The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IPod Solutions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This Thread only deals with iPod solutions.
What have you have done to incorporate your iPod into your show?

Here is my solution.

• A 30 GB iPod which can store a lot of music and movies.
  • A 7 lb Mackie SRM 150 (150 watts) single speaker.
  • A Maxell P-21 Portable iPod Remote Control

I Velcroed the iPod to the top of the Mackie which is on a Microphone stand. Since the Mackie requireds AC I also connected the iPod to the AC strip. The small hand held remote pauses, skips forward and even controls the volume.

On the iPod I have the list of songs in order with a 20 minute blank spot in between each music track. This allows me to talk or do anything before the next music track. I have the background display on auto shut off so when I push the button for the next track, it lights up for a few seconds and lets me know it's working. The remote also has Velcro on the back so it stick easily on my table. It also works in my pocket. The center pause button and the skip to the next track has a very small button glued to it so I can feel it in my pocket, and know I am pushing the tight button. (Yes, it can go back too.)

The blank tracks were made with Adobe Soundbooth, however, there are play of freeware programs that can make a blank sound track.

All this fits in my Lefler Table with my magic.

It works fine for me.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Dennis Michael
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The AirClick has been discontinued but they are readily available new on eBay.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Dennis,

Jim Kleefelds disc is not an assessory, rather its an expensive clip art disc.

Also your listing IPOD dj equipment and a expensive mixer for no reason.

You might consider adding a charger, portable battery, direct box, etc.

G0THIKE
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The mixer can be used for a completer sound system for a major show. At several conventions, I was the sound guy and performers asked me if they could hook up their iPod to my system. I also used my iPod to have background music as people were coming in for the show.

I listed a link to the iStore for a variety of accessories for the iPod.
Dennis Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Dennis,

Its a 16 channel mixer, which works great for a band. But magicians usually don't need 16 microphone inputs. The nice thing about that mixer is that it has a ipod dock, which isn't necessary if you have a $3.00 cable.

I have found your post and list helpful but this list needs a little more work.

G
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
My ipod set is an ipod nano, an ijet remote, and a recharageble battery that will power the ipod for 55 hours. I love using the ipod over my previous systems.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I use an iJet remote with a 30 minute silent track between my music. I prefer a handheld wireless mic on a stand, so I velcro the remote to the stand. I have another remote in my table just in case I need it and I use it for a couple of cues when I'm not by the mic.

g0thike is right you should use a Direct Input (DI) box when plugging into a mixer if your using the XLR inputs. So I have one of those as well.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Would you explain this "Direct Input (DI) box when plugging into a mixer",
Dennis
Dennis Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
G0thike,

I think Dennis meant why use a DI box when connecting to a mixer. Although it makes sense to do so if you're connecting to the XLR inputs, why would you? I'm not sure I've ever seen a mixer that doesn't 1/4" and RCA inputs.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I've used the iPod with direct connections to the tape input of my mixer. I just pointed to a site that had alternate type of mixer.
Dennis Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
2 different types of signals, microphone signal and line in signal.

If you plug in a ipod to a mixers microphone signal you get hum, static and noise.

A direct box turns the line in (ipod, boombox, cd player, laptop signal)into a signal that can be plugged into a microhone input.

It also can lift the ground in case you have ground hum.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I've personally used a DI box for festival shows where the sound booth is far away. Connecting my ipod & VSM into the DI box that's on stage means my remote signal doesn't have as far to travel. Also, if some problematic situation should arise I still have direct access to the iPod.
magicguy22
View Profile
New user
Canada
32 Posts

Profile of magicguy22
I always like to educate by not sugar coating things, I found that the only way to learn how to speak intelligently about pro-audio is to use the proper lingo and not make things too simplistic.

There are other great orators on the subject of live audio (Magic-Roadie, Gothike that might have a different way to present this info...here's my angle...

Two questions regarding wireless control of iPod...

1. what type of audio lines should I run between my iPod and the mixer? (depends on whether your wireless iPod controller is on stage or at the sound board.)

2. where is the best place to locate my wireless receiver for iPod control, on the stage or at the sound board?

In some productions, the sound board will be opposite the stage at some distance. If you are using wireless mics, standard practice is to place all of the microphone receivers near the stage (on-stage or in the wings).

>>We should adapt this for wireless control systems for iPod as well.<<

How do you get your signal back to the mixer if all of your receivers are on stage?

FOR WIRELESS MICROPHONES: To get the wireless mic receiver audio signal back to the mixer, run a balanced audio line Balanced audio line = XLR cable = Mic Cable) from the output of the mic receiver, to the mixer in one of the following ways...

1. connection of the to an audio "snake box" at the stage (Snake Box = A Metal box with multiple MIC/XLR inputs and multiple audio lines exiting the box within one sheilded cable at the stage and, at the mixer, a break-out of those multiple audio lines to individual MIC/XLR connectors), or,

2. home run separate XLR cables between the wireless receiver and the mixer.

With a balanced line You can run 100 feet of Mic cable without adding any extra noise (the noise is cancelled in mixer if you are using a balanced line.) You couldn't run a long un-balanced line for a microphone without getting noise.

We are accustomed to using balanced MIC/XLR cables for connecting microphones to minimize noise getting into the 'tiny'signal that is coming from the mic capsule.

>>We should adapt this for wireless control systems for iPod as well.<<

FOR WIRELESS AUDIO CONTROL SYSTEMS FOR IPOD: You want to place the receiver on stage, as close to you as possible.This maintains the best Radio Frequency integrity for your remote control.

It is convenient to place your iPod controller at the mixer and use a short RCA cable to connect to the Mixer CD input, but then, the wireless remote transmitter signal has to travel farther and can be affected by all kinds of interference. We want to minimize this, so, placing the iPod receiver on the stage is the best possible situation.

Since the audio out of your iPod is unbalanced, (let's assume that you have a Y cable that breaks-out the iPod's 3.5mm headphone jack to [2] RCA Jacks), how would you get that iPod audio signal from the RCA jacks on stage to the mixer?...You could,

1. Run long RCA or 1/4" cables (un-balanced) from your iPod to the Mixer CD inputs. You may experience noise that is picked up on the cable...that's not good.

2. Connect the RCA outputs from the iPod to the input of a stereo direct box (direct box = DI Box = Direct Injection Box) and connect the output of the Direct box to a stage located 'snake box' using two MIC/XLR cables. Or, you can home run two separate MIC/XLR cables from the output of the Direct Box directly to the mixer.

By using a Direct Box, what we have done is converted the unbalanced iPod headphone output to a balanced output, that we can run over 100' without degradation.

In this example we are running the left and right audio on two separate MIC/XLR cables that connect to two separate channels on the mixer. You have to adjust the channel Fader for each of these two channels together to maintain the audio from the Left and Right. (this assumes you are running a stereo PA system and the L channel is panned hard Left and the right channel is panned hard Right)

Most small DJ's will continue to run a stereo set-up because it's easy. Most large productions will run MONO (surprize!). This is so that everyone in the audience gets the same mix. In the above example you are using 2 MIC/XLR cables for the Left and Right audio channels respectively. If you want to use just the Left or the Right, that's fine because a large percentage of music does not have such a wide stereo field. If you don't want to lose any audio that might be predominately on one channel or the other...mix your music to MONO before you load it on your iPod.

To answer the questions posed at the beginning, the best place to locate your wireless iPod controller is on stage near you performance area and you should use a direct box and balanced audio cables to get your audio back to the mixer.

Hope this helps to confuse the issue, not.

One more question...did I just hijack this thread? Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Not at all, you have cleared up the long wire "noise" problem. A third option is to have the iPod next to the sound board which is controlled by the sound guy. This I've done numerous times. It works well for short routines. (8-10 minute acts). Many times especially in contests, I get asked to play only one track.

As stated in the first post. I have the iPod directly Velcroed to the Mackie 150 with a short wire 1/4 to RCA connections, controlled by a Maxwell remote.

There is a lot more learning to using a mixer when performing a full length show for a variety of performers.
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I like the idea of having a second remote for my ijet as a backup. Can you buy just the remote? Also, don't you have to train the remote to somehow know how to talk to the ijet receiver?
Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I could never get my I Jet to work properly, so I took it back.
Dennis Michael
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Well I think the DI question has been resolved... I like to have my wireless mic receiver, and iPod in the wings when performing, so I just plug into the house inputs on the wall or on a snake.

I have three iJet remotes, I also have three receivers. I called their tech support and the guy helped me "train" the remotes to all work on the same channel. I don't remember what I had to do but it was a quick and easy phone call.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Still using my iCue2 wireless iPod controller. Since the company went out of business, they are now a collector's item. But still a valueable piece of musical sound equipment for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IPod Solutions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL