The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop that suddenly disappears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Can anyone advise who and where these are made, seen in some videos to open, Kalin & Jinger, Brett Daniels, the backdrop looks like a satin type of material, gets pulled back and rewound into a box, very fast making it look like it disappears.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just saw Carnival Of Wonders last weekend. It doesn't seem to disappear, but gets pulled, rapidly, into a case that looks too small to hold the backdrop. It appears to be a silky material. Still...its' very impressive!
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Cirque du Soleil's "O" also uses that same effect. Unfortunately I don't know where to point you.

Good luck in your search though. It's an amazing theatrical effect!
TrickZone
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of TrickZone
Curtain Suck
Lee Thompson
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lee Thompson
Hi sly2272,

We use a similar material in our show Cirque du soleil "Kooza" called Rip- stop Nylon.

Rip-stop Nylon is a light weight, water repellent nylon fabric with inter-woven ripstop reinforcement threads in a crosshatch pattern, so the material resists ripping or tearing.

Rip-stop is used in parachutes, hot air balloons, kites, light weight camping equipment, flags, banners, indoor and outdoor inflatable structures and many other applications which require a strong lightweight.

just Google "Rip Stop Nylon"

Good Luck

Lee
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Rip-stop nylon; also a product called "polysilk", which is a more durable (slightly heavier) china-silk weight.

For billow and compression, I think nothing beats china silk. However, china silk is rather easy to rip by accident; the larger the piece (like the carnival of wonders drop, which I believe is a china silk drop) the more opportunities to injure it.

I've been pleased with both ripstop and polysilk, but I generally go for polysilk when I need something with a little more "billow" and a more delicate feeling.

hope this helps!

Both are available flame retardant, which is nice as well...
the rose brand website (rosebrand.com) can be helpful....and they do have some ripstop on clearance right now.
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Thanks very much for the info, also wondering who makes the device that sucs the material into a box.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 09:35, sly2272 wrote:
Thanks very much for the info, also wondering who makes the device that sucs the material into a box.

I'm wondering the same thing! Anyone knows?
Dare to Dream...
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I saw this used in "O" and found it to be a stunning visual .. but you guys know that already. I remember seeing Sean Bogunia talk about using PTS to respond similarly with a material that has a projected image on it and then pulling out flying over the heads of the audience and disappearing as it was retracted. Obviously this is not the same size and scale ... but similarly impressive when incorporated into the theatrical mix.

Dan.
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hi Sly--

I produced a music video for a band in the UK a few years back and we built one of these curtain rigs for a performance in a small theatre. I was lucky enough to have a special effects man from London who had built one before.

The one we built and used--

Was a dead fall counter weighted system.

The curtain, thin material like others have spoken of.

The curtain is attached to various spots around the proscenium of the stage with soft metal hooks, which are attached to eyelets in the curtain's reinforced border.

Attached to the curtain at several points are tabs sewn to the curtain, to which are attached silk cords, like those used with parachutes.

The cords are brought together in the back of the stage in "the box". Basically a vortex. Think tube with a funnel end that accepts the cords and silk curtain.

All of the smaller cords are attached to a main "pull rope" that is run through the tube and then an anchored pulley attached to the floor to the stage and up through another pulley flown above the floor pulley.

The rope then runs to another pulley upstage and is attached to a dead weight (sand bag). This sand bag is held up with another smaller rope that has a release that allows the bag to fall to the stage below once triggered. BEWARE NO ONE SHOULD BE ANYWHERE NEAR THE FALLING SANDBAG.

Of course the length of the rope in the fall must be the same length as the length of the cords running from the curtain to the vortex box.

It is a pretty "low tech" effect. But a cool looking one.

Please build a working model first. And make sure it works there first. You will get the rope lengths, actual weigh needed in the sand bag, etc. figured out. Then your math skills will allow you to calculate the real numbers for the full scale version.

Also please be forewarned - the curtain and the cords are moving backwards at a very fast rate of speed.

WARNING: NO ONE SHOULD BE ON STAGE OR NEAR THE CURTAIN AND DEAD WEIGHT WHEN THIS EFFECT IS USED. PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND PRACTICE PROPER SAFETY TECHNIQUES WHEN DOING THIS OR ANY EFFECT.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: I AM POSTING THIS STRICTLY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR RESULTS.

YES, IT IS THAT DANGEROUS.

HAVE A PROFESSIONAL HELP YOU IN BUILDING AND OPERATING THIS EFFECT.

I hope this helps you in your information gathering process.

Best of Luck,

Calimagician
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
How much something like that cost?

Thanks!
Dare to Dream...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop that suddenly disappears (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL