The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » IDeck by Noel Qualter (Alakazam Magic) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
For those of you that are friends with ‘Alakazam Magic’ on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alakazam-Magic/150838496080), you will have noticed that this week the first batch of iDeck’s came into stock. Seeing as I was in London, I did the mandatory thing all Magicians should do…and popped along to see the guys at Alakazam again. As soon as I walked in through the door, there were the guys playing with their iDeck’s with large grins in their faces…which in turn lead to a HUGE grin on my face. By the side of me was a large cardboard box labeled iDeck Noel Qualter…full of them!

I had never actually seen this in person, only heard about it from friends. So I asked Peter to demo the effect for me…and the grin just stayed on my face…much like this Smile.

I had pre-ordered one as soon as it became available, and was eagerly awaiting it to come in the post…but seeing as it was in stock earlier than expected, I asked if I could have mine…to which I was told no! The lads in the shop smiled and carried on…a little while longer I asked again if I could have mine…starting to beg a little as well…actually I think irritate is the word, I just kept going on and on about it that eventually Peter gave in and let me have mine. I’ll be completely honest, I was like a 5 year old at Christmas!

Later that evening I made the long trip home, and as soon as I got home…didn’t unpack or get anything to eat etc…I went straight to the Alakazam bag and pulled out the iDeck. I opened the packaging and put the DVD into the DVD player. (now comes the actual review!)

What you get is a flat packed iDeck box that is all ready to put together with double sided tape where need be, the control menu sticker to put on the box, as well as the headphones, song cards and special gimmick. Not only that, but you also get an extra bit of headphone wire which I will explain about later.

The DVD shows several performances before Peter and Noel go through everything needed to perform the iDeck, starting with putting everything together and setting it up. Don’t rush to put yours together, follow Peter and Noel along as you don’t want to mess this up…even though a 5 year old could do it as it isn’t that hard. Once you have it set up, you are good to go! It takes about 1-2 minutes to set it all up so you are ready to first perform. You do however need to load the songs on yourself, and you can pick and choose which songs you want to perform with, which can be ANY of the songs, and you aren’t limited to playing just one song per performance. You can play a choice of different songs, though the selection will have to be forced. The gimmick allows you to choose which song is used each performance. The force is very clean, and even right down to the last second you can decide which song is going to play. As with all Alakazam releases, the creator and Peter sit down and have a conversation about the effect etc, and you really get an in depth knowledge about the effect and how best to perform it, as well as several other ideas and performance tips to help enhance the routine. The reset is instant, and there is also a really cool idea from Rob James that Noel gives that I have straight away added to the effect.

Something that is really cool, is Noel shows all the previous prototypes of all the gimmicks that have been made over the years since its initial design. I like this as it really shows all the thought processes that have gone into the effect that truly give you the best value possible.

There have been several great releases this year, and it is usually Alakazam that seem to have some sort of affiliation with, and this is no exception. For me personally, this is up there with the best tricks released not only this year, but over the last few years! For any close up workers, this is a must! For all hobbyists and amateurs, again, a must! The unit can be as loud as you like, so there really isn’t a problem when performing this in venues with background music, though Noel does discuss this, as well as a nice effect involving the DJ at a performance . The reason it is a must? It is small, fits in your pocket, self contained, original, instant reset, and it gets a brilliant reaction. Noel uses it as an opener…and I think I will too!

Included on the DVD is a bonus effect. Cut and restored iPod headphones. This clip is taken from the 2007 Session convention DVD that Alakazam also released, and is exactly as the title suggests…cut and restored headphones! This is perfect for either using it with your iDeck set, or someone else’s headphones.

All in all, I think it is safe to say it is obvious I am a big fan of this. Noel really does think outside the box, and I have heard of some of his other routines that are possibly coming out in the future. This is another of those tricks that is released by a worker who really knows what he is talking about. I can’t think of anything that has been left out on this…but Alakazam have some other great releases that I managed to pick up that I will give my thoughts on in other threads when I have written them up.

An effect that really does get my highest recommendations! Congratulations Noel and the Alakazam team 
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
CHRISSS
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of CHRISSS
Is it possible to use for Table-Hopping, I mean, change the Forces...
1 Song on 1 Table.. at the next Table comes another Song...
(without Problems of "changing" something...)
ahobgood
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ahobgood
I have pre-ordered and cannot wait ..... man I am jealous
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-25 16:14, CHRISSS wrote:
Is it possible to use for Table-Hopping, I mean, change the Forces...
1 Song on 1 Table.. at the next Table comes another Song...
(without Problems of "changing" something...)

Yes you can Smile, so the next table won't hear the same song played at their table
www.magicman13.co.uk

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Isn't alakazam miles away from london?

down in kent isn't it?
off to bognor for a magic booking dec so may have to introduce myself
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-26 04:32, Barry Donovan wrote:
Isn't alakazam miles away from london?

down in kent isn't it?
off to bognor for a magic booking dec so may have to introduce myself

It is down in Kent, Ashford to be precise, but it isn't far from London. I will be up there again next weekend, probably Saturday the 10th if anyone is about.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
I ordered from http://www.tricktrickboom.com cos of free postage. Does anybody know if they are sent out today as well?
Noel
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, England
132 Posts

Profile of Noel
Thanks for review of my trick Chris, I'm glad you like.

Yep I sent out all orders today.

Noel
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3113 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Only downside to this one is you can only have 2 songs recorded on at once , so every other table will get the same song , so slight negative there.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 14:06, nanaswan wrote:
Only downside to this one is you can only have 2 songs recorded on at once , so every other table will get the same song , so slight negative there.

Would it be a correct assumption that this could be overcome by having 2 (or more) iDecks, for more 'outs?' If this is as strong as I hope it is, owning multiple 'units' for table-hopping, might be worth a consideration.
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Michael T
I have received my ideck today and am very happy. Thanks to everyone at tricktrickboom.com for sending my order so quickly.
CHRISSS
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of CHRISSS
Question:

How many Possibilities are there for the outcome ?
f.e. how many in a Row for Table-Hopping ? (for example... maybe only 2 ?)
A ... B... A.... B.. A... B ... or maybe like A.. B... C... D ... E.. ;A.. B... C ... D...E; A... B... C... D .... E Smile

can I myself decide which Song is (are) the "fo..d" one....

How many Cards are there ?

can I change the Volume of the Sound ?

Thanks !!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

There are 32 songs I believe...you cannot change the volume,but it depends how loud you record it onto the device. There are only two possible songs, so A B A B, though you can put a new song on in seconds, and I have this all set up to occur should I choose to.

Every audience is different, and so is the range of songs, so you can pick and choose which two songs you want even when you get to your gig.

Though you may think it might be better to have a choice of 5-10 songs instead of 2, bear in mind with only songs two there is less room for error. For all the time Noel has been performing this, you have to remember he is a full time professional, and this has been part of his act for a long time now, and if Noel can get through all his gigs with just two, then that should tell you everything.

However, if Alakazam release more sound devices so people can buy them singly and record another two songs, giving you a choice of four songs, which you can pick and choose which one you use at each table, then I am sure this might be favourable too.
www.magicman13.co.uk

ukjasonharris
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of ukjasonharris
I received by ideck this morning, thank you Noel for sending it special delivery so it arrived so quickly... much appreciated, and especially with all the postal strikes at the moment. All in all, great quality items provided in the packet in nice packaging and with a very good companion DVD. The DVD is very clear, to the point, provides information on everything you need to know to perform the effect and some great little extras on other uses for the gimmick. The cards in the box are of excellent quality and will surely last a long time.

This will be a great opening effect for walk around as it is current and nearly everyone can relate to ipods.

When I originally purchased the item, maybe I should have read better, I thought you could select more than two songs so I agree with another posting that if you are doing walk around in a restaurant, you have to be very careful otherwise people could hear the same song playing. However, on the flip side it means less room for error in terms of queuing up the wrong song. Also, with the noise in restaurants people a few tables away probably will not be able to hear the song playing. The secret behind the effect is of good quality; however, I have found it to be a little fiddly to record on to it when you need to try and leave a 3 second silence in the beginning. I have been trying to record songs over and over again but keep getting a scratchy noise at the beginning which ruins it a little.... any advise on how people have managed to record pure silence in the beginning would be appreciated (maybe need to edit the song down on the computer to what I want recorded with that gap so I do not have to hold the device to record for a few seconds before pressing play on the ipod).

I noticed a post about volume. I started by recording the song by using some speakers but the volume is too loud and the quality too clear when you compare the sound that comes from regular iphone headphones. I think Noel´s recommendation of recording from iphone headphones is much better and will render a closer sound match.
CHRISSS
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of CHRISSS
So... if I buy it...

I "must" record the Songs myself ?
from where.. and HOW ????

Is it not ready to perform ?

Are the (32) Songs not already on the "gimmik", are the (32) Songs not these Songs, which are on the Cards ????
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 13:28, ukjasonharris wrote:
... however, I have found it to be a little fiddly to record on to it when you need to try and leave a 3 second silence in the beginning. I have been trying to record songs over and over again but keep getting a scratchy noise at the beginning which ruins it a little....

In anything but a quiet room, you won't hear that initial 'noise', but there is a way round it and that's not to have it there! Smile
Ask for the song, direct attention to the iDeck itself while you 'press Play' (doing the necessary while you do) and you will instantly hear the song. Knowing the "duration" will allow you to mime pausing the song at the right moment.

Some other thoughts about this excellent little effect - have songs chosen by two people, and mime shuffling to the next song when the first audio clip starts.

Furthering the idea of miming the actions on the iDeck, have the song start to play at a low volume and have it get louder and louder, as you mime turning up the volume. This would solve any worries of initial scratching noises.

Lastly, rolled-up sleeves provides a good hidey-hole if you prefer a more relaxed performance... Smile
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 14:27, CHRISSS wrote:
So... if I buy it...

Are the (32) Songs not already on the "gimmik", are the (32) Songs not these Songs, which are on the Cards ????

You are correct - you have to record any of the 37 songs yourself. The 'How to' is addressed on the DVD.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-01 14:27, CHRISSS wrote:
So... if I buy it...

It teaches you how to record the songs, and this is so that you can choose which songs you want to use at each performance.

The 32 songs are not on the gimmick, you choose two of the songs you want and put them on. The DVD teaches how to do this
www.magicman13.co.uk

ahobgood
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ahobgood
When does hocus-pocus get their shipment?
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Thanks noel, peter and alakazam!
go tmine today
faultless
these minor issues that have come up here are really NOTHING to concern
everything has been catered for to allow maximum performance
thanks again, noel
cheers mate!
matt wainwright
ps. so..what else to you have for us mate?? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » IDeck by Noel Qualter (Alakazam Magic) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL