The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » PK ring is fragile?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
So I just got myself a PK Ring online, opened the package, it slipped out and dropped to the floor and BAMB! It is broken into 4 pieces?

Ahhh. Given that I never had a PK ring before, are they supposed to be THAT FRAGILE???
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Yes they are.... unfortunatly. But you can buy a replacemetn for around $9.00

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The rings are made from the elements found in a rare earth magnet. As such they can be quite fragile and should be handled with care. I had two such magnets from two Newton's Nightmare sets. I inadvertently placed the two magnets near each other, one attracted the other like a shot and shattered the one I was holding, pinching my finger and creating a huge blood blister in the process. A few sharp bits of the shattered magnet were embedded in my hand, though none were very deep.

And there's more (Public Service Announcement - as in, "Who knew?"): I was surprised to learn that according to the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Rare Earth magnetic products should be handled with care for other reasons. According to LANL, these magnets contain toxic components (But then, what doesn't these days, eh?):

• Boron - Elemental boron and the borates are not considered to be toxic, and they do not require special care in handling. However, some of the more exotic boron hydrogen compounds are definitely toxic and do require care.

• Cobalt - Exposure to cobalt (metal fumes and dust) should be limited to 0.05 mg/m3 (8-hour time-weighted average 40-hour week).

• Iron - Iron is a common material that is found in abundant quantities in the environment and in the human body.

• Neodymium - Neodymium has a low-to-moderate acute toxic rating. As with other rare earths, neodymium should be handled with care.

• Samarium - Little is known of the toxicity of samarium; therefore, it should be handled carefully.

Respiratory protection should be employed when dealing with any airborne particulates of any of these materials.

Children should not be allowed to play with strong rare-earth magnets or the materials used in their production.

Individuals with pacemakers or internal medical devices should not handle strong rare-earth magnets magnets. Studies have shown that magnetic fields can affect the operation of these devices. Strong rare-earth magnets should be kept at a safe distance from individuals with these devices.

The Rare-Earth Magnetics Association is not aware of any positive or negative health effects from handling rare-earth magnets. They however recommend that pregnant women not handle very strong rare-earth magnets as a precaution.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
Serious?

Oh well, just my luck I guess. I never expected a ring will be that fragile.

Thanks for the answer guys.

Another thing. Any good recommendation for a stronger, more magnetic, and more durable PK ring?
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Get a N50 from supermagnetman.com

Jim
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
That's supermagnetman.net, Jim. Smile

Very cool site, by the way. Thanks!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Jason A
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Jason A
Mine also breaks often. Now I get them from supermagnetman.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Thanks Skip!

It's Supermagnetman.net

Jim
Nicholas Spade
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Spade
I second what Jim said. I got a N50 from there when they first came out. I still have it and it is very durable and very strong. Great for Prohibition.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 15:03, jimhlou wrote:
Thanks Skip!

It's Supermagnetman.net

Jim

I now use them myself.

peace, charlie
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
I've had my rings for close to 3 years from supermagnetman and never had a problem. Never dropped them either though.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
828 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Charlie,,,

I use them all the time - but.. and I can never remember which one is the best for your "Prohibition" (cap through beer bottle) the horizontal -- or vertical magnetic field version. One, for sure, works better than the other.. maybe you could shout the supermagnetman code out for those who know no better.. (not me, of course).. Smile

I, Personally, use two together on my third finger. But I also wear two matching silver rings on my first finger, and an antique coffee spoon ring on my thumb.

And NO-ONE ever suspects ...

Regards...and thanks for a great effect.

DCB

Posted: Sep 27, 2009 8:59pm
Incidentally, I took them off in the shower one time. I forgot about them, and then knocked them off the ledge onto the shower tray. About 12 pieces. No! They do NOT stand up to shock.

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
SUPER FRAGILE! I bought an identical ring for about 20 dollars from any basic mens ring store. And I wear that, if I plan on performing a pk effect I just switch them. unfortunatley I do have to switch them so it adds a tiny bit more setup but I rather do that then have a broken one
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Super fragile rings are specially atrocious.

Come on you were thinking it!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Mark, I wasn't thinking it, but I get it!
My wife has a blood disease called amyloidosis. Last week I was called on to introduce her bone marrow transplant doctor at an anniversary event for about 300 people.
I brought up the fact that her disease sounds like a word from a Disney movie.
SupercalifragilistAmyloidosis.

Got a good laugh!

Sammy

P.S. I have a Wizards ring. No problems, but if it breaks I will check out Supermagnetman for a replacement.
Sammy J. Teague
jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
I agree thank you to everyone who suggested supermagnetman. I'm looking into purchasing a PK ring from him and I was wondering if you guys just ordered a standard ring shape that he sells or if you guys get it made custom. and if you get it made custom what kind of strength, coating, and other stuff involved with ordering a custom magnet(im having trouble with direction of magnetization). I usually only use a PK to do prohibition.
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Depending on what you are doing, you can get thicker rings. I personally don't use them because they are a bit bulky but they are definitely less fragile.
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
I found out how fragile they were performing a cap through bottle trick...smacked the lid, shattered the ring, but amazingly, I still got away with the trick!
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Quote:
On 2009-10-03 20:44, The Big Q wrote:
I found out how fragile they were performing a cap through bottle trick...smacked the lid, shattered the ring, but amazingly, I still got away with the trick!

I have a fear of this happening with a roulette routine. Thinking about a CP to avoid possible catastrophe.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 23:02, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Super fragile rings are specially atrocious.

Come on you were thinking it!!!
I was thinking "Super fragile PK rings are specially atrocious..."
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » PK ring is fragile?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL