The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polanski arrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
My questions for the lawyer(s) and others here are:

1. According to news reports, apparently the Polanski criminal case file was noticed to be lost sometime circa 2004. (I don't know WHEN it was lost, but apparently no one could find it in 2004.) I don't know if this was the entire case file or just portions thereof. In any case, was it ever found? If it cannot be found, would a new trial need to be initiated?

2. Is there a criminal penalty for Polanski fleeing before final sentencing? I would have thought so. If so, what IS the range of penalty? Seems no one ever mentions this in the news reports.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
It is extremely complicated. On one hand the facts of the original crime, the chid molestation charges are moot. He was tried and convicted on those. So the crime he is wanted for is fleeing justice, which makes him a fugitive. Since he fled the country this complicates the matter further as it becomes a federal offense but we have heard nothing from the federal courts, or at least I haven't heard them weigh in on anything.

The judge's misconduct further complicates the matter because this taints the case with a biasness, even the prosecution will not deny that. Technically, this would not and should not matter. However, a person is guaranteed the right to resist and unlawful arrest (this is not carte blanche to take on the police, they will handle business, it just gets worked out in court) not sure about unlawful judgment.

If I were a betting man, my experience says, that he will appear before the court and the judge will dismiss the fugitive charges and just let the original conviction stand or convict him and give him credit for time served which means that in the end, Polanski served a little over a month in prison for everything.

Worst case scenario: the judge convicts him for flight and he serves the remainder of his original sentence plus however many more years for the flight, which I would assume, since the original sentence was for a felony, it would be at leat five years at hard labor.

As for loosing the files, who lost them, the Superior Clerk of Court Office, or the judge? I would assume the police records are moot as it is only the fugitive charge they are pursuing, although they could have lost those. Being from Louisiana - - where we make Illinois and New York politics look like the bush leagues - - we never let a simple thing like missing paper work stall anything, unless of course beaucoup monnaie was exchanged all around.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Not to defend anyone here or to make judgement but wasn't it Jerry Lee Lewis who Married his 13 year old Cousin?
And what about Mike Love? How old was the girl he Married?
Why aren't these guys in jail? I'm confused.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Doug, I was un-aware (basking in my lefty-ness) that he was a favorite of my people.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 15:18, irossall wrote:
And what about Mike Love? How old was the girl he Married?
Why aren't these guys in jail? I'm confused.
Iven Smile

Seems I was incorrect about Mike Love. His Wife was of legal age. My mistake.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 21:11, balducci wrote:

Incidentally, I was just reading over at Pajamas Media that California's Governor, Arnold Schwarzennegger, shares something with Polanski in this regard. Google the name "Gigi Goyette".

Wow. Given his own 'alleged' run ins with an under aged Gigi (though she has admitted them openly), I thought Arnie would steer clear of this. But no, he made a statement saying Polanski would not get special treatment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNew......20091001

Still, why has Schwarzenegger gotten such a free pass from the media and everyone else for his own shenanigans?

I guess when you are a darlin' of the right, you are above reproach. (I guess that sort of answers Doug's earlier question.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
It's a shame that so much attention is being paid to Polanski for a crime committed decades ago (yes, what he did was terribly wrong and there's no excuse for it). However, the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles, Cardinal Mahony, is still a free man after having covered for so many pedophile priests over the years. Whenever a priest was accused of pedophilia or found guilty of it in L.A., Mahony simply moved them from parish to parish and never rebuked them for it. This went on for decades, and hundreds if not thousands of children were abused. Why can't the religious right go after Mahony? Especially the Catholics? The statute of limitations on Mahony certainly hasn't expired yet.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
That is gonna lead this thread down the dark road....
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I can't imagine a darker road than one where people who find drugging and rape of a minor acceptable because it was a long time ago... and he escaped the law for a long time.

As far as I can tell our friendly Mr. Polanski doesn't even try to say he didn't do it.

Regardless, this is the Internet. This is also text based, so we cannot truly understand if we are correct in our understandings of what others are saying. I hope no one believes that (If he in fact drugged and raped a minor) it was OK.

If you want to argue whether 13 is too young... I dunno (But my daughter is off limits till she's 18 and I only if like you). I have a nice place out back where I plan on burying the kids I don't like, although murder is wrong and that's not really the point anyway.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 21:01, Josh Riel wrote:
I can't imagine a darker road than one where people who find drugging and rape of a minor acceptable because it was a long time ago... and he escaped the law for a long time.

As far as I can tell our friendly Mr. Polanski doesn't even try to say he didn't do it.

Regardless, this is the Internet. This is also text based, so we cannot truly understand if we are correct in our understandings of what others are saying. I hope no one believes that (If he in fact drugged and raped a minor) it was OK.

If you want to argue whether 13 is too young... I dunno (But my daughter is off limits till she's 18 and I only if like you). I have a nice place out back where I plan on burying the kids I don't like, although murder is wrong and that's not really the point anyway.

I'd put him in prison just for making The Ninth Gate.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

If you want to argue whether 13 is too young... I dunno ...

That is a very interesting point. Check the laws in the United States over the last 150 years or so, and you might be very surprised at what used to be acceptable behavior.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
One thing Polanski said at the time was that he really didn't quite grip the idea that teens were not open game as they were in Poland.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"I'm sorry, your honor, but I'm a Schuar from Peru, and had no idea killing my neighbor and shrinking his head was illegal in Iowa."
:huh:
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 19:17, hoodrat wrote:
It's a shame that so much attention is being paid to Polanski for a crime committed decades ago (yes, what he did was terribly wrong and there's no excuse for it). However, the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles, Cardinal Mahony, is still a free man after having covered for so many pedophile priests over the years. Whenever a priest was accused of pedophilia or found guilty of it in L.A., Mahony simply moved them from parish to parish and never rebuked them for it. This went on for decades, and hundreds if not thousands of children were abused. Why can't the religious right go after Mahony? Especially the Catholics? The statute of limitations on Mahony certainly hasn't expired yet.

What people do not realize is that the majority of cases were handled internally due to them coming to light in what is known as internal forum which is confession. And what is revealed in the confessional is bound by a confidentiality that cannot be broken, a bond that both the most liberal and conservative secular courts have upheld.

Those cases that were not under the sanctity of internal forum were brought to light.
Peace

Scott

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
I hope no one believes that (If he in fact drugged and raped a minor) it was OK.

If? It is a fact, he confessed and was convicted.
Peace

Scott

Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2009-10-03 01:26, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
I hope no one believes that (If he in fact drugged and raped a minor) it was OK.

If? It is a fact, he confessed and was convicted.

You got that out of it eh?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Got what out of what?
Peace

Scott

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Just in the news on Friday (and I don't know why this information was never released previously, sort of makes you wonder ...) Polanski agreed to pay his sexual assault victim $500,000 to settle a lawsuit 15 years after he fled the United States.

How much he finally paid is unclear.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,559401,00.html

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-......rack=rss
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
How much did Michael Jackson pay for his....partners?
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
You know why don't act naive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polanski arrest (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL