The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Slappy's Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I liked his routine. Fuzzy balls . . . he says fuzzy balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvd-Su9HX8

KG
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Enjoyed it, too! And I can confirm, he did indeed say fuzzy balls...
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
A delight -- story, engagement, having fun ...

His sharing the surprise while peeking into the empty cup is a great touch.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Brandon Hall's Fuzzy Balls, he's a poet and he don't know it!

What a fun rendition of the Mendoza routine. Me thinks the ch***** ball needs a little adjustment, and the timing on (or confidence in) the final loads could use a little work, but an enjoyable performance none the less. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nicely done.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Very nice. I dug it. I can't help but think when working with a combo set that slamming (or rough handling) all of the cups all of the time might eliminate some head scratching, though.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The slamming is the one part I didn't care for. Loved the routine otherwise. He either needs some lighter balls, some thicker padding on his table, or do as you say and slam them all equally. Come to think of it, he can't really do that either some of the time. He reaches a bit too far under the table for the loads, but hopefully that's just "magician eyes." But I suspect the audience will notice it, too.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Nice routine! It's rare when a C&B routine will hold my attention like that one did.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The *balls* joke has gotten very old with me, personally, but....
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 13:23, Dave V wrote:
The slamming is the one part I didn't care for. Loved the routine otherwise. He either needs some lighter balls, some thicker padding on his table, or do as you say and slam them all equally. Come to think of it, he can't really do that either some of the time. He reaches a bit too far under the table for the loads, but hopefully that's just "magician eyes." But I suspect the audience will notice it, too.

I quite agree with Dave V. As far as the final load steals, I would think an audience would notice, especially when done four times.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I do like the fact that his cups don't go all the way out of sight at the crucial moment.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 20:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
I do like the fact that his cups don't go all the way out of sight at the crucial moment.

You're right, the cups don't go out of sight, but his left hand does. And each time it does, it obviously comes back with a ball which is stuffed into a cup. The move was bad the first time. Four times makes it really, really bad. You don't have to have 'magician eyes' to see it either.

Maybe some of you think I'm harsh. Maybe I am. I love magic, and I appreciate really good magic. Mr. Hall's routine certainly has potential. There are a number of things good about his routine, and there are things which aren't so good. He does a sloppy addition of a working ball at about 2 min. ten seconds into the routine. I'm sure he realized this himself, but for some reason decided not to retake. He thumps the chop more then he should. Too much too often can and will arouse suspicion. People are aware of m-----s. As far as I'm concerned, the chop addition to the cups and balls has been wonderful. BUT it must be used sparingly to be effective.
The main fault with the routine is, of course, the way in which the final balls are loaded. I have my ideas already on what would work better. This is a forum which can be accessed by anyone, so I really don't feel right about going into it.

These are just my opinions, Mr.Hall. I mean them simply as constructive.
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
I really liked the routine and didn't find the final loads to be that bad. From my own experiences, most people never notice sloppy loads or one cup being slammed down harder than the others. I suppose skilled C&B workers cringe at such things, but your average audience member doesn't seem to.

Mark
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 22:48, MMark wrote:
I really liked the routine and didn't find the final loads to be that bad. From my own experiences, most people never notice sloppy loads or one cup being slammed down harder than the others. I suppose skilled C&B workers cringe at such things, but your average audience member doesn't seem to.

Mark

Don't count on it. People do notice sloppy work, especially when repeated. People often remain quiet about it... but not always.
Chester M
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan, Canada
24 Posts

Profile of Chester M
I do agree with wandboy. I've noticed over the 40 some years of performing and working with other magicians, we want to say "Bravo" to every magician we see. Thankfully, a forum like this should allow us to be honest, sometimes brutally honest. But....think about it - if we tell a fellow performer that looks great, then we'd better state from our eyes or, possibly, the eyes of a lay person. Lay people are not stupid. They are often polite, which unfortunately will not help us as performers. Thus, we should be able to rely on fellow magicians to tell the truth no matter how hard it may be to swallow. It's in the name of not good but great performances.

On 2009-10-05 20:55, Chester M wrote:
Sorry, forgot to note that Mr. Hall's concept is wonderful. In my likings, not there yet, but the idea he is going for is spot on! The pounding and the (to me) obvious steals can be massaged out to become a real performance item. Keep it going, Mr. Hall!
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
First, I want to say "Thank You" to Kent for posting this here. I, personally, was not as aware of the "pounding" until I viewed it. My c****** ball could use some tweaking. I just don't want to risk a "hang-up" in performance and am trying to mask the slamming as over-enthusiasm. I will work on that more, so it comes across as enthusiasm. As for the steals, they are very close by, not requiring me to reach. I'm actually leaning down to table level to look under the cups, but with my arm in my lap, it DOES look suspicious. I will work on that. I appreciate all the comments and just hope it was entertaining.

Brandon "Slappy" Hall
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
It's hard to do cups and balls on video. If you rehearse in front of a camera, you can really improve your performance because the camera sees ALL weaknesses.
Of course, those weaknesses are not nearly as strong in REAL LIFE because human beings are NOT unmoving, unblinking camera eyes, and they respond to your direction. Don't beat yourself up over the weaknesses, just tweak them until you are satisfied.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 11:27, Slappy wrote:
First, I want to say "Thank You" to Kent for posting this here. I, personally, was not as aware of the "pounding" until I viewed it. My c****** ball could use some tweaking. I just don't want to risk a "hang-up" in performance and am trying to mask the slamming as over-enthusiasm. I will work on that more, so it comes across as enthusiasm. As for the steals, they are very close by, not requiring me to reach. I'm actually leaning down to table level to look under the cups, but with my arm in my lap, it DOES look suspicious. I will work on that. I appreciate all the comments and just hope it was entertaining.

Brandon "Slappy" Hall

Mr. Hall, so glad you didn't mind the critiques. Your routine is entertaining and, with 'tweaking,' will become more magical and, therefore, more entertaining. Everyone has their own opinions and ideas on stealing and loading those big balls. I really believe a performer has more methods to choose from if he/she stands to perform.

Two problems occur when seated. First, a ball is harder to load into a cup if seated because if the performer is seated, he can't very well swing his arm down to his side. You could, but it would look ridiculous. If one is standing, swinging your arm down to your side can look quite natural. This can be a real advantage. In your routine, you load four big balls. All four are loaded exactly the same way. The cup is mouth down each time, and the ball shoved up and in. If standing, you could load it the way you're doing it, OR you could swing your arm down to your side so the cup is mouth up and simply drop the ball in. Even better, use both methods or even a third method? And all of this will really help to sell the "where the **** did those big balls come from?"
The second problem (as I see it) when seated is audiences are aware of a lap. They have one, too.

As far as my opinions about standing as opposed to seated.... I'll just wait until someone chimes in about Bebel's or Gertner's great routines... that ought to shut me up.
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
I totally agree and would love to find a "standing" routine that I'm happy with...I just haven't. I fell in love with this routine (John Mendoza's) immediately and spent years (yeah, really) working it and trying to come up with patter that I was happy with and that suited my personality. Still, the loads have to come from somewhere, and I rarely wear jackets/coats unless I'm at the Castle, which is where the lap comes in. However, being that it IS a seated routine, I rarely have the opportunity to perform it, so in that way, a standing routine is more practical...
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Yes, a standing routine is definitely more practical. There are a number of sources for routines, both in videos and in literature. I won't start listing them; besides, there are more qualified people here to do that then me. Why not try and stick with the general routine you're doing? With a few changes, your steals will be far less noticeable. If wearing a jacket helps, then wear a jacket. When performing close-up/parlour type of magic, I personally like to wear a jacket. Pockets, I love pockets, and you have a lot more pockets if you wear a jacket. Also, when it comes to steals, a jacket offers MORE than just pockets. I say stick with the general routine you're doing because you like it, and liking the routine you're doing is important.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Slappy's Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL