The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Birthday Party Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I found a website that I started working on a about 4 months ago, and cant believe I never put it to use. It is targeted towards birthdays, a targeted domain name, party tips with sign up form, creative copy, picture, video and so much more.

I am inviting you to give me a grade on the users readability and content. Here is a heads up...the video and picture will be updated in the future. Since my target is birthdays, I am going to try and put this out there as soon as possible. What are some different ways to get the site noticed?

http://www.birthdaymagicianwv.com

Sincerely,
Charles Watson
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hey charles

I am on the Café today killing some time wanting to up my post numbers LOL
actualy I jsut commented on another post of yours about the advertising.

First off I think you shodul only have one website not many but that's just an opinion. it may get toconfusing out there for cutomers if htey see this site then anther site.

anyway if you are going ot pursue this site lets start with this

first y9ou need to change it from his Briefcase of maigc to something like his Bag of magic or magic trunk something th at wodul imply you have more hten jsut a briefcase to work out of. becasue you go one to mention that you juggle and do other big things. but abriefcase conjures up a small show.

you aslo mention that you produce a rabbit then get a picture of you and the rabbit and get rid of the pic witht eh dollar bill. the pic did ntohing for me and wont do much for parents looking for a birthday party amgician.

finally the video is good but does not scream birthday party magician.
this really is a minor point right now as if you can change the pic and bump up soem of the talk ot he site aobut the birthday party the vid wwodul be ok.

does any of this make sense.

you are doing great and adsking th e Café for help is very smart. I only wish Al Gore had invented the internet when I was I kid!

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Working out of a single brief case for a bday is only cool sounding for other magicians. Specs could care less.

I can't imagine walking into a bday with only a brief case?

J
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 11:19, Sam Sandler wrote:
Hey charles

I am on the Café today killing some time wanting to up my post numbers LOL
actualy I jsut commented on another post of yours about the advertising.

First off I think you shodul only have one website not many but that's just an opinion. it may get toconfusing out there for cutomers if htey see this site then anther site.

anyway if you are going ot pursue this site lets start with this

first y9ou need to change it from his Briefcase of maigc to something like his Bag of magic or magic trunk something th at wodul imply you have more hten jsut a briefcase to work out of. becasue you go one to mention that you juggle and do other big things. but abriefcase conjures up a small show.

you aslo mention that you produce a rabbit then get a picture of you and the rabbit and get rid of the pic witht eh dollar bill. the pic did ntohing for me and wont do much for parents looking for a birthday party amgician.

finally the video is good but does not scream birthday party magician.
this really is a minor point right now as if you can change the pic and bump up soem of the talk ot he site aobut the birthday party the vid wwodul be ok.

does any of this make sense.

you are doing great and adsking th e Café for help is very smart. I only wish Al Gore had invented the internet when I was I kid!

have fun

sam

On the subject of briefcase....I thought that may sound like my show is small and the client isn't getting their dollars worth.

On the Subject of the Picture: Maybe change the wording around to go with the picture. I also have another picture from a recent show...the kids are looking at the camera giving thumbs up and smiling...maybe put that to use instead?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Charles,
Please take this in the positive spirit it is given.

I've been following ALL your posts on many topics and questions here on the Café.
You appear to have enthusiasm, talent, and drive,
however, It also appears you lack funds and both magic and business expertize.

As someone in the business for over forty years, I highly suggest
you back-up, get more general business knowledge, more magic theory background,
and more marketing/sales savvy, before you jump back on the full-time train.

Then, give yourself a Five-Year Plan,
to slowly move from part-time to full-time.
Especially important is waiting-out the current economy for such a huge step.

You're a young guy and have the time to learn and build on all facets.
Before you step on a stage,
you need a solid Business Plan with dated goals,
and an act that is Theatrically and Psychologically
Original and Powerful.

I've mentored many guys into their magic careers,
some are considered the top of their field today,
so I do speak from some experience.

Please re-think your approach and time-line.
I hope you're not bent-out-of-shape,
but more I hope you can hear this message!

Magically,
Walt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Charles -

You mention on this webpage that it's a 40 minute show, but on the other thread you talked about a 60 minute (1 hour) birthday show. I assume you are offering two options for two different budgets. If you are, then good for you.

Also, you need some testimonial quotes on that page.

I see the phone number on the page, but you might want to make it more prominent.

Also, there are a couple of "claims" on that website, that I wouldn't make. "Best" and "Cherished Forever". I believe that exaggerated claims can cost you business & cause you problems. But that's a personal thing.

- Donald

P.S. Purely for SEO reasons and user-friendliness, try to incorporate your location into the website copy, and not just rely on it being in the URL and metatags.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 12:42, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Charles -

You mention on this webpage that it's a 40 minute show, but on the other thread you talked about a 60 minute (1 hour) birthday show. I assume you are offering 2 options. If you are, then good for you.

Also, you need some testimonial quotes on that page.

I see the phone number on the page, but you might want to make it more prominent.

- Donald

P.S. Purely for SEO reasons and user-friendliness, try to incorporate your location into the website copy, and not just rely on it being in the URL and metatags.

Hey Donald,

I have three packages avaliable for the client to choose from ranging in price. I have put them together in a PDF so that it is easy for me to shoot it over via e-mail. package 1 BASIC 30 minute show.....I think of it as the affordable show for parents who think they cant afford entertainment for their child's party. Package 2 is approximately 40 minute show finished up with balloon twisting....package 3 is package 2 with the magic workshop.

What do you think?

Charles
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The choice of show options sound fine, Charles.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Spell binder made some good points however if you are going to go on with thislts approach it this way.

I agree it soudns you have drive and determination but offering so many packags it becomes hard to sel to customers.

2 packages would be fine

as fo the picture I want to see a picture of YOU you can have more pictures there with the kids but you need a pic of you in the forefront.

Keep in mind this is not going to happen over night it will take time to build it and make sure you build it right. take the time to learn how to do all this the right way. again using hte Café is a great resource.
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Honestly, I don't think it requires a lump sum of money to start once you have you a nice act.

Start with business cards and postcards.

Create a mailing list that books entertainment on a regular bases...
Such as:
Preschools,
Schools
country clubs
City community programs
and look up th elocal events in your area

MAIL out your b-card and postcard... Mail to the same list 2-3 times a year!

A basic site with your name and some great photos and copy will do...
Then grow on it as time goes. Get better photos, better copy and promo materials.... But don't obsess on it!

Go to networking groups like:
chamber of commerce
local social groups
ISES and other similar event industry groups....

This all takes time. Even if people say, "hey we are all booked with entertainment this year." Don't let that stop you. Still send your info! Entertainers cancel or contracts fall through, PLUS NEXT YEAR IS ALWAYS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

List yourself on the internet in many directories as possible.... Lots of free ones!

To start out less then $100 bucks!

Get the point...???
Now stop crying and looking for the instant magic solution and do the WORK!
It will pay off in the long run... All the pros and full timers basically do what I just QUICKLY typed!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have done thousand's of 45 minute, and 60 minute shows out of my brief case. I substitute the bulky props with TALENT. You may not understand this concept if you have no TALENT.

my $.02
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 17:55, magicofCurtis wrote:
Honestly, I don't think it requires a lump sum of money to start once you have you a nice act.

Start with business cards and postcards.

Create a mailing list that books entertainment on a regular bases...
Such as:
Preschools,
Schools
country clubs
City community programs
and look up th elocal events in your area

MAIL out your b-card and postcard... Mail to the same list 2-3 times a year!

A basic site with your name and some great photos and copy will do...
Then grow on it as time goes. Get better photos, better copy and promo materials.... But don't obsess on it!

Go to networking groups like:
chamber of commerce
local social groups
ISES and other similar event industry groups....

This all takes time. Even if people say, "hey we are all booked with entertainment this year." Don't let that stop you. Still send your info! Entertainers cancel or contracts fall through, PLUS NEXT YEAR IS ALWAYS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

List yourself on the internet in many directories as possible.... Lots of free ones!

To start out less then $100 bucks!

Get the point...???
Now stop crying and looking for the instant magic solution and do the WORK!
It will pay off in the long run... All the pros and full timers basically do what I just QUICKLY typed!

I am not crying...I am learning to do things right by asking the true professoinals....at least my state isn't knocking down white house doors for a bailout!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Birthday Party Website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL