The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » 2 restaurants same center. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am currently working in a very nice restaurant in a smallish shopping center. In the area I work in there is a similar center every 2-3 "blocks".

There is a another place in the same center I would also like to work. What are your thoughts, ethical and otherwise, as to why or why not I should pursue this endeavor.

Thanks loads.

-Alec
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Are the managers friends?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
That I do not know. I doubt it.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Would you consider them direct competitors?

Would they consider each other direct competitors?

If so, I'd reconsider it; if not, it may work out OK.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
There are 7 sit down style restaurants as well as 3 others that are more on the fast food side in this small center. (I am amazed that that many can survive in such a small area.)
The one I am at now is packed at night and is more of a sports bar/restaurant, the other is a ribs place that has a bar but is much smaller and has live music from time to time. When I left the busy sports one and entered the ribs place, there were 3 people in the place.
So they are not the same style and they are at opposite ends of the center.

Alec
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
But, how do they view each other? Does the sports bar's owner think that if the ribs place's business grows it will be at the expense of his sports bar? Does the ribs place's owner fear that prosperty of the sports bar necessarily means a drop in patronage at his ribs place?

As long as you're up front with each owner, there's no ethical problem. However, if they view each other as "the competition" (more specifically, if the sports bar's owner (bird-in-the-hand) views the ribs place as his competition), you risk alienating both.

I'd say that you need to determine how each views the other, and to do so in a manner that doesn't risk your current position if you discover that they're bitter rivals.

Hypnosis, perhaps?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Or maybe just ask. I am sure the sports bar could not care less about the ribs place. Sports bar very busy, ribs dead.

Alec
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Generally, the job of a restaurant Magician is to provide entertainment designed to draw patrons to the restaurant he or she is working at. It also means that those restaurant patrons won't be eating at another establishment.

You decide. Do you owe any loyalty to the first place that hired and promoted you?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am not sure I buy your premise. There are a number of people on these forums and entertainers in general who play/sing/magish at several places during the week.

Also I am not so sure if our job is to draw patrons, but to entertain and keep the ones who are there.

Just my opinion.

I think I should just talk to the owners/gm of both and see whats up.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I appreciate them.

Alec
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
Coming at it from a standard business ethics viewpoint, you should run it by the sports bar first. Be upfront, tell them you've been offered a couple nights or whatever at the rib place and you want/need the extra business. This opens the door for the sports bar to give their blessing, enter negotiations for exclusivity with you, or give you the ultimatum of it's us or them. You can enter the discussion with the sports bar prepared for any of these three options. Also, this is just good business. It sounds like you have no cause to burn the sports bar job and that they're a steady gig. Why tick them off by trying to keep it secret for the rib joint that may decide after a night to kick you to the curb?

I think the only 'problem' here is the location. If the rib place was across town, it really wouldn't be any of the sports bars business where else you worked. Being in the same shopping center though, I'd say you owe it to them just because it's their turf.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Agreed. I will probably not even go to the rib place.
Who wants BBQ sauce on your sponge balls anyway.

Alec
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
That was my issue. Both restaurants being in the same general location.
DrMagicMike
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of DrMagicMike
Not sure of the ethical questions... I think a lot goes into making that decision. I can pass on my own experience:

I worked for 4 years at two rest/bars that were in direct competition with each other and were only a few blocks from each other. Both new I was at one on Wednesday and the other on Thursday. I actually used restaurant #1 to get #2 to hire me! I told him that I worked at one of his competitors down the street and how much his customers enjoyed the magic. He ON THE SPOT hired me.

Was this a "one in a million" shot? Maybe. But I don't think so.

I agree with Renaldo, it would be good business to run it by the Sports Bar first... but remember... we are in business as well and are simply "independent contractors" able to perform wherever we choose without the level of loyalty that a regular employee should have. That said, I think there is a happy median and personal integrity to consider.

Good luck!
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Indepenent Contractors in any industy should not work simultaneously for two (or more) different competitors. It is unloyal to do so and contracts may even include such stipulations or even a full blown non-compete agreement.
I've hired independent contractors in the internet industry and it's infuriating when you find out that they are taking the logic they wrote for you and sell it to your competition.
The correct course of action here is to first determine if the Sports Bar considers the Rib restaurant competition or not. If they do, negotiate. Even if you have to walk away from the Rib restaurant offer with no more money from the Sports Bar, you will demonstrate your loyalty and ethics to the Sports Bar (by not accepting the offer from the competition) and extend your engagement or get other perks.
Being in demand is good thing. Being greedy is not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » 2 restaurants same center. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL