The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On the spot, what do you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JustLoco
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, Ca
111 Posts

Profile of JustLoco
I was at a magic shop talking to the guy behind the counter, and he hands me a deck of cards and says, "show me something." I drew a blank, and couldn't think of anything. After a couple seconds I just did a lame "pick-a-card" controlled to the top and reveal. No patter, no showmanship, not entertaining at all. Afterward I felt very embarrased. Next time I want to be prepared, so here's my questions:

If you are handed a deck of cards and told to "do something", what are the effects that you do? For a layperson? And for a magician?
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
For me without much thinking:

Ambitious card for magicians
Dr. Daley's Last Trick for laymen
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I usually do some sort of Ambitious Card routine. I know several impromptu card effects, but Ambitious is usually the first thing to pop into my mind.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I think you made the mistake of trying to impress rather than entertain. We all are prone to fall into that when asked by another magician to do something. Personally I find the performance of magic to fool magicians a waste of time. If they are experienced enough they will eventually figure it out, if not, so what?
I've done only three card routines in my act for probably 40 years: The magic spell, Houdini rolls over in the grave, and cards up the sleeve. All three can be performed with anybody's cards anywhere. (Don't bother looking up the first two, even if you find one by the same name it won't be my routine).
The idea isn't what trick you perform, but how you perform it. Generally as long as it isn't the 21 card trick, most magicians will be appreciative for the performance.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 11:39, JustLoco wrote:
If you are handed a deck of cards and told to "do something", what are the effects that you do? For a layperson? And for a magician?

I usually do something like say "ok," and pull out a coin.

Otherwise, I'd probably do either an Ambitious card (if I'm feeling confidant with my DL) or use a Key card effect.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I was asked to do a trick in a magic store and I did card throw hanky from Mark Wilson book. It went down quite well don't know why. A trick I find magicians like is Its the rules and people have commented on my handling and presentation which is nice.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
I probably wont do it if I don't feel comfortable

same as when random people ask me to do something. its like a jukebox, put a quarter in it and its starts playing...
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I always draw a blank too when someone asks, even if I have my own deck with me (which is set up and ready). Just the suddenness of it makes me forget what I know. I have cheat sheet in my wallet which lists effects I know, but I always forget that I have that too. Seems silly when I'm not in that situation. More rehearsals needed, no doubt.

I suppose that thinking about it here, I would perhaps get the four Aces to the top and start shuffling clumsily, then stop and say "no, I'm too nervous now that you're putting the pressure on me like this. You start! Why don't you cut a few cards here..." And basically have them do a spectator cuts the aces that isn't too widely known.

Once you have 4 Aces out, there are a lot of fun places to go. Even if they do know the opening trick, they would perhaps be fooled at first into believing that you really are too nervous. They don't know you after all. And if so they would only realize where this is going a little into the cutting effect, which means that they didn't pay attention from the very beginning of it. So you kind of fool them or play with them after all. What you show them is your sneaky side more than a mere trick. If that makes sense.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Lately it's been Vernon's "Twisting the Aces".
It's something I rehearse on a daily basis so..
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
Honestly, I seldom if ever perform on demand. If a magican friend of mine asks to see something I will share ideas and effects but not to others. When I perform I get paid unless I offer to show someone a trick or two for fun. To me it is similar to a plumber being asked to install a sink on demand for free. If I were a plumber I am sure I would do free jobs from time to time but not just because I am asked to. I do not mean to sound mean with this but I get asked to perform for free often whenever someone finds out I am a magician. I guess I am just saying that it is okay to say no when you do not feel like performing.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Don't know the names, just something I picked up (this HAS happened before and more than once, and this is what I did...er...do...)

With their deck, have them pick a card and control it to the top, just like you did. Now for the reveal, I do a DL, showing the WRONG CARD and square it FACE UP on the deck. "This is your card! No?"

Now turn the whole deck over. “Actually I brought your card to the BOTTOM and THIS IS IT! Still no?!?”

Now I pull the first wrong card from the top and lay it fanned against the second wrong card. “You mean NEITHER of these is your card?!?”

Now cut the deck once, square it, and fan it face up. Remember that DL back the beginning? Their card is now reversed in middle of the deck.

If they want more, I put that card back on top and openly hunt out the four aces. No magic here, just dig ‘em out, moving them to the top.

(There’s some handling I can PM you with if you’re interested, but the next game uses only these five cards. It’s really simple – think DL and Glide – oh, and Elmsley, but only if you want to... Smile )

I’ll put the red aces, one at a time on the table, asking them if they know where their card is. They keep looking at my hand. When I turn over what’s on the table, it’s the BLACK aces. I have the two reds in my hand, and their card (which they thought was still in my hand) winds up back on top of the deck.

Whole playing time: less than two minutes. Borrowed deck, no gaffs. Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
DWRackley, that opening effect is great! I believe I have seen it somewhere but had forgotten it, so thanks a lot!

It reminds me of something Daryl said when he was guest here, about what he would do if... well, basically the same question I think; a quick instant opener. He said to control a selection to the top, DL and show the wrong card. Then put "that card" into the spectator's hand and change it with a magical gesture. SO easy but I hadn't thought about it as an effect in itself. Which it is.

As for being asked, I'd gladly do some plumbing for free. It's just that nobody asks and when someone suddenly does once or twice a year, it becomes a small shock. Smile
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
That is often used as part of an ambitious card routine, which is what I would probably wind up doing on the spot...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
JustLoco
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, Ca
111 Posts

Profile of JustLoco
I think My problem may be that since I usually do my effects for the same people ( my wife, mom, friends at work) I am constantly having to do something new. So when put on the spot by someone else I don't know which one to choose and I freeze up. I will now take my 3 best/favorite effects and practice the crap out of them, then use these 3 when asked to do something. For the next 40 years I will be known as Justloco the 3 trick magician. Ok maybe not, but with 3 good card tricks, 2 rope tricks, a couple coin effects, linking rings, and cups & balls, I can put together my show.
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I have a full ace routine that I can do...ace transposition into my variation of Think Touch Turn Reborn...I get really good audience responses with this.

But lately I have been working on Chris Kenner's Perversion from Totally out of Control as well as Dan and Dave Bucks Tivo 2.0

All of this stuff can be done on the spot.

-Vinny
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
I'll try things out on people I work with and know well, and over time I've got people who don't know me that well introducing me as a 'magician'. This usually leads to the person I'm being introduced to or the person doing the introductions asking for a trick. I oblige them gracefully by doing the trick I know best: making myself disappear.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Not having been there I don't know what the atmosphere was but if the guy behind the counter just did it like a challenge to see what you could do, in my mind that is rude.
I worked in several Magic shops and never would I consider doing such a thing.
I would find out through simple conversation where a customer's skill level was and would ask what kind of Magic are they interested in.
Challenging a prospective customer is a good way to keep them from coming back.
Once again, this is just my opinion nothing more.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
If you are worried about being asked on the spot to perform a card trick, the best thing to do is have something simple but a real mind blower. Its better if you involve your spectator.

So I do a quick basic. I will write down a prediction, then let the spec hold it. Force that card. Get spec to open prediction. If he/she is a layman, it kills. Just be sure to act in an entertaining manner.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
I'm often handed a pack by students and asked to do a trick - I'm awful with trick names, but I often do a variation of 'Oil and Water', sometimes one of the tricks from Jay Sankey's Anytime, Anywhere (4 Aces involved - completely forget the name), also a variation of the trick DWRackley described. I don't mind if kids ask - they're truly interested. I'd be a bit peaved if the guy behind the counter said 'impress me', although I do find that magic store and musician store attendants can get a 'air of superiority' at times. Frankly, I think I'd take my money somewhere else.

Tony
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Don't know what your skill sets are ... but when I am asked the same question with a deck of cards I reply with "Card from Pocket".

This has worked for me for the past 20 years.
And floors them.

The effect:
the spectator picks any card.
This is placed onto the top of the deck and the deck shuffled.
The deck is placed into the performers pocket.
When the spectators card is named, that card is instantly produced from the pocket.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On the spot, what do you do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL