The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Stockman: "Connected" DVD set modern mentalism release winter 2009 (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Its very adaptable buddy...

I wont be using the candle idea
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Thanks for the responses guys (I also had one by PM). Looks like I may be picking this up at Blackpool.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I've just watch this DVD, it's awesome......
Thanks Paul, you did a great performance....
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Does anyone have any leads on where to purchase the item used with the tray in "My Luckiest Day?"
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 13:33, lumberjohn wrote:
Does anyone have any leads on where to purchase the item used with the tray in "My Luckiest Day?"

Funny you ask, I am just about to offer in the For Sale section, for anyone interested, the full deal - large tray with matching LARGE you know what. I was having a hard time finding one-offs that were the right size, etc. but finally found exactly what I need. But the 2 different suppliers, would only sell in lots of 10. I have a buddy who's taking one, so that will leave 7 or 8. Should have everything in a week or so, so stay tuned! BTW, the 'special thingamajiggy' is 11X17"!

e
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Thank you for your review, Nimrod. I put stock in your review.

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Hello everyone.

I am sure most of you know I am not one for posting much on forums.

But when my schedule allows I occasionally pop in for a look.

I would like to thank you for the many wonderful reviews of my DVD Connected.

My email box has been very busy every day with kind words that show your appreciation of my work.
I am very humbled by this and amazed that so many of you have taken the time to write and email me.

The sales of my debut DVD have been very high and so too the requests for a follow up.

At present Christopher Taylor, Alakazam and myself are preparing for the release of my effect “Psyclock” This will be followed by a project I am working on with Craig Browning of my effect called “The Impossible Envelope” This I hope will be out later this year.

Many people have asked about my up and coming book “ Stage Mentalism & Mystery Entertainment” I can tell you that the book is finished and I hope to have it released this year at some point. However I have a very busy year ahead of me and probably wont manage to fit everything in by the end of 2010. But I will try.

I already have bookings in The USA, The U.K, Spain and Germany for this year, with provisional booking for Dubai, and Malta.

My new web site should be up and running very soon and this will list some of my public attendance shows.I will be delighted to arrange some some tickets for those that would like to come along. It would be a pleasure to meet you all.

So for now thank you again and I am pleased you are enjoying and using many of the routines in my DVD in your own stage shows.

Thank you again
Best wishes

Paul
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I already said that I rated Nimrod early on in this thread. However on re-reading it I did notice that he said that there was:'nothing here freash or groundbreaking'. I do understand this but I don't think this is what The Café is about. If, way back when I was learning this stuff anyone at my local magic club would have said this then everyone would simply have stared at them in utter annoyance. I think 'Fresh and Groundbreaking' is a different kind of club. It's lovely but it's a different club. That's NOT what The Café is necessarily about.
I have a hunch that there's lots of guys out there who have spent fortunes over the years (much of that on fresh, grounbreaking material) but are no better now than they were then. And that's becaus the have 'the stuff' but they don't know what the hell to do with it.
Me? I've always loved dvd's that show you the 'HOW'. That's how I learned. And for what it's worth I honestlyy believe that Looch was simply spot on. £300/$500 for a working pro to find a gem to insert into his act is an absolute STEAL. Ask them.
In closing I think maybe we should grasp more of the positive things we see in each others work and perhaps try to teach each other how the things with a lessr shine might be polished into something even better.

bobser
ps: crying with emotion as I wrote that last paragraph (ok, so I don't know why I said that bit. It's not entirely true. sorry.)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Thank you Bobser,

Wise words my friend.

You are also spot on as far as my work is concerned.

What many guys fail to remember is that for working professional entertainers its about having simple to understand commercial material. This is even more important when you are playing to a large audience.

All of my material is designed and developed to work in a large situation and of course I understand that many guys will have no experience of this type of work, and so will not completely understand the reasoning behind everything I do.

I also have come up with and purchased new and ground breaking material, and with some development it can be fun and entertaining to perform.

However over the last 10 years I performing I have found what works best for me and the environment I am generally booked to perform in.

Commercial, Simple and understandable.

Nimrod has his opinion and I have total respect for that.

The only thing I can tell you is that this material has provided me with a very successful career over the last decade with a growing number of television credits, between 150 and 200 stage shows a year performed around the world, and corporate booking list with many of the worlds top 100 companies.

Please don't get me wrong this is not intended to be a show off. Its purely a example of what can be achieved with Simple and Commercial material and routines.

So thank you Bobser for those wise words my friend. RESPECT !!!!!

Paul
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Nimrod not the best
Paul not the best
Nyman not the best
Derren not the best
There's no such thing as the best... each of us will be better each time we read, rehearse, perform etc.
There are performers that are suited for each group of people. You can't reach everyone and is there no problem with that.
Be happy and have fun, life is short Smile

This dvd is another BIG help for anyone interest in mentalism like myself.
This is an awesome project and I'm so glad Paul and Alakazam did it, congratulations for sharing/releasing your knowledge and experiences.
I hope in the future we can have more work like this from other performers aswell.

RESPECT!
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
Elcio,

Thank you for your kind words I am truly honoured by your comments, and I am delighted you have enjoyed my offerings on this DVD.

I also agree with your views.
I have learned from old professionals and people new to the scene. Everyone has something to give. We should all learn to respect our fellow performers.
Regards

Paul
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
This is a fantastic DVD and I don't believe was ever produced with the intention for the entire content on the DVD to be performed as one show.

My favourites were The Luckiest Day - there are so many possibilities to use the principals behind this, especially customisation for specific audiences.

I am currently working on using this for a travel type prediction (e.g. flight number, time, destination).

I have pre-ordered Psyclock and am anxiously waiting for it to be shipped...can't imagine the work that is inside that clock!
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Props for "My Luckiest Day" are finally in (after weeks of delays!), and I have several sets for sale in the For Sale section!

Cheers,

e
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Paul Stockman: "DIS-CONNECTED"

Thought I'd give my review of this DVD as I purchased it sometime ago.

PICK A CHAIR:
A long, drawn out and confusing chair test. Paul's patter was probably the most interesting aspect of this routine, but after watching it only once, I was still left confused as to what he was doing using an extremely elongated pencil to write on envelopes (considering it was a stage/cabaret show). Paul needs to learn that you cannot open your show with an eight minute Chair Test. In the art of performing there is something known as an "opener". Short, punchy and gets the audience right into what you claim to do.

HANDS-OFF BANK NIGHT:
Paul puts the entire effect into the hands of the spectator for yet another long and boring selection process. First the envelopes are on the table, but please don’t flash the bottoms of the envelopes, so let's keep them facedown, THEN bring out a stand for them, and then go into a long drawn out process of choosing one. One seriously needs to ask the question of whether this is all worth it for the sake of the performer not touching the envelopes. Is it? Slips of paper in the rest of the envelopes...just random slips of paper. Mhmm...think I've seen more meaningful bank nights...think Safwan Papers...

THE PENDANT CURSE:
Love him or hate him, I really hope someone has told Luke Jermay about this routine. It's so similar...A completely random thin story about a murder with a letter that looks like a 3 year old prepared. Was it just me, or was I the only one wondering what was INSIDE the pendant? Mhmm, and to have the tiny name engraved on it for a stage show? No Paul, that's called close-up stuff. Not even passing the pendant around AFTER the effect will help. Nice idea/concept, but needs some serious reworking for stage. What I really enjoyed were Paul and Peter trying to justify the "deeper psychology" about the scripting that "makes" the volunteer choose the specific picture. BULL. Can you say a Darker Dai?

BACK TO BECKER:
Honestly, one of THE MOST confusing, disjointed routines I have seen in a LONG time. Right this down with a pencil and I'll seal it up in an envelope, but let's write this down with a black sharpie here, and then I'll fold this paper up here, but let's first use a different table because "This one is too high". So I'll put this down here first, no wait, I'll pick it up again…and let me open this envelope randomly quick whilst I dump some other stuff behind me as I turn my back. Then, let’s put this paper in this clip here…
This entire sequence needs to be reworked. A great concept should not have been attempted to be redone. Becker's original routine was fun, colourful and had a great context. This routine is an abortion. Never mind the obvious methodology.
Terrible.

THE SWEET JAR:
Can you say “Lee Earl”? At least credit him somewhere Paul. This routine was interesting. Paul’s use of double-speak in this routine was gold. I really found this one piece to be of value. However, the 3 additional chairs, and then randomly dismissing the other two volunteers, does not work for me. This routine has potential, but Paul’s long soppy story did not work for me. A performer should never have to “ask” for an applause after a long, intimate and emotional story. If they don’t clap, you haven't connected with them buddy.

MY LUCKIEST DAY:
I have quite a lot to say about this routine.
Firstly, the positive points about this routine are that you have a large and visual revelation of your final prediction. This is key to a great ending to a show. I love the large lettering of the final prediction. Strong, visual and an instant moment of astonishment for the audience. I like the idea of the candle too.
Negative points include the re-writing of the information (the audience already have written down the information on slips of paper, why do it again?) The story for the justification for the tray is terrible. Honestly, I’m sure one can think of a better story. I found Paul’s handling of setting up this finale weak. It was obvious to me what was going on and I was not convinced that the audience actually understood what happened. I’m making a judgment based upon their lack of applause.

PSY-CLOCK:
When you end your show with a strong prediction, don’t throw in another disjointed one! We already had a time in our prediction, why do another one? Seriously. PSY-Clock is obvious and unnecessary. It also has the potential to ruin the pace of your show.

CONCLUSION:
I honestly do not care whether you think I’m being fair or not about my review. If you don’t like, deal with it. The effects themselves in this DVD are of value and their plots, context and methodology are worth exploring. I feel that Paul did not connect with his audience because I cannot remember any “wow” moments from the audience. There were way to many prediction effects from what the DVD describes as a “full 55 minute stand-up show”. The effects are badly routined and drag horribly. The credits on this DVD are poor, Paul claims that he has heard of certain effects, but cannot remember who it was. I’ll help you guys out here, so Paul and Peter next time take a few moments to credit the people as best you can. (Granted there is a SMALL thank-you to Ted Lesley)
LUKE JERMAY,LEE EARL,TED LESELY,LARRY BECKER.

I do respect PAUL for releasing this DVD to the Mentalism fraternity. It has nice packaging.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
[quote]On 2010-05-09 06:33, oralroberts wrote:
Paul Stockman: "DIS-CONNECTED"

HANDS-OFF BANK NIGHT:
. Mhmm...think I've seen more meaningful bank nights...think Safwan Papers...

Hey, thanks for the nice comment regarding THE SAFWAN PAPERS!
Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Ray Thompson
View Profile
New user
Des Moines, Iowa
60 Posts

Profile of Ray Thompson
The diversity of thinking and opinions among people an be seen so well in all the posts about "Connected". Though many of the criticisms of the DVD set have validity I cannot help but notice the few that are totally negative are posted by people who 1) ALWAYS have only negative comments in their postings; 2) ALWAYS brag about what working professionals they are (but, never post their real names).

These are effects that play well with the public and are not meant to impress magicians. And, yes I am am proud to say Paul is a friend of mine. Looking forward to seeing you at MINDvention 2010.
Ray Thompson, the Mind Wizard
www.hypnosisandmore.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Hi Ray, see you there again! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I thought the Stockman DVD set was just fine. I enjoyed the material presented, even if (as some have already mentioned) some the items were new dressings on old material.

I personally really liked the Pendant Curse, and will be using it.

I was satisfied with my purchase and feel I received fair value for my dollar.

Cheers.
Stockman
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Stockman
THE IMPOSSIBLE ENVELOPE is coming !

Look out for the trailer soon !
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 11:41, Stockman wrote:
THE IMPOSSIBLE ENVELOPE is coming !

Look out for the trailer soon !

I will! But when and where? Gee ... if I could only read minds ;-)

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Stockman: "Connected" DVD set modern mentalism release winter 2009 (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL