The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable spot lights? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After watching my videos, several members convinced me to enhance the lighting in my show, especially when it comes to video taping. Do any company make portable spot lights?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPSaShgCNA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOk4d177cZ4
CNYMagician
View Profile
New user
Central New York
27 Posts

Profile of CNYMagician
There are all kinds of portable lighting available - but you need to select the right kind for the specific use.

For shooting a video, you want some small floodlights. These could be either units designed for photography (Ask at your local photography store) or even reflector "work lights" from the hardware store. Frankly, your videographer should have these and know how to use them.

Knowing where to position the lights and how to aim them is an art unto itself. Something that photographers are trained in. If you just shine a light in your face with no thought to angles of highlights and shadows, I'm afraid you won't look better - possibly worse.

Lighting for the stage requires entirely different types of lighting equipment. This can run the gamut from A full DMX theatrical lighting system to a pair of those hardware store work lights I mentioned earlier. (I do NOT recommend the latter.) You get what you pay for.

It really depends on how involved you want to get, how good you want the lighting to look and what your budget is. Sorry if this isn't as helpful as it might be, but your question is pretty general. The short answer is that YES - portable lighting equipment does exist. As to WHAT equipment you want, well, that depends ....
Bruce Purdy
"Spreading laughter & wonder - one miracle at a time"
http://www.cnymagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for your time, Bruce.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wow, Skip, it looks like you were expecting me today. Smile

Good look'n out.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Dennis Michael and I both use the Chavaut 400...great unit for the price...BUT...READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING! That expensive bulb will burn out in a second if you hit the wrong switch. This light works well for small rooms (church groups, small school shows, library shows and such). I personally wouldn't recommend it for large rooms or full pro productions.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable spot lights? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL