The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Acrylic ball problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
So the rubberized spray on the acrylic balls isn't working that well. First, the spray does dry clear but has a tendency to leave little frothy bubbles on the surface in some places. At first the balls are really great but with continued handling some of the slickness returns. Now spraying this stuff on your HANDS before a show would definitely work, but this is a little extreme.

Next step -- I have found a manufacturer willing to do a production run of crystal clear rubber balls in various sizes from 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Not sure of the cost and minimum quantity yet, but if I end up with thousands of clear rubber balls I'll put them on the for sale thread for anybody who is interested.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
If you do get a surplus of clear rubber balls I'd definitely be interested in taking some of them off your hands .
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill, that is confusing, you sprayed the 'rubber' spray and it became slick? Or do you mean the rubber spray came off the ball and you were back to the original surface. I cannot see how rubber would become slick. I am speaking of the spray you referenced above of course.

If there was bubbles appearing after you sprayed the rubber solution on, it was one of two things, you sprayed to heavy at those spots or there was a reaction between the ball material and the spray. Have you removed the bubble to see it is an air bubble? If so it would be a reaction to the material. If it was solid filled, then it would be to much paint in that spot. Therefore, a thinner coat and waiting longer between coats may help.

I am sure if you can get quality clear rubber/silicone balls made, they would some people interested in purchasing them. Don't forget to have them make a shell as well.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Bill, so I guess spraying an aerosol rubber spray is thicker than spray paint or something like that. There were areas that had very small frothy bubbles in places. I am going to try a more upright spray surface, lighter sprays, etc. I didn't think there was a reaction between the ball and the spray, just that the rubber itself has a bit of bubble.

I also thought the slickness returning after a while was really strange. The rubber did not wear off, but it seemed to loose some of its adhesive quality. I haven't tried letting the material really dry for an extended period, that might help.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, yes, you must have the balls on long pins and upright. Also place the ball on pin on a 'lazy susan', that way you can turn the ball as you spray. I am sure you can find one cheap at Walmart made out of plastic.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
So a production run will be expensive, maybe 1000 bucks or so. Not out of the question, but I found this:

http://www.52magic.com/product_883.html

what do you guys think?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have never ordered from 52magic, as I cannot make out if they are wholesale only or retail as well. The big problem is they only accept Western Union. That old method does not have many Western Union outlets around. It is expensive and you have no control over it once the money is transfered. Years ago when Western Union stores were closing, the telephone company use to say they would transfer funds for them and put it on your telephone bill. Don't know if that is still possible.

Bank tranfers are very expensive, as well. Seems like the company wants you to do a lot of running around to get the money to them, then you have to email them. I have seen some dealers that have items they carry, don't know if they bought from them, though.

Then they only use the most expesive delivery/mailing systems. So with balls that heavy, it may cost hundreds of dollars just for postage. I once sent a small pacage to asia Fedex and it cost over $160, because it went to a business address. If going to a residence address, it would have still cost $70.

They say they do not speak English, so that is another barrier to over come.

So how does one deal with all these barriers. I would like to get their large multiplying spheres, but I am not prepared to lose hundreds of dollars to test them.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Yes this is funny, you are right about every one of those issues! I'll let you know how it turns out, we are actually using a wire transfer to the Bank of China, I couldn't get Western Union to work. Although the shipping is just $24...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is surprising, $24. How many did you order? Would like to here the final cost after customs and all.
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Hi Bill,

Please keep us posted on your order progress and your satisfaction with the silicone balls.

Mark
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Bill,

I have been very curious about this company. I'm nervous about a bank transfer so I didn't order anything. Let me know how it goes and I may be placing an order with them in the future (other products).

Thanks,

Petros
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 16:07, billappleton wrote:
I found the s***l, look at this page:

http://www.kitkraft.biz/home.php?cat=230

so for a 2 inch ball the 2 1/4 inch option with 1/8 inch thickness should be perfect.

Somebody must have a hint on adding some stickyness to a manipulation ball?

Thx.

Holy cow!

Where have these been all my life?
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
I am pretty sure everyone already knows this, but on an international wire-transfer (Western Union, bank etc...) you have no recourse if you do not receive the merchandise. I deal with companies overseas all the time in my business, they ship and then invoice. Maybe in this case they are honest, but please beware.

John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I am getting worried about this. I received prompt email replies about how to pay 52magic, but now they will not respond to my emails about when the product will be sent, I have been asking for a week so far. I will keep everyone posted on what happens with 52magic.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
This topic has started me thinking. I saw some clear 2" balls that are filled with water and glitter. They are not a hard acrylic, but are a bounceable silicone type material. If you were to remove the water and glitter, I think these would make a very nice manipulation "bubble". You could use one of the acrylic shells that have been linked to in this thread.
Another idea is to get some of the seamless acrylic balls and paint the inside (inject some red or white paint into the ball and roll it around until it coats the inside and dries). I think this might make a very nice looking ball as the clear acrylic would give the ball a high gloss shine, and the paint will not be subject to chipping, as it is on the inside of the ball.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 01:39, Brad Jeffers wrote:
This topic has started me thinking. I saw some clear 2" balls that are filled with water and glitter. They are not a hard acrylic, but are a bounceable silicone type material. If you were to remove the water and glitter, I think these would make a very nice manipulation "bubble".

I've done this. It works really well. They still have a lovely bounce without the water and are much lighter and easier to handle. Very grippy and look like bubbles on stage. They are quite large but eminently concealable. The ones I found were larger than 2". Nearer to 2 3/4".

Neal
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I am back with a report about the 52 Magic multiplying bubble product. There were lots of delays and issues buying from 52 Magic, but they will definitely deliver your product eventually. The multiplying bubbles they offer are much better than the Vernet bubbles, although that is not saying too much, because the Vernet ones are almost a toy. They come in a black box with four 1.75 inch silicon balls and that special something.

The balls have a tangible seam and a rather yellowish cast, and the special something is rather clear. There is that same problem of the difference in appearance looking straight on in terms of optical distortion. The silicon is sticky and the special something is not, so the silicon can get rather stuck in the something during use. All of this is a standard problem for multiplying bubble sets. I will get a picture for you.

I believe that this effecty could be done with better matching between the balls color and special something, plus a something that is thicker to avoid sticking to the ball. Also the right type os plastic should be able to mimic the ball optics if done right. So the quest continues...
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Good to know that these are better than Vernet's. Vernet bubbles stink heavily, but oh well, that's what I've found so far. Until now.

I don't worry about the S., 'cause my bubbles routine does not employ one.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
glennmagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of glennmagi
I use Plasti Dip clear rubber spray. I have seen Home Depot and others selling colored versions of this spray but I found Amazon carrying the clear. I have used it on white balls and I feel its an improvement. I can't say that if changed the look in anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Acrylic ball problems (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL