hand movements or hand-arm vibration is most likely to cause carpal tunnel syndrome."

I think AJP has a good point....I know Ive had lots and lots of complaints on the job from persons arrested that the handcuffs were on too tight. Hands even turning purple when it was time to enter the jail. But not one has ever complained formally. I take it the problem was temporary. Im no doctor but I wouldnt want to jack hammer for a living.

Sitting behind a computer desk all day and using the mouse has been a problem for me. That and home usage.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Web MD is he any relation to Marcus Welby MD. Don,
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Negative....you got him mixed up with Dr Phil.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Don, the ADA can be modified so there is no need to have the extremely tight or tight at all. I do recommend that you have them as tight before release as you can but it is not required for the cuff to function.

regards

Ian
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've been using my ADA's now for quite some time. My ownly problem was at first I used them constantly during practice sessions to get the feel of them and I found that my wrists tended to swell up a little, which meant that I couldn't use them for a few days.
Nothing to worry about really. I could have got the dremel out, but now I'm happy with the method and I don't have to practice with them as much, therefore no wrist swelling :o)
I would recommend them to anyone who needs a decent cuff that uses no tools, but are completely examinable. Although, I did use the cuffs Santini was talking about at the beginning of this thread in some of the routines I'd originally used my ADA's and found they produce exactly the same results for the audience, just needed a little change in the way I let the audience handle the cuffs.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Dear Roslyn,
Like you said in your post, both cuffs, (Ian's and mine), produce the same results exactly. The only slight difference is handling and the only large difference is price!
Regards, Steve Santini
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I find it quite strange that the price seems to be a very big concern from an author who has a book that costs a pile compared to books of simliar information.

It would be argued back to me the costs involved in all the years of knowledge that is supposed to have gone into the experience required to write a book just as I could state the costs involved in machining, customs importation and return postage etc etc but that would be futile. For those starting out in the business who want a gimmicked cuff, there are many to choose from and from several sources. If price is the only critisism, then I take it as a compliment. Many professionals wouldn't use any other cuff.

The ADA is one the top of the line products, but not the only product, I make. I would suggest getting a copy of "Gimmicked handcuffs and restraints" which feature many of my designs. The book covers most of the items that I have made and with the addition of what is not covered in the book, my designs and creations number in the 30's.

PM me for a list if you interested.

Ian
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I have used Mr. Santini's cuff method. And I have used Mr. McColl's cuffs. Both work well. And I will continue to use both.
Larry Macs
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Larry Macs
I agree with fathom. I haven't changed my opinions on the handcuffs.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi,

In my initial post you will see that I readily admit and agree that both types of cuffs achieve the same results.

It is a fact that the only difference is in handling and cost.

This is a reality.

I was only replying in agreement to an original post made by Roslyn.

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Yes both cuffs are specially made so the only difference I see is someone might like Brand A compared to Brand B and that is alright. Everyone has a prefrence. Don,
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
To say that both cuffs are the same as each other is wrong. To an audience they are capable of producing the same results. But, you have to chose which cuff is suitable for which type of performance.
For example, I don't think I would be brave enough to hand out the 'Santini' cuff for examination like was done with the ADA. But then the 'Santini' cuff isn't designed for this to happen. Likewise I wouldn't use the ADA in situations when you need to be able to open the cuff with one hand. I haven't been able to get the ADA to do this, if anyone knows how please let me know.
It really depends on the situation you're in that dictates what cuff (or indeed any type of prop) you use. I try to have as many different methods of producing the same thing so that my shows appear to be the same for every audience I come up against.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I meant the same by both being gimmicked, and with the Santini, why not hand it out to a spectator then when they go to grab it say that's good enough. As for the cuffs opening with one Hand ask Ian. Don,
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi,

Bottom line: If a prop gets the job done it is fine regardless of who made it, how technically amazing it is, etc.

End of story

Steve Santini
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
>In my initial post you will see that I readily admit and agree that both types of cuffs achieve the same results.

Any ungaffed cuff will also achieve the same results albeit, in turn, with a different handling so this is a silly thing to say.

The more complicated mechanism of the ADA is not superfluous for although it allows you to do all that can be done with the Santini cuff (and I question whether this should be eponymous as I believe the method predates this person), it also enables you to effect certain further details, not least show that the cuff is locked on you before you escape.

Of course, you can harp back that performance is the key and careful audience control precludes this necessity. But then, why not simply use a cuff without a locking mechanism at all with a carefully placed piece of steel to provide the sound of the ratchet?

If it is all performance, the Santini version is no superior to a standard bridgejumper (see: http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com).

Now you will say that Santini's is better than this for it enables a cursory examination. Then I say that McColl's is better than those because it permits a full examination by a Police Officer and even once you are in the cuffs!

>If a prop gets the job done it is fine

This is simply a sophism. To further the art we need to aim higher than simply getting the job done. I can get the job done in a pair of oval-loop-naff-cuffs but this I would never dream of doing.

Would you?
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello,

It is obvious that over all else that has been stated perviously, allegance and loyalty to one particular maker over another is what has been driving this thread. The above post only proves that.

I would be very curious to know how many people who have commented here actually have made the cuffs using the gimmicking method I once wrote on and have tried to use and/or perform with same.

It would seem by the tone of many of the posts that these numbers would be very few indeed.

Pity.

It is always good to try a variety of things and expand one's knowledge.

When one, or more, decide to patronize only one way of looking at things or singular offerings thier range of vision is naturally restricted and limited.

This too is a pity.

Steve Santini

P.S. The version I once wrote a manuscript about IS different to a Cannon bridge jumper and does have some advantages over a standard jump cuff. If you had ever made one or owned the manuscript explaining how to make one you would immdeiately know why there are differences. Obviously you do not.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Steve, does it pay? Let them buy cannon if they want. Individuals who claim to be artists should have enough knowledge to try everything and in the end buy the best. Namely The Santini brand of escapes. I do.
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Why do I have to do everything the hard way! Smile

C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL