The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » LinkedIn » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4622 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
This is the same post that I put on "little Darlings".....because I know many of my kid-entertainer friends will never visit this section of the Café. I've previously suggested links to other magicians' websites here at the Café, but no one seemed interested. Yesterday I had an invitation to join LinkedIn. If you're unaware of Linked In, it's a valuable business networking site. My webmistress friend says it's a fantastic way to optimise your website, as well as showing that you're a serious business owner. Clients can post testamonials, and the links will mean your website goes higher up the search engines. In the UK, there is massive competition for the Birthday Party market from "activity parties". But magicians don't want to link directly to other magicians, in case they lose business. This provides a way to link with other magicians, whilst keeping those links pretty well hidden from clients.
I'd be happy to link with any other full-time working professionals - PM me with your email address, and I'll send an invitation. Or, just put your email address on this thread, and anyone reading it will be able to invite you directly.

Let the linking commence!
Potty
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Not sure how you can keep some contacts private and others visible. If someone posts a testimonial on your Linkedin page, they have to be a contact (don't they???) If they are, they then see you linked with a whole lot of other performers/magicians. I don't want to get my customers confused! I keep my Linkedin for business only ie. specific suppliers, meeting planners, clients etc. I have only 1 or 2 "other" entertainers on my Linkedin and even they can offer some alternate services to my customers.

Would love to know how you can keep some contacts not visible to other contacts.

B
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4622 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You don't need to worry about your contacts being visible - do you think your clients will start to search for entertainers through your LinkedIn pages? Highly unlikely. They will search using the Google search engine. You have to put yourself into the mindset of your clients. They really don't have the time to trawl through your contacts on LinkedIn, finding random entertainers, amongst all kinds of other folks - when they could just do a Google search.
:)
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

My Linkedin is a page for my contacts to use. My weekly updates to my page goes out to all my contacts, which include event planners etc. Do you think I want to give them a list of other performers when they visit my page?

I also send folks to my page to use my contacts (these are called referrals!) ie. I have 2 event florists on my Linkedin who I would recommend, and who have seen my work and also recommend me. I don't carry their cards with me, so by being the "go to" guy for help when folks ask, raises my credibility to all of them.

You still did not answer my question thoough, if you have a customer who wants to leave a testimonial on your page, do they not have to be a "contact" on your page first???

What kind of "business" do you use your Linkedin page for?? If not for clients, if not for event planners and agents, then for what??

I am failing to see how a "serious" business owner ie. a professional magician would have 25 other magicians (or more) on their business page. What am
I missing?? Or are you using it only to move your site up?

I have not read all the ins and outs of Linkedin, but if you can let me know the above, it would be appreciated.

B
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I am using it to contact talent bookers for cruise lines or theme parks, among other contacts.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

So Neale, if you were adding these folks to your "contacts", would you want another dozen or so vents to listed amongst them on your page?? I'm not sure how this works out for a business.

Blair
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5129 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » LinkedIn » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL