The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on using magic in my other business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
At some business seminar a while back someone told me find out what makes you you and enhance that in a service you can perform that no one else does.

I have two jobs:

1. Magic and Entertainment.

2. Benefit & Charity Auctioneering.

To be honest with you my second (live auctioneer) job can pay very very well. Uusally much more than magic. There have been several events I have even been hired at a March Of Dimes or Charity Foundations to be the auctioneer and also the entertainment after the event. (However that is very rare) I usually do charity auctions for big dinner events on weekends.. Well known or finacially well off people (usually) at times they have a silent auction, dinner and awards etc. Then have me (the auctioneer)to sell 5-10 items to the crowd at this black tie affair. That small amount of items takes about 30 minutes because its actually a form of entertainment selling to the crowd.

I have been adding a few tricks to get the crowd to bid more at times. I usually use my fire wallet and say "I don't wanna burn a whole in your wallet." Or use the Mic to money effect and turn the mic into cash to talk about how my job is to take this mic and turn it into money for this event. Close up I use Extreme burn a lot to talk about take one dollar from one person and another from someone else and how we transform that into hundreds.

I have considered buying an expensive "Snow Storm" by Kevin James and using that as some form of close to the auction event some how with a short story about the gift.

1. I am wondering if any of you from a business stand point can give me advice on how to market this aspect?

2. What effects do you think would play well in this mix as well?
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I'll be interested in what others have to say, but from my perspective, an auctioneer is "kind of" like an emcee. So sprinkling some magic in your presentation sounds to me, perfectly appropriate.

As far as advice on marketing that "aspect" I believe you're asking how would you present to prospective customers that you're a magical auctioneer? If so, then I think you have a huge advantage - as would any speaker or presenter who brings something "extra" to the table.

I would include in your promotional materials that what sets you apart from the other auctioneers is your magical and entertainment background which translates to greater audience participation and attention to what's happening during the presentation - which means an appreciable "bump" in the proceeds for the evening.

The fact you're a magician isn't what sells you ... what sells you is the fact that using your special talents can increase the amount of money raised at their function.

But as I said, I would like to see what others have to say about this, because I've never seen a magical auctioneer and my comparison with an emcee may be way-off.

Oscar
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 11:28, Oscar999 wrote:
I'll be interested in what others have to say, but from my perspective, an auctioneer is "kind of" like an emcee. So sprinkling some magic in your presentation sounds to me, perfectly appropriate.

As far as advice on marketing that "aspect" I believe you're asking how would you present to prospective customers that you're a magical auctioneer? If so, then I think you have a huge advantage - as would any speaker or presenter who brings something "extra" to the table.

I would include in your promotional materials that what sets you apart from the other auctioneers is your magical and entertainment background which translates to greater audience participation and attention to what's happening during the presentation - which means an appreciable "bump" in the proceeds for the evening.

The fact you're a magician isn't what sells you ... what sells you is the fact that using your special talents can increase the amount of money raised at their function.

But as I said, I would like to see what others have to say about this, because I've never seen a magical auctioneer and my comparison with an emcee may be way-off.

Oscar

You are correct in your understanding..

I am just rebuilding my website and your more than welcome to see it. However ALL the pages and video are NOT up yet.

http://www.hotauctioneering.com

Anytime I give out my business card I set it on fire (hence the hot auctioneering name)

This is the only other auctioneer in the country I know that also is a magician watch this downloadable video below:
http://www.charityauctioneer.org/goodman_auction.wmv
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Okay, I did a quick bit of research on auctioneers ... as well as read through your site.

One thing you're doing right is that you came up in Google on about the third page of results, using the search phrase: Auctioneer for hire.

And frankly, your site seemed more relevant than a lot of the other hits so that's a plus.

What I would change however is the running text on your Home page. It's all about you and would best be put to use on your About Us page - which by the way, I noted this same copy was already there.

My cursory research indicates that the auctioneer isn't just someone you hire at the event like the concessions professional or a sound man. They ARE the event. An auctioneer virtually defines the success of an event. And I would bring that fact forward in your Home page copy.

Hiring a professional auctioneer means a much larger "hat" (for the magicians in the room) at the end of the day - and this needs to come across on your site.

You have a very sharp logo and list come good credibility elements, such as all the auctioneer courses you've graduated. And I think it's cool you graduated the Leroy Van Dyke Auctioneer course! ( He said Oh my, it's do or die, I've got to learn that auction cry, gotta make my mark and be an auctioneer!) I remember that song!

Good luck with your site.

Oscar
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Kevin

Playing the devils advocate: There may be a conflict regarding perceived trickiness. On the one hand people like entertainment on the other they want to feel secure with their business transactions. Some people think of magicians as practical jokers and/or someone not to be trusted.

How many times have you approached a table and someone said "Hold on to your wallets, the magician is here"? Even as a joke, it's running through the back of their mind.

I would be interested, as someone who is fascinated by how people are motivated, to see what results you experience. This would make a good thesis for a psychology student.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You know, I was thinking the same thing Jay. It's very hard to go back and forth between being serious and tricking people, as some will see it. A little magic before and after maybe, but to mix it, I'm not sure.

By the way, Auctioneering alone is very entertaining and in most cases may be enough.

Tom
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 14:12, jay leslie wrote:
Kevin

How many times have you approached a table and someone said "Hold on to your wallets, the magician is here"? Even as a joke, it's running through the back of their mind.

This quote is always told to auctioneers as well "Uh-Oh here comes the auctioneer hold on to your wallets.." I actually here it more so with them.

Keep in mind my auctioneer job is primarily benefit & charity auctions only (fundraisers) usally get paid 10 percent of the proceeds is common.

I already and some effects not to heavy at the moment.

However I like the idea of ending the night with snow animator after after offering them a final gift from me when I walk off.

Things I currently use.

Tie Levitation. "You ever get the feeling the bid should go higher?"
Fire Wallet. "Oh common I won't burn awhole in your wallet"
Mic To Money "My job is to use this mic as a tool to make money."
Extreme Burn. "Its about getting a dollar from you and you and you for the organazation and together we make hundreds if not thousands."

Keep in min I DON'T use all these only when the need arises I use it for the correct moment.

Quote:
On 2009-10-06 14:07, Oscar999 wrote:
Okay, I did a quick bit of research on auctioneers ... as well as read through your site.

One thing you're doing right is that you came up in Google on about the third page of results, using the search phrase: Auctioneer for hire.

And frankly, your site seemed more relevant than a lot of the other hits so that's a plus.

What I would change however is the running text on your Home page. It's all about you and would best be put to use on your About Us page - which by the way, I noted this same copy was already there.

My cursory research indicates that the auctioneer isn't just someone you hire at the event like the concessions professional or a sound man. They ARE the event. An auctioneer virtually defines the success of an event. And I would bring that fact forward in your Home page copy.

Hiring a professional auctioneer means a much larger "hat" (for the magicians in the room) at the end of the day - and this needs to come across on your site.

You have a very sharp logo and list come good credibility elements, such as all the auctioneer courses you've graduated. And I think it's cool you graduated the Leroy Van Dyke Auctioneer course! ( He said Oh my, it's do or die, I've got to learn that auction cry, gotta make my mark and be an auctioneer!) I remember that song!

Good luck with your site.

Oscar

WOW! Oscar I can't beleive you really went through that research check it out for me thanks. Amazing you know the song too!

What did you mean about the running text? Do you mean all the new web 2.0 stuff like the widgets and feeds? (keep in mind my site is just being built as we speak.)

Either way I can't wait to here what the rest of you think. Business and magic wise.

Thanks Guys!
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Thanks Kevinr,

By running text, I mean the copy on your site ... minus the headlines, subheads and graphics: the body copy.

I can see that this is a work in progress and I think you're off to a good start. As for the widgets and feeds, that's just bells and whistles and in this day and age expected.

Simply put, your home page is about you. And while that may seem logical, it should really be about your prospective client and what you can do for them. At least in my opinion.

But as I said, good luck. You have an interesting niche and I bet you'll have a successful site when it's all said and done.

Oscar
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 14:12, jay leslie wrote:
Kevin

Playing the devils advocate: There may be a conflict regarding perceived trickiness. On the one hand people like entertainment on the other they want to feel secure with their business transactions. Some people think of magicians as practical jokers and/or someone not to be trusted.

Good point, Jay. This is precisely why I won't do Magic for my contracting clients.

The auction context, however, looks to me like it's more promising for a positive mix of Magic -- I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Best of luck, Kevin.

Leland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on using magic in my other business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL