The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Book: Seeing Through Illusions by Richard L Gregory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
For your information... I haven't read it yet but I intend to. I'd be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has read it.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/su......92802859

<quote>
Description
There is a world of objects spread out before us in glorious color. It seems as if perception just happens. But does it? Is it really that simple? As Richard Gregory reveals in this attractively illustrated book, the more we discover about the senses and the brain, the more we realize that seeing, hearing, smelling, touching, and tasting depend on incredibly complicated machinery--both in the sense organs and in the brain.

One of the world's leading authorities on perception, Gregory offers an insightful state-of-the-art tour of how the brain captures and interprets the world. He describes the evolution of the sense organs, a process so remarkable that even Darwin was reluctant to believe that natural selection could have "designed" structures as complicated as eyes or other sense organs. Gregory shows how perception actually works and in particular how the brain interprets perceptual information. The author reveals how the phenomena of illusions provide an important key for unlocking secrets of perception. And the book also examines the special case of pictures such as drawing and paintings, describing how the brain interprets them as representing objects.

Seing Through Illusions will enthrall everyone interested in the borderland where the inner and the outer world meet.
</quote>
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Book: Seeing Through Illusions by Richard L Gregory (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL