The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Storytelling Decks - World's Greatest Magic series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
This has been out for a little while, and while there is usually a review of something the next day after something is released, I've noticed that no one has reviewed this entry in the LL's World's Greatest Magic series. So I'll offer my own brief reflections of Storytelling Decks.

I've been a fan of story decks ever since I saw Simon Lovell's Who Killed Lily Longlegs. Which is NOT included here. Other classics in the genre ARE included.

After Hours - David Regal.
This one impressed me the most, probably since it was a story that was new to me. The story is fun, Regal is very funny, and the sleights are not particularly difficult. Just because the sleights are not difficult, however, doesn't mean that skill isn't required: a story deck, especially this one, needs a good level of performing skills. I've already created my own variation of this version.

A Night at the Improv - Michael Ammar.
There is one way to divide story decks: the story is either obviously carefully choreographed or else the story is supposedly completely improvised. Ammar's version of a story deck is the only one on the DVD that is in the second category. This version did not impress me very much, but this style is difficult to pull off convincingly. (Who Killed Lily Longlegs also is in the second category, and Lovell does pull it off convincingly.)

Sam the Bellhop - Bill Malone.
This one is the classic, the best story deck of all time. I already know this one well from the original DVD series (volume one of Malone's On the Loose series -- which itself is one of the best DVD series of all time). Malone's performance is impossible to replicate (which you shouldn't try to do anyway) and the sleights are more difficult but lots of fun to try.

Sam the Bellhop - Doc Eason.
Doc Eason is an outstanding bar performer. I use his version of CSB. But his Sam the Bellhop is, uh, well. . . The performance is interesting. His cards get out of order. I can't tell if this is a demonstration of a true professional getting into real trouble and being able to pull it off in the end (which he does), or he gets off track on purpose to get their sympathies and play it for laughs. Maybe someone could tell me. There is no explanation to this version, which is not radically different from Malone's in the first place.

Diamond Jack - Eugene Burger.
Burger here demonstrates a pretty straightforward version of the classic (based on the version in Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks). As with Burger's work in general, the emphasis is on performance. Since there really are no fancy sleights, his brief explanation concentrates on how to tell stories, rather than explaining the stack.

I've really enjoyed diving into stacks in the last couple years, and storytelling decks are an important part of this tradition. It is critical that you personalize your storytelling deck. This is true of all magic, but it is even more critical here. You're not going to be able to pull off Sam the Bellhop as Bill Malone does it. But you CAN adapt it to your style. This is the kind of resource that could really help you in finding your style. I'd give this DVD 3 out of 4 stars.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The Eason version is brilliant! I saw it first hand and it kills. It's hysterically funny. The idea is that the performer gets in trouble and the audience knows it. Until the end when it's all resolved. As story tricks are not really magical and are more of a comedy entertainment, I think this approach is wonderful.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
What DVD/video is Burger's Diamond Jack from? It wasn't on his first L+L 3 DVD set, or the one released a couple of years ago. Is it non L+L footage from his earlier videos?
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 22:06, Futureal wrote:
What DVD/video is Burger's Diamond Jack from? It wasn't on his first L+L 3 DVD set, or the one released a couple of years ago. Is it non L+L footage from his earlier videos?

Try Here
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7806

Also includes Dracula and the Sorority Girls
Magic is Everywhere
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Storytelling Decks - World's Greatest Magic series (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL