The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yellow Pages + Business Line (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
After being in the Yellow Page phone directory for so many years, I'm finally dropping out because I personally believe this particular medium is dying fast. However, that's not the real reason for this post.

In order to advertise in the directory, you needed a business phone line which costs more than a regular phone line.

For those individuals who have already dropped out of the Yellow Pages, did you then go with a regular phone, or did you keep your business phone line?

Thanks,

Gerry
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I totally dropped both. Not in the yellow pages and no longer have a land line.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I still have a business line, but I totally cut back on my yellow page advertising. I'm just sticking with the basic listings that are included with having a business line.

Also, because of competition, the phone company called and offered me a better monthly rate on my business line (like, a full 1/3 less than I was paying).

I had to commit to 12 months of service to get the lower rate.

So, you might be able to contact your phone company and get a better rate on your business line.

In Canada, this is possible because of LNP (Local Number Portability), which means that with many numbers, you can keep your phone # as you switch from one company to another. LNP applies to both land lines and cell lines.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Gerry,

I keep the Yellow Pages and business line.

The YP's still get us leads and shows, but far more important, I get a toll free number because of my business line for FREE. All I have to pay is 3 cents a minute for incoming calls.

The toll free number is worth its weight in gold to us. If, however, the majority of your shows are from clients that aren't long distance, than maybe it would not be as appealing to you.

Also, being an honest person, as I am sure you all are, by having a business line and a second personal number, I can write off 100% of my business line expenses. If I only had a cell phone and used it for both personal and business, I could not honestly write it all off and would have to do some investigative accounting each month to determine the amount that was personal and the amount that is business related.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2484 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Have not had a yellow page ad in 7 years but do have a business line as well as an answering service.

They take the message and then email the info direct to me. I then follow up with the client.

This allows me to be any where any time and my clients get a live person each time.

I am totally ticked off at how many times I call some place and have to wait 2-3 minutes or a lot more before I get a real person as well as If I am calling to get some one and get the machine its like Ahhhhh. I want my clients to feel like they got through to me or that their message is not sitting on some Voice mail or machine in hopes of some one calling them back.

One other plus is that if a client is just going down the list of magicians calling each one they will most likely book the firt one that answers. Now I know its an answer service but they tell the client some one will be with them shortly and I am.

I agree phone book is becoming obsolete but still needed and used by a lot of people. You would be surprised how many people still use it.

Later got to run to a show now
bye
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I stopped advertising the phone book a decade ago when their prices just got too high for the ads. Then dropped my listing completely when my analytics proved to me that Google was my main source of non-referral leads and I received only two calls from the phonebook for the entire year.

Here's a tangent question... anyone else using Google Voice? I got two Google Voice phone numbers and each routes directly to my cell phone.

However, if it does go to voicemail, I can have custom voicemail messages, depending on the number (both of the caller OR the number they dialed).

Then, seconds later, I receive an email with a complete transcription of their voicemail, with their number.

This makes searching for info very easy. It's just like searching for a text string in my regular gmail account.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I still get some calls off my yellow pages ad, but I can't justify the expense. I plan on going to just my business name and number when it is time to renew the ad
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
I have always just used a cell. I find that advertising money is better spent outside of phone directories. Like some other posters, I found that the one year I had a YP add, it didn't lead to much work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yellow Pages + Business Line (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL