The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tips and Trick for beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Hello everyone...

I'm newbie magician in my country, and I want ask to you all if I can get tips and trick for me as a beginner when I start doing magic..and maybe your advise usefull not only for me but any newbie like me....
thnks
"for those magicians who place magic above comfort and reward" from book of wonder by Tommy Wonder (November 29, 1953 - June 26, 2006) ........
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
I can share one thing I'm learning... you don't need the latest and greatest trick to impress people. Classic tricks (those that rely on slights/skill rather than technology) are incredibly powerful! They take some practice but it's well worth it.

Mark
alfvallarta
View Profile
New user
Mexico City
12 Posts

Profile of alfvallarta
When ye think ye've got it, practice a tad more. I am at the moment dealing with "a tad more" with me first routine. Or also get books: Loads of tricks, small package, cheap price.
There are no facts, only interpretations.

-Friedrich Nietzsche-
Flamel
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Flamel
It may seem obvious from reading through the Café's witty banter but it appears continuous practice and selective focus is the key to sticking with the craft long term (IMO). Purchase only a couple of the continuously recommended ‘bibles’ in your area of initial interest and study them thoroughly. If you become mired in small details or an overabundance of texts, you will likely lose the necessary focus and discover your interest waning. Endeavor for ‘organic’ growth, start small and see where your study takes you.
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Hi Arman
Where do you see yourself performing in 5 years? What Kind of audiences? Who do you admire as a great magician?
It's important to know your outcome, this will guide you on which tricks to learn and how to perform them.
Choose the effects you like the most and remember, what makes a good magician is presentation. You can present any effect with your own style, put much dedication to your character and presentation. Have fun!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Do you have a library available to you with magic books? Do you have a bookstore with magic books you can afford? Have you looked over the many beginning magic web sites?

The biggest beginner's problem is to try to collect everything at the beginning. Get just a couple of things - a few moves, a few tricks, a tip or two that apply - and work these through. Then come back and ask questions about what you've learned.

That will give you a better understanding of who you are as a magician, and give someone who wants to help a better idea of what you need.

Ed
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 12:34, magicbobc wrote:
Hi Arman
Where do you see yourself performing in 5 years? What Kind of audiences? Who do you admire as a great magician?
It's important to know your outcome, this will guide you on which tricks to learn and how to perform them.
Choose the effects you like the most and remember, what makes a good magician is presentation. You can present any effect with your own style, put much dedication to your character and presentation. Have fun!

actually I start performing 2 years ago....and my admire as a great magician is tommy wonder because I love when see his perform...very entertaining for me....
imostly I do close up magic like card magic and coin magic...i want to start learning mental magic....hm what do you think about that??
should I learn all kind of magic first or just stay with coin and card??
"for those magicians who place magic above comfort and reward" from book of wonder by Tommy Wonder (November 29, 1953 - June 26, 2006) ........
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I'd say stick with coin and cards until you have a couple of tricks of each that you find the spectators enjoy. Then move on to a couple of other areas of tricks, e.g., rope and sponges or egg bag. Your tricks must suit who you are going to entertain: it seems your spectators are close-up or parlour setting [maybe 5 metres away]. So those the kind of tricks to get really good at.
The presentation makes the magic.
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
How about choosing trick for older audience...is there specific type of trick I use for them???
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Hey Arman.
You don't need a specific trick for adults, just be yourself and learn how to handle them.
Remember, to create an illusion is to make the audience ,(in this case adults), feel like kids again. Your ability to entertain is what matters... are you presenting a show for adults soon???
Bob C
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Jusakarman,

While you are focusing on the type of magic you want to do and accumulating tricks to use in your routine, as a beginner you should also plan how to make your show entertaining. This is the element most often overlooked by 'newbies'... and it is probably the most important of all. There are many books on the subject and many threads on the Café addressing this subject.

As you perform, it might help to critique yourself with these questions:
* Is the audience enjoying my performance?
* Am I coming across arrogant or over-bearing?
* Does the audience feel comfortable with me or do they seem 'treatened'?
* Am I talking too much? Am I talking enough?
* Am I making frequent eye-contact and involving the audience?
* Am I making the audience feel 'foolish'... or am I reminding them that this is all in fun, and NOT personal?
* Is the audience engaged in my performance or do they seem bored?
* Am I performing too fast? Too slow?
* Do I thank them for being a part of my performance at the end?

These are just a few ideas... others may wish to add more.
Hope this helps... and, HAVE FUN!!!

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
Give your tricks some meaning. The presentation is everything on magic. Work on your presentations and technics.

Scherzo
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Many newbie I know in my place, have same problem when doin magic....
first they don't know how to perform...second they don't know hoe to dealing with hackler, and this is the bad part they doesn't want to read a book and learn from basic.....just only watch dvd all the time.....and always searching for new trick but doesn't learn anythings like psycology, or how to perform and entertain....just new tricks and new move...
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Practice, Practice, and then practice some more.
Don't be in too big a hurry to learn every sleight in the world, take your time and learn one before moving on.
Don't think the effect has to use expensive props to be good.
When you buy your magic, get books and videos from the experienced magicians, such as David Roth, Michael Ammar, etc.
Never show a trick or do a sleight in a performance until you've mastered it.
The best learning comes from preforming.

Have fun!
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Quote:
On 2009-10-09 05:01, jusakarman wrote:
Many newbie I know in my place, have same problem when doin magic....
first they don't know how to perform...second they don't know hoe to dealing with hackler, and this is the bad part they doesn't want to read a book and learn from basic.....just only watch dvd all the time.....and always searching for new trick but doesn't learn anythings like psycology, or how to perform and entertain....just new tricks and new move...

Hey Arman, this is a shame... I'm glad you realize the importance of performance and entertainment. You will go far beyond the rest. believe me. And if you worry about the others not wanting to learn properly, I'll see if I can find a way to help them. I'll let you know.
BobC
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Yup bob...maybe I'm the lucky person as magician to meet some senior magician in my country and always to remind me this :

1. they always concern for my atitude as magican first...this about the ethics as magician...

2. they told me to read books like maximum entertainment (thanks to Ken Webber)....and I realize that book doesn't tell about tricks....but I realize not much here want to read that book as a newbie...and I think they must now magic is not only about fancy tricks...

like last week I came to my friend lecture.....he lecture about something important behind the tricks like missdirection and phsycology....but they always ask like "give me more new tricks or give me a killer tricks"....

when I see that, I remembered myself when I first time love in magic..always want to do some good looking tricks and killer effect, and when I see new tricks I always want to leran that before I mastered my old tricks.....maybe they feel same like me on that time.....
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Yes! At the beggining we just want to learn all the tricks in the world, its normal. But its very important to realize the real deal as soon as possible. I'll see what I can do. Keep your eyes open.
BobC
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
So what make a newbie become a profesional magician?

when they are gain money from there or....?
Dark Deck
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dark Deck
I recommend one book for all beginners to magic...Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. The book contains quite a bit of everything and the explanations are easy to understand. Simply the best place for any beginners in magic to start.
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Yes practice is a fantastic answer, but also performing is also good, because you can't practice real world situations. practice for family members who will forgive a slip up, or if your patter is not perfect, or if your hands are shaking etc..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tips and Trick for beginner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL