The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Magic is for little kids!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Same here
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
Looking back over the vast chasm of time, you're up against two problems:

1. People from the ages of about 12-30 don't want to be different. That's where the reaction of, "...two of them are blown away and say, dang, awesome. But when they see the others don't like it that much they say: well, it wasn't that good, and ignore me" comes in. They can't admit that they like something that someone else didn't. That's very hard to get around.
2. What I like to think of as "early-onset cynicism". I've seen it all. Nothing blows me away because I am far too cool and above it all. That seems to affect roughly the same age range.

Small children aren't afraid of being different or expressing their own opinions. As people age, they stop caring what other people think. The age group you're likely performing for is a tough crowd. Andrew Musgrave had some excellent advice--you need to know your crowd. What are they interested in? What'll hook their attention? And then there are some poor, benighted souls who just don't like magic. Sometimes you just have to choose to walk away and perform for a more appreciative crowd.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
You didn't say how old you are, but if you are a young magician performing at school, I'd recommend entering the talent contest. Even people who usually don't like magic are much more receptive to enjoying themselves at such occasions.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Next time someone says magic is for little kids remind them that David Copperfield has earned over fifty million dollars a year, was engaged to Claudia Schiffer and owns a group of islands in the Bahamas.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Magic is for little kids!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL