The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Reasonable Investment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Didn't read all the post.
But, buy a small ad and keep it reasonable. Most parent ads less than $100
Grow from there.
Classified ads are great at times.

Get on sites like gigsalad, gigmasters, and partypop. Over the long run they pay off!
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
For what its worth I don't generally advertise in magazines, but I did once in a local magazine and only got one response. However that one response became a series of over 30 full price shows. Obviously, in that case I did both poorly and exceptionally well.

Gil
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
785 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Donald,

I didn't say invest in a full page ad for one month. My very first post said, "I'd definitely try to run ads for more than 1 month."

I also said if the price difference between a half-page and full-page ad isn't too substantial and more than he can afford, then it would be a good investment.

The main point of my last post was that a full page ad has nothing competing with it. This is a fact, not theory. There's nothing else on that 1 page except you.

You say, "The people with larger ads are not tracking their results, or are going for image advertising, or are selling something different."

What does that have to do with YOUR full page ad? You drove my point home...the people with full page ads are selling something different, so you will be the only one selling magic. Who says you need a small ad just because every other magician markets that way?

I merely stated facts about having a full page ad as opposed to sharing space with 8 other ads on one page. Charles can use that information however he wishes.

T.J.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7405 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I guess I beat around the bush in asking my question. So I'll ask it directly.

Thomas, have you ever tried a full page ad in a parent magazine, for a birthday party magic show?

Also, have you ever tried a smaller ad in a parent magazine, for a birthday party magic show?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
785 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I have not.

If you've done both and have data that prove the size and placement of the smaller ad are what got you more gigs over a full page ad I'd be interested to see it.

T.J.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2484 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Done both and the smaller wins hands down here's why.

Parents know about the party section in these publications and go directly there to look at the entertainment choices therefore they never see you full page ad!

However I guess if you can get it printed on the back cover or inside front cover then maybe it may work but that's a huge investment for little return in my opinion.

Again your one page ad will not be noticed --- I take that back it will be noticed but most likely after they have booked the show with some one else.

I know this from 20 years experience and 9 of those years doing ads and my little $100 (used to be $65 years ago) got me all the birthday parties I wanted.

I do not advertise any more as mentioned above in another post by me as I have moved on to bigger things. I still do b-day parties as I am not afraid to take their $325 for a 45 minute show.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7405 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm glad that Sam chimed on with his experience.

I have stuck with the smaller ad for two reasons. It's on the party directory pages, where people go for information. (What Sam said.) Your ad among others is not a bad thing.

Even in the gutter position it still pulls for me.

I have not tried larger ads in a parent magazine, but I can see a couple of problems (here is my opinion / theory).

1. It's easy to pass over a whole page, that just has one ad. Easy to miss it completely. Also, if they go to look for it later on, it might be harder to find. Sometimes they don't need your services right away, but go back to the ad later on. If it's by it's lonesome on a page, it might actually be harder to find, than if it was on one of the "party directory" pages.

2. You can be perceived as too expensive. (Sam also said this earlier.)

While I haven't tried larger ads in a parent magazine, I have tried larger ads and ads with more color in the yellow pages, back in their hayday (before the internet started to make a difference). Fancier / larger ads did not produce better results for me in that medium, so I suspect the same of an ad in a parent magazine.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I have had BOTH full-page as well as half-page as well as quarter page ads in the yellow pages and the smaller add always out-pulled the full-page. Actually, the full-page produced a big fat ZERO, Nadda, Zip, Nuthin’!

Truth be told, the BEST pulling strategy, BY FAR, has always been the ‘free’ bold listings you get with your business line! Hands Down! (When done correctly!)

Remember, for me it was NOT a Parent or Traditional paper… it was the Yellow Pages, BUT a full page is really just a half-page unless you buy the full ‘double-truck’. (which is the other facing page so you have the FULL two-page spread) so the ‘stand alone’ idea is really a theory to be tested.

Regardless of the size of our ads is the “effectiveness” of your marketing… balance of powerful copy and well laid out design (though IF I were forced to choose, it would be powerful, persuasive copy every-time!, but thankfully I am NOT forced to choose between them)

The ONLY ‘full-page’ work that has ever produce any returns has been the ‘advertorial’. Plain ol’ full-page ads just don’t pull worth their weight and get looked over “for too many reasons to list here”, based on my experience as well as those of my members over the years.

Just another round of insights and experiences shared… hope that adds to the mix. Do with it what you will.

“Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!”
…are you ready for ‘The B.I.G. $uccess rEvolution’!?

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Thinking of YOU & Your Success…) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
My parent magazine started to really slide. It started pretty well with me booking a few shows a month from it. Then it started going down hill to the point that I was booking one show from it per month. At that point it became too expensive to advertise in there. $100.00 is too much money to spend to get one show. Your area may be different and I hope it is but you should definitely stick with it for at least 6 months.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Thanks Ry-Meister! - Truth speaks louder than words! (In this case... both)

Either way, I say GO Guerilla… do what-ever it takes (That is moral, ethical and honest) to get in-front of your target eyeballs… if ya’ don’t have money, you likely have TIME, Talent & Creativity! (Hey, even if ya' DO have money!)

USE IT!

“Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!”
…are you ready for ‘The B.I.G. $uccess rEvolution’!?

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (is both Guerrilla AND Gorilla all at the same time…) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
785 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Donald,

My perception was that your ad shared the page with a bunch of random ads. Since yours is in a section where all the other ads are party related, then the smaller ad would make more sense because the placement and position in the magazine is more important than the size. Sorry that I misunderstood that it was solely a party section in which your ad was placed.

Regarding high price perception of a full page ad, this could be good or bad I think. If your target market consists of people willing to pay a steep price, a full page ad would probably help rather than hurt. Since most people might not be willing, the smaller ad is probably more ideal. It's a good point that I hadn't factored in.

Best,

T.J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Reasonable Investment? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL