The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » UK Law on performing for Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I suppose it comes back to the argument that if you've got nothing to hide, why object? (Actually I can think of several objections - all privacy related.)

However, if it can help protect both them and other people's children, it is a small price to pay, privacy invasion or not.

James.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
While, it's no requirement to perform publicly here in the US, I had to have one done prior to performing for the US Bureau of Prisons. They paid for it, I got a copy and if anybody asks, I have one on file.

I do one show a year for the Mother's/Daughter's day for free (Bureau of Prisons dosn't pay for these programs), but I have something to show somebody, just in case.

You might be able to do something similar over in the UK.

Steven
Coram Deo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<However, if it can help protect both them and other people's children, it is a small price to pay, privacy invasion or not.
>>>>>>>

Hear Hear,
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
This is an intresting topis and was discussed in my lecture at Kidology UK 2004 for those of you not there or not paying attention here is a brief summary of the situation.

The Childrens Act 1984 ish rquires any perosn in the SUPERVISORY role with chidlren and vunrable young people needs to be checked with the CRB (Criminal Refernce Beaureaux)

Entertainers falout of the remit of the act as they are not booked in a SUPERVISORY role.

This should be highlighted in any contract.

However if a council ask for a check state you are happy to provide then with the information required to do an enhanced check.

You can also get a registered body to do the check on you - there are a number of agents in the UK registered with the CRB and offer his service. I have a list and can provide more information required of list.

Equity are looking into becoming a reguistered bosy and offering this service to its members.

My company is a registered body and can help anyone out if needed.
Childrens Entertainer of the Year 2005 - Finalist
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Hi Marc

Yes I was at your lecture and did listen!

The drawback with disclosure is it is only valid on the date it is printed and only really means you havn't been caught yet!

There is no expiry date and renewals should be based on risk assesments.

Anyway I tried to get an enhanced disclosure for myself some time ago and the CRB said I couldn't get one myself I would have to go through a registered body. The only one available in our area was Capita and they refused as basically if my disclosure showed up some misdemeanours or offences Capita were in no position to prevent me from being around kids as they didn't employ me. Therefore worthless!

However all my bookings and now contracts (thanks Clive!) do state at least two adults to remain in the same room at all times. Therefore I am not left in sole charge of minors.

Stu
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
As Marc said unless you're in a supervisory category you don't need it, but some organisations will still insist on you having it.

I got booked last year by playwise in Truro in Cornwall, They required it for all entertainers they book, and sponsored and paid for me to have it done. The stupid thing was by the day of the gig, the final paperwork still hadn't come through and I did it anyway.

However I'd worked for Playwise in other areas of Devon and Cornwall before and never been asked.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
In the US, many states require that sex offenders register with local police. These registries are generally publicly available, often on the Internet.

About two years ago, Little League started requiring that its volunteers, including umpires (like me), submit to a check by the local league that essentially involves checking these registries.

Granted, this only identifies the people who have been caught before. But I do know two things:
1) Sex offenses have the highest recidivism rates on the planet. If you have a sexual preference, whether it's for children, women, or goats, you HAVE it. Go ahead, try to change your preference. It's not that easy.
2) Child sex offenders groom their victims. This means they make innocent contact over a long period of time, gaining the child's confidence. "Hey, it's okay for our kids to hang out with Whacko the Magician, he was so great with the kids at Melvin's party . . . "

(This stuff relates to what I do for a living. No, I'm not a professional sex offender! I'm a prosecutor!)

I don't think the parents who hire you should know how many traffic tickets you've had, but I do think they should know if you're a convicted sex offender. As a parent, I would want to know
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Criminal Reference Checks are becoming more common.
If you volunteer with children, you are often asked now to provide a criminal reference check in Ontario.

It involves filling out forms with the municipal and / or provincial police. There is a fee that can be free or it can be up to $50.00 depending upon the jurisdiction. The paperwork is completed and returned to you. It is your responsibility to share the results with agencies that request it. Failure to provide the information, may prevent you from volunteering.

The check involves all activities of a criminal nature not just sex crimes. It also includes harrassment and physical assault.

Similar to honus, I have had to do this as a soccer coach for my children's teams.

It is frustrating that our world has become so predisposed to mistrusting others, but at the same time, if we save one child...

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Harris, HIPPA does not provide the privacy you think that it does. The true nuts and bolts of the HIPPA act will scare the crud out of you. PM me if you want to know the truth.

As for getting back to topic, it is becoming more and more common to have background checks done, for all fields, especially anything involving children or the elderly. This is good and bad. Good for safety, bad for privacy because the non-disclosure agreement is only worth the paper it's printed on. It becomes quite difficult to prove damages from disclosure, and it expensive to pursue, making the agreement useless.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
It is not an invasion of privacy to get public records checked for prior offensive behavior! I have done computer work in banks and had to pass the background checks and drug tests, talking about invasive.

When you start talking about risk assessments and profiling then we start going down the slippery slope to too much big brother invasion.

I think this has come up more than in the past not because there are a lot more perverts, but because we can keep track of them more easily.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<I think this has come up more than in the past not because there are a lot more perverts, but because we can keep track of them more easily.>>>

What's frightening is even a peada-pervert can get a piece of paper saying he's safe with kids if he's never been caught.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Surely when I entertain children, I'm not there to surpervise them, I'm there to entertain them. The teachers/parents/staff or whoever has booked me is there to supervise them. Not me. We're never ever left on our own with the children as there has to always be at least two adults in the room at all times.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Billy:

This is what I do as well and it is stated in my contract and any confirmation letters. I am there to entertain the audience not supervise them. I always state there must be at least 2 adult helpers at the show at all times.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think the police, public servants and social workers could do with putting their own houses in order here. How often do you hear of a rogue children's entertainer offending against children? As far as I can see there is only one reference on the entire English speaking web. We have only ever come up against one offender in all our years of work. Did the police do anything? did the judicial system do anything? Answer, - no! He was dealt with by the actions of other entertainers and driven out of the business.

I went into a Municipal Hall last year and on the doorway it stated: "no images may be taken of children on these premises". So mum, dad, gran and grandad could not take photos, could not do a video. What absolute nonsense! This is one reason why we like people to book private venues like church halls, village halls etc. No interference from immature, petty bureacracy! God, what is this world coming to next?

I would add though that no entertainer should ever let themselves be in a situation whereby they are the only adult present in a room with kids. They should wait until all the kids are sat down at tea before going to the toilet themselves. They should not get involved (except in dire emergency/accident) in any personal physical attention with the children. I will not even fasten a shoelace these days let alone fasten a little boy's belt or zip, or little girl's dress bow. All just common sense.

I find myself that children's entertainers, whether I think they are good or absolute rubbish at entertaining, are still by far amongst the most trustworthy childworkers on the entire planet! Let us all be proud of this fact fellow children's entertainers!

Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<They should wait until all the kids are sat down at tea before going to the toilet themselves. They should not get involved (except in dire emergency/accident) in any personal physical attention with the children. I will not even fasten a shoelace these days let alone fasten a little boy's belt or zip, or little girl's dress bow. All just common sense.>>>>

Hear hear Ace, I'm the same mate, no matter what it is I point them at an adult in the room. One of the downside of getting older is the slow onset of old mans bladder, made worse if your drinking lots of water. The one useful bit of advice I did get from seeing Silly Billy's lecture at Blackpool was to take a small wedge in your magic box, if you need the loo take it with you and use it to jam the door shut so the kids can't get in while your there. There's nothing more frightning than standing having a wee and finding a small boy standing next to you, and no-on else about.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
I don't think that a Police check is necessary but it can help put parents minds at risk and satisfy councils.

I have had one done (because my wife is the Childrens Co-ordinator for our church).

It's not a guarantee but it is good practice.
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
In the UK when dealing with Councils , playgroups or large organisations the topic will come up. My partner and I have gone a bit over the top as we have Police checks (CRB/disclosure), We are First aid trained with the St. John Ambulance, ful public liability insurance (All major UK holiday parks now insist on this as well as Disclosure) and we are members of teh Safeguarding Children Partnership . The SGCP is a new thing started in East Anglia and now spreading , its basically a list of people of businesses that have done training with their local council and have all the things I mentioned earlier. The list is then open to anyone looking to find a `safe` orginastion it has lead to a huge number of bookings for us in the anglia region for council events and of course their staffs private events. All the council workers childrens birthday parties are done by us! It is not as yet law but we are trying to be one step ahead of the game and so far it has payed off! Anyone working with children regularly should seriously consider joining a program like I stated as it not only protects the children but it protects you from them! Sorry to go on and if you already know this then I am truly sorry for talking rubbish. Hope this is of some help to some one at some point some where...
Cheers
Wol
Keep passing the open windows!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
It just hurts me that we have to wait for others who probably don't know the first thing about entertaining children, to start imposing rules of conduct. I ask you the simple question: Are you prepared to wait and have rules and regulations thrust upon you by Social workers (the very group who have failed children so much!), - yes, you as an entertainer, who knows more about the feelings and psychology of children than some of these will ever know in a lifetime - ?

I note that Equity (which I have just re-joined after 24 years!) do have guidelines; not very well thought out and by no means comprehensive enough, - for children's entertainers. But better this than nothing.

Maybe we as entertainers should grab the reins and produce an International (English language at first) Code of Conduct websheet.

To tell you the truth I did have one on-line for a short while,not on my own domain, but on a free webspace site.

Tony.
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
It's intresting to note that for the more advanced checks they are vaild for on average twelve months and for enhanced they deal with not just convictions but on-going investigations of which you might be the subject to, example include if your e-mail address is found on the computer of someone downloading pronograohy involving children etc. These things are all scored in various ways, which is why on the enhanced checks you are told the content only the result of the check.

As to a code of conduct we probably won't be to far away form need to be registered like child minders or licenced if various lobby groups get their way in the UK.
Childrens Entertainer of the Year 2005 - Finalist
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Sorry Marc, don't want to sound too critical here but please could you double check all your posts before you send them.

The odd typo is usually accepted but I found your last post incredibly difficult to read.

And yes, I know I am not perfect and do make mistakes from time to time as well.

Stu Di Doo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » UK Law on performing for Children (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL