The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing standing or seated (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gilbert
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
36 Posts

Profile of Gilbert
While watching DVD's I saw some magician performing standing and some performing seated. Which one is better for starting? And in the case standing is preferred, what should be height of the table?
Mark Richardson
View Profile
New user
Oakland California
37 Posts

Profile of Mark Richardson
I'm not sure one is better than the other. I think you should do which ever feels more natural or comfortable to you as a performer.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
And what's possible in the environment is also important.
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9011 Posts

Profile of funsway
Because of disability issues I now mostly perform seated, but not behind a table -- prefering a small platform on one knee. Thus, the audience line of sight is from slightly above, and I have had to adjust many hand positions from what I usta-could. Without video feedback I may not have been able to do this -- much better than a mirror.

So, it is not a matter of 'better than' -- just a difference of which you must be aware since your view of your hands will not change. I also cannot get into my pockets easily, but can reach an open bag on the floor -- and 'cuffing' has become an option.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
I think it's better to consider which effects interest you. What have you seen that you want to learn to do? Some effects might 'require' one to sit or stand, but often times it's the available environment that controls this. For example, many effects that require putting stuff on a table could also be done standing. It's just a matter of your comfort (in most cases).

I'd recommend learning some effects that don't rely on being seated or standing, first. This will give you a chance to get comfortable with magic and allow you to determine which you are most comfortable with.
Dark Deck
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dark Deck
I think it largely depends on what routines you want to do. If you are doing a lot of coin routines, then performing seated might be better.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1140 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
The routine(s) will dictate your movement.
It is something you will not have to "think" about ... it will be natural.

Go with the flow Gilbert and develop your own style ... just perform and have fun, the rest will come naturally!
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
The only thing I can add to these comments is to make sure you practice however you are going to perform. I often work out a rough idea of a handling while sitting but I perform standing so angles and hand positions may be different, so I have to refine the routine later while standing.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I perform my parlour and stage while standing. Close up, I prefer to be seated as I am 6'3 and don't want to tower over my audience (assuming they're seated) unless I am strolling.

Dan.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3226 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Standing. Performing seated is a style of magic that is either A)terribly dated or B) suitable for a very specialized venue, and is for the hobbyist only at this point.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's difficult to achieve a maximum impact on your audience while sitting down...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
If I saw a magician doing tricks while seated, I'd be distracted the entire time thinking "When is he going to stand up and do something big?" Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm just trying to put myself in the place of the audience. It would strike me as very odd especially in a stage/parlour context. Perhaps it wouldn't be an issue in a more intimate environment.

Mark
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I feel that there always will be an appropriate place for close-up seated type of magic. AN intimate small group seated at a table can be a wonderful environment to perform in and for. As Andrew said earlier, some effects are much more suited to a seating position. But of course those types of effects will always be limited to that type of situation. I find that when I do close-up magic (assuming at a table) I sometimes will stand and then at other times take a seat, depending on the effect.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
When performing sitting for small groups that are also seated on chairs at a table, I sit elevated on a stool so I am easily visible to everyone. My close up table also elevates 6" above the table surface creating a mini stage. If I stand, I am definitely looking down on my participants which creates some disconnect to the experience.

Dan.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3226 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 17:37, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
When performing sitting for small groups that are also seated on chairs at a table, I sit elevated on a stool so I am easily visible to everyone. My close up table also elevates 6" above the table surface creating a mini stage. If I stand, I am definitely looking down on my participants which creates some disconnect to the experience.

Dan.

Not a bad idea at all for restaurant types! Nice one!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9011 Posts

Profile of funsway
Because of disability issues I am working on performing seated without a table. This means the eyes of the audience are either somewhat higher or a lot higher. This is great for about 20% of my sleights and forces a change in about 80%. Thanks to video practice I won't embarrass myself too much. The difference between table height and lap level is enough to destroy a Ramsey Subtlety.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
If you can, do what naturally fits your routine.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
I know from experience that it is easier to make a good connection with people while you are on the same level

also takes care of some angel problems that might occur
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3114 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'd actually find a way to figure out how to do your key routines either sitting or standing. This way, if visibility is important or everybody's standing already, then you can do it standing, but if the situation is impromptu, and everybody's sitting, can already see you clearly and you don't want to get pretentious on the group, you can stay seated as well.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 17:16, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
I'd actually find a way to figure out how to do your key routines either sitting or standing. This way, if visibility is important or everybody's standing already, then you can do it standing, but if the situation is impromptu, and everybody's sitting, can already see you clearly and you don't want to get pretentious on the group, you can stay seated as well.

This is much better than what I posted earlier. This is good advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing standing or seated (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL