The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dr Zodiac, I am glad you brought up the subject of a escape artist with knowledge. Just so you to can have this knowledge also, the brand your mention is not a brand and the idea is old.

The quote
"When one, or more, decide to patronize only one way of looking at things or singular offerings thier range of vision is naturally restricted and limited."

Is oh! so absolultely correct, that is why the same writer has to tell you and redirect your thoughts. Far be it for me to need to tell you want or should need to purchase. I have a greater degree of respect for the individuals common sense and escape requirements.

Both cuffs will get you to the same outcome. Just like cars, both will get you there but some prefer a Rolls to a Dodge. Personally, I would prefer to be seen in a Rolls.

Ian
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Ian,

It probably would be a good idea for people to know that the "brand" of gimmicked cuff you are calling "old" and claiming I am not the originator of, you yourself praised when we first spoke by telephone.

You said you owned the manuscript in which I had written the method and thought it to be very good. You said NOTHING about it not being original, etc.

I wonder: in your new book on gimmicked handcuffs, how many ideas that others came up with first did you go and publish like you thought of them originally?

I do not own this book so I cannot be certain but I know I personally have thought up and used gimmicking ideas for the following cuffs (among many others):

- Chubb
- Clejuso 11 and 13
- Cummings
- Marlin
- Palmer
- FN magnetic

etc, etc, etc...

As a matter of fact, I seem to recall even telling you some of these very methods the last time we spoke by phone.

Regards, Steve Santini
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Mr Santini, sorry to hear you don't own a copy of my book, you could get one at the website below.

Ian
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The ADA cuff is one of the finest escape props you can have in your trunk.

I even use the ADA in my Harry Potter style children's 'wizard' show to illustrate how a 'wizard' does an escape.
The cuffs are examined with a fun 'tug-of-war' and locked into place.
A wave of the wand (swish and flick) with a loud "Alohamora!!!" and the cuffs fly open.
The kids love it and so do the parents.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
All of this is very interesting. I will share with you something that the late Karrell Fox told me. Believe me when I say he made as much money as most anyone in magic, and was well known as a great performer and entertainer of any audience.

When I was heavy into the hard core slight of hand card stuff, he took my hand and said "Tripper, here is a lesson for you"

He put my hand on the table and began to rub it and said:

"With my magic power I give you the skill of Vernon, of Slidini, none will ever match your slight of hand skill with the cards. Tonight you will perform for the President, the UN, and the Pope, on live television..."

Then he smashed the living crap out of my hand!!!!! He then said:

"Watta you going to do now Vernon? You just smashed your hand in a car door!"

I have never forgotten what he said next:

"Tripper, if you are going to do this for money, for a living, you better be able to do it sick or well, drunk or sober, broken or whole, because you are going to have to do it every way there is, and you are going to have to be great every time you do... or you aren't going to do it very long."

I share that lesson with you all to do with as you will.....

PS: I use Ian's stuff and as an old pud led me say there was NEVER anything that good in the old days and you all are blessed to be able to get it now.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Mark Tripp and Dr Stephen Midnight, thank you for your compliments of my handcuff.

Dr Midnight, I am very happy to see in my record book (of all the items I make) that the cuff you mention is , this year, 20 years old, unless you have bought another ADA, in the mean time, it would mean it is still working fine after 20 years. The serial number I have for your cuff is 745948.

Thank you

Ian
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

WOW!!! What a review... Ian that about say's it all.

If there was a Gold Medal Given for Craftmanship & Igenuity,

Ian McColl, Would be wearing it.

Congratulations

Michael Lee
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Not just your handcuff, but ALL your materials.

You may include my lock routine with your lock if you wish...
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Yes!, a True work of ART!!

Michael Lee
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
943 Posts

Profile of Riley
As some of you will know, my interest is mostly with the older cuffs, but I recently purchased a set of Ian's ADA Speedcuffs.

During a recent show/lecture, a police officer from the small audience (forty people)commented on the similarity between my Bean Giants and the latest (current) police cuffs (I guess he meant similar shape). I had the ADA cuffs in my case, and he checked them out ("Would you check they're in working order? They should be, I've only just got them! " I said). He checked them and announced they "worked fine". As I "didn't want to show the method" I performed the escape hands in front, inside a bag (which he also checked out!) The result was a great reaction and another booking after the show by the police officer. And yes, I'm expecting THAT occasion to turn into a challenge, (a police dinner)so I'm practising with ungaffed Speedcuffs and extention keys etc (just in case).

Thanks, Ian, for a GREAT PRODUCT!! Smile

Regards

Riley
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Riley,

Did you get the cuffs direct from Ian? Or from somewhere else?

I seem to remember seeing a site that had them, but they said they were limited stock and I can't remember what the site was.

Oh, and do they work the same as the standard ADA or the same as the ADA zeros that James talked about ealier?

Roslyn

ps
Still using both my ADA cuffs and the one that Steve Santini was talking about. Audiences still enjoy both. Although I have turned a set of speedcuffs into the type of cuff that Steve was talking about and I've found they're not as effective as the chain version.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
At the upcoming UKEA gathering this month, Weazel Dandaw will be dubuting a set of my new S&W cuffs fitted with the Cuff Maxx Medeco lock high security cylinder.

Unlike the ADA, this new cuff of mine can be double locked. As well the clyinder has all of it's pins and it is a completely hands on and inspecable cuff.

It opens with no tools or picks in mere seconds.

I look forward to hearing what the UK Ecsape Artists have to say about this interesting design.

Well, it's off to Germany now!

BTW,

One more difference between my new cuff and the ADA. The new high security cuff I have developed does not "talk" as it's bows are pulled open like a bridge jumper or the ADA does.

It is completely silent.

Steve Santini
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Now I'm really p*ssed that I can't get to the UKEA meeting.
Hey Steve, any pictures of this cuff? Maybe the guys can take some and at the meeting?

Anyway, safe trip and good luck in Deutchland.

Roslyn

ps
This phrase may help: Wo kann ich einige anlegt Handschellen erhalten?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hi Roslyn,

Just to clarify my earlier comment about zeroes ... this is an unsized pair or ADA's.

For those with bigger wrists, the may need to make a modification to the bow, which is noticable if (and probably only if) you put them next to an unmodified pair.

It works in the same way as a sized cuff. There is, as far as I am aware (unless Ian would like to correct me!) only one ADA mechanism / principle.

Thanks,

James.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Well Done!!

Finaly, a double locking instant off cuff!!!!

High Security Medeco retrofits get prime attention from spectators.

If you don't believe me, lay a pair of Peerless, a pr of S&W 100, and a pair of either with the retrofit out on a table and see which one gets all the attention.

Realy, try it yourself. Don't listen to what I say, see what your spectators do, without any promting or encouragement. The spectators will tell you what they want with their actions.

You guys at The UKEA, keep us informed on this.

Its probably going to be one of, if not, the biggest inovation in modern escape history.

PS. Have a safe trip Steve.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I own a LOT of Santini items (I did even BEFORE we were in business) I can honestly say that the Retrofit escape is my favorite, I've been using them for two years and two different variations.

So many people say that the audience does not care about the difference, one handcuff is the same as the other in their mind. Like KSD said, lay them out for comparison, even lay them out for a free will choice in restraints, they always seem to pick the Retro Fit.

The day I sell my collection there will be few things I keep, this will be one of them.

Speaking of Santini stuff, I have some older items for sale on my cuffs sale page.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I can tell you this, the Medecos draw more attention than regular old cuffs.

Don't listen to me or anyone else. Lay them out for real spectators and see which one they pick up every time.

The way they pop into peoples hands you would swear magnets were involved.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The ADA's are good too, outta the few gimmicked cuffs I have the Retrofit is #1 followed by the ADA Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I also own the ADAs and am looking at a way to add them to my children's shows.

Anyone have any good ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
It's been said before that kids like the comic book type restraints because they're big and in their mind the bigger it is the more secure it is. So I guess you could be cuffed behind your back and add a 100' of chain. Start by having the 100' chain padlocked to the chain of the cuffs, then let them wind it round you padlocking as they go.
It's simple, easy for them to understand and it's visual.
Could be some kid of mini challenge. You get cuffed and you have to escape before all the sweets, cakes or what ever get eaten.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ian McColl's ADA Handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL