The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Starter Kit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I started my balloon twisting with a single pump, 100 balloons, and a DVD, all part of a starter kit on special. Balloons now pay the bills.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of something similar available for vents. Is there a kit with some good instruction and a practice dummy for $100 or so ($200? If not, could you please point me to a good starter DVD and the best brand of tube socks to make my first puppet.

I'm almost exclusively a children's entertainer and would love to add this element to my show.

Thanks.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Joker, when I first got into vent, my department had a McGruff puppet. It came with a video and tapes for talking. I watched the video to learn the mechanics of how to hold the puppet and work it.

Then, I learned from a professional ventriloquist from watching his acts and practicing in front of a mirror. I am not sure of any type of starter kit like you mentioned, but it is a good idea.

Since then, I have had three puppets custom made (soft type puppets) for each of my routines. The voice is important. I have always heard that it must fit the character of the puppet. As with McGruff, I already did an imitation of his voice, so that was not a problem.

For my police pig puppet, I made it more of a Mortimer Snerd and Goofy voice. The older looking Hesteni puppet has an older man's voice. The Inspector puppet uses a Colombo and Dirty Harry voice.

Hope someone can come on here and let you know if there is a starter kit. Good luck with this. I have enjoyed doing venting for years.

Glenn
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Thanks Glenn.

I am all for putting the hours in in front of a mirror, but I do believe that one has to be practicing the right way for it to be effective. So I want to find good beginner instruction so that I can practice correctly.
Jeff Wright
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Joker,

send me your email, and I'll send you a "Learn Ventriloquism in 30 days" PDF files I found on the net that might help you.

Donald Woodford
woodynfriends@aol.com
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Sent. Thanks.
Jeff Wright
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'd recommend you get the Paul Winchell video - available through Lee Cornell at Ventriloquism101.com

Winchell's video gives you the basics you need to know and is also the best I've seen at explaining the labials.

Also read through the information on the top locked post of this forum:
(Ventriloquism - looong... (BIlly James) )
It is extremely valuable to anyone starting.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Starter Kit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL