The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who Will Stand With Me? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..17..26..35..44..53..56~57~58 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3616 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Mary-

If it will still play, here is one of my favs for patter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc

Robert Harbin. Enjoy!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Jim,

I really enjoyed the Harbin's performance but I'm looking to create my own. I've got a list of reasons to tear but I never thought of that one. It really shows how original thinking can brighten up an effect, even one you already like.

Thanks for the link.

Just made up the whole trick (which is involved but can be used several times) without checking to see if the grain of the paper ran in the right direction for the workings (it did not). DOU! I'll never make that mistake again.

- Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Sorry to chuckle, Mary, but that one made me laugh. Mostly, 'cause it is so "me"...
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
Good evening,

Did everyone have a relaxing weekend?

My first week of practice didn't go quite as planned, but I did complete two 40 minute sessions practicing the overhand shuffle, and overhand shuffle run (in the context of Lew Brooks' Bughouse Poker). I'm going to perform the effect for my wife tomorrow evening.

Oddly enough, I'm going to need quite a bit of practice to make my overhand shuffle look natural. The riffle shuffle was the first and only shuffle I learned as a child.

My main point of focus for the run is making my thumb position appear similar to my normal overhand shuffle. When I perform a normal overhand my thumb contacts the upper right edge of the deck. For the run, my thumb contacts the middle of the top of the deck. I've been trying to start my thumb at upper right edge and proceed down to the middle before performing the run to give my run the same feel as my normal overhand shuffle.

I decided to finish "The Toyota Way", before starting on Nelms' book. Basically I don't want to leave a book half-read, and I believe a lot of the principles can be applied to the creation and organization of effects.

How is everyone else faring in their sessions?

Have a great start to your week!

~ Nathan
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
BlueOwl- great name, Nathan! Smile

Okito box and something with the Cups and Balls for me, right now.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

For Ohio, last weekend was a keeper! Yes, spring, yes.

My sessions are going fairly well. I just need to quit buying stuff. Just got TKO and am hot to try this puppy out. So, keeping focus is the key for me. But, then, I just HAD to get EB2, and can't wait to see the improvement in what I considered an almost perfect illusion. Focus, focus...

Over the weekend I finally had time to hear the Joanie Spina interview on Magic Wire. A ton of really good performance info on that session- well worth the listen, I think.

Nathan, a couple of 40 minute sessions ain't bad at all- every session helps! I do a good bit of shuffling practice, and would say inserting a run into a normal overhand is hard. Sounds like you are going about it just the right way. I have also learned to listen as I practice such things. A good ear can hear the run unless you work on eliminated the snap of the cards. The other thing I work on is the cadence- I see so many who speed up on the run, a dead tell. Some things to think about...

Good to hear we are generally on track...

Regards, all...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hello all, just checking in.

Working on the News Flash. Having trouble with hand strength on the third tear but I'm exercising my fingers.

I could use a tool or alternate handling but the original handling looks so clean I want to do it that way.

I'm putting in the time but as with all T&R there's a lot of prep. time so not much actual practice. Oh well.

Best wishes to all.

- Mary Mowder
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
319 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On 2010-03-22 21:15, mandarin wrote:
. . . My sessions are going fairly well. I just need to quit buying stuff. Just got TKO and am hot to try this puppy out. So, keeping focus is the key for me. But, then, I just HAD to get EB2, and can't wait to see the improvement in what I considered an almost perfect illusion. Focus, focus...

Sounds like you folks are really dedicated to practice and rehearsal time. I applaud your convictions!

If you feel “guilty” about just fooling around and not really doing anything constructive, allow yourself a set amount of “playtime.” Limit yourself to only that amount of time to “play” and then back get to work. This helps to focus on the task at hand, avoid “wanderitis” and elevate guilt feelings about not really working.

Sometimes, great ideas result from “playtime”, so don’t think it is a complete waste of time.

Again, I admire your efforts. Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Gerald
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
Good afternoon everyone,

I'll be honest, I only put in 10 minutes of practice on my overhand shuffle. However I did perform a version of Bughouse Poker, and my audience enjoyed the story and effect. While I did not practice much, I have made some progress in my book the Toyota Way. This is an excellent book with a lot of principles that will apply to magic and being a teacher! Too bad Toyota didn't follow their own principles...

I plenty of practice time alotted this past week, but spent most of it browsing new effects. This wandering has cost me quite a bit of practice time over the past two months. To eliminate this destraction, I created a two year budget with my wishlist items, that I am now locked into. Hopefully this will ward off the tempation to look for and review new items to buy.

Jim - Thank you for the tips. Both the "snap" and cadence are causing me some trouble. I definitely tense up and speed up a bit when performing the run. I'm going to work on relaxing and feeling more natural while performing the sleight.

Before I imposed my budget and effect browsing/spending freeze, I purchased Sanders' Fibre Optics and EB2 for a party I want to perform at this October. EB2 is awesome, but I've put it aside until I get a better grasp of some card basics. Also, I recently stumbled upon the Magic Newswire, and wow, what a treasure trove of advice and information. I downloaded all of the podcasts available on iTunes, but probably won't make it to the Spina interview for some time (I'm looking forward to it though).

Mary - Good luck as you work through the third tear. I'm not familiar with the method, but I've always been a fan a fitting a routine to your style. With some brainstorming you may be able to create an alternate handling to suite your finger/grip strength while still looking just as clean.

Have a great week everyone!

~ Nathan
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Gerald-

Good to have you look in on us! I consider your "The Ostrich Factor" a treasure-trove of great info on practicing and rehearsing. I use it all the time for my practice sessions, especially for more complex routines. Hope you will continue to stop by and give us some tidbits. I agree that "all work and no play" just doesn't work, at least not for me.

Nathan, nice to hear from you! Nothing wrong with 10 minutes- it all counts. I like your budget idea. What I need to budget most is time, although I am starting to realize it is more a prioritization challenge than anything else. Especially if I am tired, it is too easy to just sit and cruise the forum. Need to turn that around and get that half hour in first, while I still have a little energy...

Good luck to all with your practice sessions...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Not much regular practice but occasional long sessions. That actually seems to work better for News Flash.

Still working on the Rope and Ring and Rope routine.

Laurie- I love Okito routines and you don't see them often anymore. Good luck.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

-Mary
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
Hi everyone,

I had two full sessions last week which focused on the overhand shuffle and run. Even though I haven't put in a full 4 sessions per week, I am noticing quite an improvement. The shuffle feels much more comfortable, and cards fly out only rarely now. I did consult Card College and adjusted my grip slightly. The run is also improving, but am still working on matching the rhythm to the normal overhand.

Jim - How is practice going? Is EB2 stealing some time away (it is a fun effect)?

Mary - Hope your longer sessions for News Flash are going well, as well as your progress on the Rope & Ring & Rope.

Laurie - An Okito box routine sounds cool, and I've always love watching a good cups & balls routine. How are your sessions going?

Good luck to everyone! Have a fun end of the week.

~ Nathan
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, all.

I've been waiting while trying to acquire some black and white balls to use with the cups. Got hold of some pom poms yesterday and gave them a try. Ended up playing with those for a few hours and had much fun, indeed. Will be doing a routine with just two cups, a little something different, I hope. Will be a new piece for the animals. The okito routine is an old one I found on David Roth's excellent video on the okito box. One I practiced for awhile before starting to work on the animal act. Picking it up again. No animals in this one, but there is a lovely bell, and I'll be working with my 1949 Franklin halves. Doing a little reading as well, got a line-up of books waiting for me to pick them up. Just got a copy of Peter Samelson's Theatrical Close-Up, which I think might be right up my alley. Have only read a little of the intro, so far, though. Almost done reading The Art of Close-Up Magic vol.1 by Ganson, took a look at vol.2 the other day. And want to get back to Greater Magic, as well- I've left it at about page 100... will be picking it up again very soon, I hope. Smile

Laurie
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Talk about frustration- sitting on a plane for 3 hours with cards, coins and ropes when I realized there was no way I could practice without some serious exposure. I was able to work on a couple of card things, mostly shuffles, the mongrel pass and clocking. So, not a total loss.

Hey, Nathan. Unbelievably, I have not been able to get to EB2 yet, other than looking at the gimmick. Other than that, practice has been going well. I have started going thru Bobo's book from page one, and it is amazing the coin stuff that can be found in that book- lots of which is being re-painted and sold as new in many DVD's around today. Of course, that is not limited to Bobo.

Just signed for the Columbus Arts Fest this June, and it should be interesting. Generation Gap will be performing at the Museum of Art, where the exhibit this year is Chihuly. So, we are trying to come up with glass-type effects. In addition, we will be doing a busking-type booth at the Fest proper, so we need to have 2 different types of performance to performance level by early June.

Good to hear from all of you... keep up the practice, if you only have a little time, use it! I am feeling it all adds up!

Good wishes, I am off to catch the fishes...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm off the daily regular practice with the News Flash for a while.

I've got to work on my Library Show so I need to spread my practice out among effects (which I like much better).

Jim, I feel your pain. Your plane trip sounds like doing jury duty.

Blue owl, There is a great false shuffle that uses overhand shuffle position so your work can do double duty when you're ready to move on. Keep up the good work.

Laurie, I'm also picking up a couple of books waiting at the Library. MMMMM new books.

Anyone know how todsky's doing?

- Mary Mowder
Ade2010
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Ade2010
Excellent thread, I'm in.

Name: Adrian Hague

Routine: Appointment in Samarra (Darwin Ortiz)

Time Spent: In total I'd say 1 hour (the routine itself takes 5-7 mins to perform.)

Sessions per week: Two: Saturday morning, Sunday morning, every weekend I'm home.

Projected Date of Competency: Hmmm, I'd say around about now (sorry, I'm late joining the thread!)

Current status: I have the moves down pat except one small 'kink' (there always seems to be at least one kink in any routine I try...) which I'm currently working on with full dress rehersal (some of the misdirection requires certian things in certian places, which is only achievable with a jacket).

I have 90% of the routines' patter comitted to memory, although most of it is verbatim from the book. I have still yet to adopt it to my own performing style.

The routine is integrated ino my act, in what I believe is the correct position with respect to the dramatic curve of the act.

I have so far performed the effect for laypeople twice. The first time was 50/50. The one area of the routine I thought I was weak on flew by unoticed. Unfortunately, my nerves lead to some gratuitous (and unnecessary) handling of the deck, leading to some heat at exactly the wrong moment!

The second performance went a lot smoother. I think I may have lost the specs a little with the introduction to the routine (a very short story), but it was late, and the booze had been flowing a bit.

Basically what I need now is more performance experience in order to be able to work on my delivery of the piece, and to make sure it is in the correct place in my act.

Fortunately, I have a been invited to a couple of weddings lately, so I'll reprt back here after those performances.

Keep up the good work everyone,

Ade.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Adrian-

Welcome! I am enjoying a little R&R at the moment, but wanted to extend to you a very heartfelt and sincere invitation into our small group of doers. Your practice schedule sounds great, and one I have used before. Look forward to hearing of your improvement and ideas as we move (hopefully) upward...

Thanks for joining us...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome in Ade2010,

Sounds like you've already been practicing so keep up the good work.

- Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Just checking in to see how everyone is coming with their practice sessions. My coin work is really improving, and it feels good to be able to pull a few coins from your pocket and do some good magic at anytime. I am also working on Steve Youell's Mongrel Pass, and tho a long way from performance I am surprised how much it is improving. How's things with each of you?

Regards,

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've been thinking this thread might benefit from a sidekick in the Secret Sessions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who Will Stand With Me? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..17..26..35..44..53..56~57~58 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL