The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Practical Finger Ring Effects - (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Wedding Ring Redux is what I always perform. It's a four phase routine with a wedding ring and cord or rope recited in verse. It's in Kingdom of the Red and I teach it in the book and perform and teach it on the companion DVD. Three of the four sequences use original new methodology.

Go to http://www.barnowskymagic.com or the links below for more info.
:readingbook:
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Lots of different phases from Greg Wilson's ring leader has always served me very well. I still believe it has been the best DVD for the money, for me.

Mentioned earlier was Pinnacle. I have been performing this for a few years, and it is a lot of fun to perform. A borrowed ring and a regular rubberband. Can't get much more magical than that.

Also, Jay Sankey has a neat routine with a borrowed ring and a regular dollar bill. The bill is rolled up and held by a spectator on both ends, and their ring penetrates the bill. Totally impromptu. It's on his Anytime Anywhere DVD.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Ray Grismer (Grizmer?) had some great stuff. Loopy is the only name that comes to mind (an unusual effect where the Ring travels from loop to loop on a shoe string looping out from between your fingers) but he had a lot. Fun ring and string effects so you could use the same props for other effects.

I saw it once a long time ago. Does anyone know the name of his video tape and is it available on DVD?

-Mary Mowder
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10784 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
As a ring and string loverI just recently came across Scott Guinn's symphony for the ring and string.
this is a multi phase effect, any phase can be incopperated into your own routine. One of my favoite phases is the ring and empty coin purse .the ring appears on string from the purse frame.
the instructions are easy to follow and each hand positon is demonstrated with photos ,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 05:28, Mary Mowder wrote:
Ray Grismer (Grizmer?) had some great stuff. Loopy is the only name that comes to mind (an unusual effect where the Ring travels from loop to loop on a shoe string looping out from between your fingers) but he had a lot. Fun ring and string effects so you could use the same props for other effects.

I saw it once a long time ago. Does anyone know the name of his video tape and is it available on DVD?

-Mary Mowder

Hi Mary!

You're right--Ray Grismer is the MAN when it comes to ring and string stuff. A lot of the material in the other routines on the market borrow from Ray--some with credit, some without. A couple of Ray's moves have been wrongly credited to Charlie Miller, when actually they just appeared in Charlie's column in Genii. Ray is my good friend and mentor. (His health is not good and he moved down to Florida to live with his daughter a couple of years ago.) The video you spoke of is called "Ray's Ring and Rope Routines" and was a VHS published by Jeff Busby. It has some great, great stuff on it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-11-06 02:08, vinsmagic wrote:
As a ring and string loverI just recently came across Scott Guinn's symphony for the ring and string.
this is a multi phase effect, any phase can be incopperated into your own routine. One of my favoite phases is the ring and empty coin purse .the ring appears on string from the purse frame.
the instructions are easy to follow and each hand positon is demonstrated with photos ,,
vinny

Thanks for mentioning my routine, Vinny! It originally appeared in my book Great Scott! It's More Magic back in 1998. I recently updated it, edited and expanded the explanation, and released it in its own ebook, available on my website for $10. Lots of photos to help the reader follow along. It's always played well for me, and liek you said, you can take any of the phases and plug them in to your own routine, or just do it as-is.

http://www.scottfguinn.com/generalmagic.asp
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Scott,

Thanks for the name of the Ray Grismer Tape. I wish Ray well.

-Mary Mowder
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10784 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Scott the Grismer pinch is the best move for ring and string.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I had the fortunate opportunity to hang out with Ray during a 10 day run in Spokane, for the tri state fair. I was ding magic shows, and Ray was playing piano in a Dixie land band! He was kind to spend some time teaching me a few of his ring/string routines, plus just a neat guy to be around.
Where in Florida is he? I travel down fairly regular.

Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Someone above mentioned David Harkey's 'Goldfinger'. Find a copy of his book 'Simply Harkey' which has 'The Goldfinger Trilogy'. The effect mentioned previously in this thread (that of removing your finger to cause a borrowed ring to fall off of it) is only one of the ideas.
The original effect is a visual penetration through flesh and bone. The borrowed ring visibly melts up through the finger. You can also perform a transposition of a borrowed ring with your own while it's on your finger, cause a smear of ink to instantly, visibly form itself into a word (or change from one word to another), and even cause you finger to be penetrated by a length of ribbon.
It's all in the reflexes.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of asgar
I'm trying to do the finger ring and string routine relentless by Bob Miller.i don't have the dvd and I think my string is a slightly longer than necessary.what string length is appropriate for finger ring string routines ?I'm also facing problem with the beginning knot .any help?at the end, I publicly wanna thank Bob Miller for his great routine and greater generosity.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Zargo
View Profile
New user
Germany
64 Posts

Profile of Zargo
Bob Millers Routine is great, I do it for years now. Sometimes I combine the end with ring on straw or pencil if something around from Daryls Video.

You will get the idea while practising to get the knot back again, its just timing....but feels so good if you have it down 10/10 times Smile

..Speaking about ring routines, there is a lot..I also like:

Just in Case by Pete Biro and Joe Porper
and
The Ghostly Linking Finger Ring (Pete Biro and Joe Porper)
>>> Question: is there a video or something around? I would love to present this version properly one day to an audience and it still "sleeps" in my corner waiting to be reactivated Smile
Magic by Marko (Zauberer, Trick Artist from Germany)
"Its kind of fun to do the impossible"!
(Walt Disney)
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Eric Mead has a great ring effect in his book "Tangled Web".

~jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Jamie, and what does that effect happen to be?
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
A great ring effect by Japanese magician.

Night Passage - Shigeru Sugawara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onbZawznXGY

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Jay has two great effect from his "Anytime, Anywhere" DVD. I believe they are called "Pawnbroker" and "Under the Influence". They both use other objects as well but the ring is the focal point.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2777 Posts

Profile of John Long
Pawnbroker: A borrowed ring and a borrowed coin transpose in this beautiful, multiphased routine.
This is basically coin sleight of hand. I wasn't that fond of it.

Under the Influence: A borrowed ring impossibly penetrates the side of a rolled up borrowed bill with the ends being held tightly by a spectator.
This I liked, it uses a method similar to another effect of Jay's that many are already familiar with. I like this ring/dollar version better.

Something that some may think too passe, but one that I use often, and seems to leave people speachless is a ring off a loop of string (that is supported on the spectator's thumbs). I comes off right under their nose. I don't know the originator, but it can be found in that auspicious title, Magic for Dummies. Check it out.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-11-28 19:56, John Long wrote:
Pawnbroker: A borrowed ring and a borrowed coin transpose in this beautiful, multiphased routine.
This is basically coin sleight of hand. I wasn't that fond of it.

Under the Influence: A borrowed ring impossibly penetrates the side of a rolled up borrowed bill with the ends being held tightly by a spectator.
This I liked, it uses a method similar to another effect of Jay's that many are already familiar with. I like this ring/dollar version better.

Something that some may think too passe, but one that I use often, and seems to leave people speachless is a ring off a loop of string (that is supported on the spectator's thumbs). I comes off right under their nose. I don't know the originator, but it can be found in that auspicious title, Magic for Dummies. Check it out.

Hey John!

I think Pawnbroker could be pretty cool, if you gave it a shot.

I also agree with you. Under The Influence is pretty good.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2777 Posts

Profile of John Long
Maloney:

ok; but there are soooooo many effects that I want to get to, and so little time.
Overall, I was pleased with the Anytime Anywhere dvd, but I haven't even gotten around to practicing Under the Influence.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
George Alexander
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong / UK
67 Posts

Profile of George Alexander
Linking three borrowed finger rings is one of the strongest effects out there (in my opinion).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Practical Finger Ring Effects - (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL