The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Signaling the start of the show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
What successful ways have been used to start your show? Not as in an opening effect, but as far as getting their attention and settled down to begin your opening effect.
Since there is no real emcee at the party, other than the host/hostess saying "the magic guy wants to get started, so......"
I have tried a couple of different clapping, song type things, but am looking for a something a little better.
Any thoughts?

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
A boat horn. I have been thinking about a flashing light. like the "blue" light at KMART. Set this off then start music or blow a horn then say it's time to get started.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI. Why not just use a recorded intro. or write down what you want the hostess to say.
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I just call the kids over and tell them to sit down behind the magic line. I never have a problem as most times a lot of them automatically come over and sit to watch me make the bribery and corruption balloons before the show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I too usually just start by saying good morning or good afternoon. The problem I have is not getting the kid's attention when I need to start the show, it's not getting their attention when I set up. Fortunately I have a show that can be set up as the children watch.
In a perfect world I would be in a seperate room and the kids would be brought in after everything was set up. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world.

Are you having trouble getting the kids to settle down and watch your program or are you just looking for a more "professional" looking entrance?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Once the kids are all seated I start by saying in a really soft, slow and quiet voice "Is it time for the..." and then shout "MAGIC SHOW". The kids ALWAYS scream Yeeessssss.
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
There is always excitement when kids know that a clown or magician is coming to their party. Once the kids know you are there, it's not hard to draw a crowd. If it is, I tell the kids who have seen me, "Go and get your friends and come and see the most exciting magic show in the world", which they do!

How you arrive and set up your show is the key for getting control, excitement and having the kids think they are going to have a really great time.

When I arrive I greet the birthday child and make him or her feel special. Then I point to a 5 year old boy and say, "Is this your husband?". Of course you get screams. Then I might ask, "Are you turning 50 years old today?" Of course you get corrected and they tell you their right age. BUT what I'm doing is getting the kids to warm to me, like me and then think I'm really funny. So when I say sit on the mat they are ready for a lot of fun.

Now the kids are sitting there for about 5 minutes while I set up my show, so one thing I do is sing something funny behind my magic table until I hear them start to laugh, then I stand up and say "What's funny?", then I go back behind my magic table and repeat it until I am ready to start my show. You do get great reaction when doing this!

Then I go into a introduction game then into my fun-filled magic show. Smile
Isn't it great being an entertainer?
Harry the Clown
knockknocktheclown
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of knockknocktheclown
This may be too out there, but how about a tambourine and just bang on it hard. Then announce to the kids to come over. I have not tried this yet but I plan to.

God Bless you all!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've given up trying to start the show like a stage show with a introduction etc. I just sit the kids down and do my Rocky Racoon routine to get them focused and to set the boundaries. Then I start.

Works well for me.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I really start by asking if everyone is here? I have never had a problem with this. When I am there they are really ready to get started, then I go into my warm up/ intro where I say who I am and the name of the show. Then I have them do the twisted arm thing. I teach them how to clap. Then I say turn to the person on this side(right) say are you ready? Then turn to the person on this side (left) say are you ready? Everyone turn towards me say Mr Bill we are ready. Then I say well lets get started.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I usually find I can’t help but get everyone’s attention just by the mere fact that I am dressed the way I am. Also the children are usually expecting me, so I just start by introducing myself. Sometimes I go around and shake all the children's hands with some funny by-play. If some children are still playing outside or in another room when I want to start I play some music so they will be able to hear that something is happening & be attracted.

I also think having a recorded intro is a nice professional touch. It really signals a precise spot in time where the show actually starts, rather than having it slowly build from children watching you set up. That is something I am planning on adding to my show soon.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I use a bit that got funnier over the years. It means looking stupid but hey anything for a laugh. It is also a great "Polarizer". For those who don't know, polarization is the act of taking many individuals and turning them into one collective audience.

"Before we can get started we have to be friendly and the best way to get friendly is to get to know each other". I will say "Hi, I'm Bryan The Magician and you say who you are; don't say "Who you are", say who you are (trailing off). You know what I mean don't you? When I say "Hi I'm Bryan The Magician", you say your name but don't say "Your name" say your name (trailing again). Lets try it. "Hi", blah blah and response. That was terrible!. If I asked your parents (teachers or whoever) if you can be louder than that, they'd say yeah, so, "Hi" blah blah and response. That was pretty good, now this time I want you to answer so loud the roof shakes. "Hi" blah blah (be "blown back by shock wave, put finger in ear and say), "You didn't need to shout!" and go into your act.

Hokey? Yes. Effective? YES, YES, YES. Anything along these lines puts you right in front of all of them as the center of attention and they LIKE you. Why? You've just played with them on their level, you are one of them. Perfect.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I usually don't have any problems starting, but a couple of times at larger locations I have used the rocket balloons. I just fill a couple of them up and release them and that gets everyones attention fast.
Michael
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I usually start calling the kids to come gather by the performing area. Sometimes I say: "The last kid to get here is a skinny chicken."

Kids will run to where I am. Some other times I just change my voice over the microphone and announce the show is about to start in 2 minutes, then announce that is about to start in about 1 minute. Wait and announce in 30 seconds. Wait an say 15,14,13,12,11....GO.

I just play it by ear.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Why not do a hovering trick, "Can anyone help me down? helllllp!". This should get their attention.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thanks for all the replies. There is a tremendous amount of experience out there and willingness to help. I have gotten an inspiration or two from the ideas of using lights and sounds.
Thanks again for the help!

phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Love the skinny chicken line.

See PM.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
For kids' shows, ask them a question that has to have a reply:

"Is everybody ready?" or something like that.

At least, it works for me.

In one adult show (The SEAM convention at the Holiday Inn in Greensboro, NC) -- and you have to pick your audience for this -- Rich Bloch was the emcee and I wrote my own introduction. It broke him up: "And now, direct from the bar of the Greensboro Holiday Inn . . ."
Smile
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Steve Taylor shared this idea at a workshop:

There are two ways to have fun, the first is by clapping... go ahead clap. The second is by laughing, go ahead laugh (young kids will laugh on command, strange!).

Sometimes I use the exact description above, other times i add clapping and laughing jokes.

similar to another idea stated earlier, I introduce myself and have the kids say "Hi John" (b/c that's my name). then i have them yell their names. I respond w/ "Hello objuilewkjliweidkh (mumbble jumbble basicaly). It always gets a laugh from the kids. Of course, throw in a funny face while saying their names as though you combined them all.

cheers,

j.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do two things that have worked great for me.

I always have a tape going about 2 mins before the start of the show that is filled with fun pre-show magic related music. This gets people and the kids interested and gets them aware that I am about to start.

Then I start to have some fun as what I call my pre-show warm-up. I have this upbeat music going on and I use an Axtell Expressions Drawing board. Being an artist, I start to draw one of the kids that is in the room. Sure enough kids and people gather around to start watching. othing draws a crowd more then curiosity. The drawing is comical and funny and the kids help me figure out what is needed. Then by the time I am done the cartoon, the kids are all seated and the show is ready to begin.

Just then the eyes start to move and the mouth opens and I have a pre-recorded tape that makes it appear as if the cartoon is intorducing me to everyone.

It really has worked well for me and allows me to gather a crowd in a fun manner.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Signaling the start of the show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL