The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Prices on your website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Up until now I haven't put my prices on my website. The reasoning behind this was that you want to get the client to contact you first so you can establish a relationship etc...

However, the other day I was talking to a friend who has been successful in business and he recomended that I put my lowest price on my website. eg. From ###
He said that he didn't want to waste time talking to people who can't afford his services. I have always been against prices on websites but I am beginning to think that it might be a good way to go.

Any thoughts?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
So, what are your prices?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
There have been several discussions on this before you might want to check out. Here's one:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks for the link.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It is best to have them call you so you make the sale over the phone.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Imagine you have two people viewing your website. And for round figures you say "birthday parties $500."

One is a millionaire who has heard good reports from friends that may have seen you. He is having a party in a large 5 star hotel and is paying for all of his guests to stay over at the hotel ($450 a night lets say....and hes booked nearly 100 rooms for his friends). He's also having an 11 piece band and an after dinner speaker who is very famous. Along with the catering he's put on for everyone, there is also a free bar - drinks all night for all his friends.

The second person viewing is a single mother who has just been made unemployed, but for her brothers 30th birthday party she wants to do as much as she can and would like to book you for some entertainment. She doesn't have much of a budget, and the party will probably be at home, just for a few hours, not much going on....the magician will be the star attraction.

I would take both of these bookings....and price them VERY differently. But if I put a price on my website two things could happen. The millionaire would look at it and think "he's very cheap....he must be no good!" or the broke parent could think "how am I going to afford that?!?".....or.....I would quote the millionaire a lot higher price, and he might turn around and ask "why are you charing me $1,500 when it says you do birthday parties for $500 on your site?

You can't say "birthday parties $500" when every party is different.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-08 17:17, Flec wrote:

That's why you put price ranges on your websites. For instance, birthday parties starting at $225. Corporate events starting at $325. When people ask me my prices over the phone and don't want to give me enough information for me to price it properly, I say my prices range from $225 to $1,500 depending on the type of show. Then, I proceed to explain why I need more details to accurately price the appropriate show for them. It's exactly what I will put on my website. I don't want people to contact me that are looking for a $100 show.

Michael
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
That's why you put price ranges on your websites.

Nope. Everything is relative, as Flec said. He got it exactly right. Once you state ANY price for ANY show, everything after that is relative.

A good friend of mine does studio photography. After the shoot, and when he has all the prints of various sizes made to show them to the clients in his studio, he shows the different sizes in a specific order.

First is the largest. Then he works his way down. Each time, the perception to the client is they keep getting smaller and options are being REMOVED. Clients feel like they are getting LESS than the 'normal' package and dislike things being taken away from them. By the time they get to the smallest one, the prints look puny and not worth it. They opt for the larger, more expensive option, but in their eyes, it's the 'normal' option.

If he offered the smallest one, then you progressively show larger prints, then it seems like you keep trying to add more and charge them more for what in the end look like HUGE prints and they end up going with the first priced item and small wallet sized prints.

Make sure that no matter with whom you speak, you set the point of reference correctly and appropriately to best sell your product. Once that initial price is established, everything else is relative, for better or worse.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 17:31, Michael Messing wrote:

That's why you put price ranges on your websites. For instance, birthday parties starting at $225. Corporate events starting at $325. When people ask me my prices over the phone and don't want to give me enough information for me to price it properly, I say my prices range from $225 to $1,500 depending on the type of show. Then, I proceed to explain why I need more details to accurately price the appropriate show for them. It's exactly what I will put on my website. I don't want people to contact me that are looking for a $100 show.

Michael

My point is even if you put "starting at $225" you still have the same problem. If you then quote $1,000 people will ask "why don't I get the $225 like everyone else?" ....or.....clients who have plenty of money will think "he's a bit cheap, he must be no good."
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
You can state in your ads "Packages avaliable to fit your budget, starting as low as "PRICE" When they call get to know your client and their motives..what area they are from will tell you a lot, just casually slip in questions about them...where do you work? etc. Once you know the basics about them you have a foundation built to sell them the appropriate package.

I know of a festival magician "does close up out of a breifcase on a restaurant stand" he has his prices listed right on his site, but mentions prices vary depending upon local...I asked him the same question...He replied...." When you get online and shop for something and you come across a website that sells your product, but they don't have the price listed....wouldn't you leave and shop elsewhere?

I am not sure where I stand on this subject. I thought of running a few small ads with a very low price for "my home town only" It be a basic magic show 1/2 and that is it. only 75.00.....something to help build my list and help those who may figure they cant afford entertaiment for their child's party.
uote]
On 2009-10-08 18:03, Flec wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 17:31, Michael Messing wrote:

Michael

My point is even if you put "starting at $225" you still have the same problem. If you then quote $1,000 people will ask "why don't I get the $225 like everyone else?" ....or.....clients who have plenty of money will think "he's a bit cheap, he must be no good."
[/quote]

simple...tell them that for 1000.00 they are getting your deluxe package that will include much more than the 225 package. If they want the 225 then book it...you shouldn't lose money unless its half way across the country. I have been keeping my prices the same for every caller lately.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
To each his own.
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Well I was told by a magicain in my area, that he wants ALL THE OTHER MAGICIANS in the area to post thier prices on their websites. He went as far as saying if we don't, then it means our efforts could be dishonest and may try underbidding to gain an event henceforth underballing him. He also went on to say that if we all didn't lower our prices to match his, he would do everything in his power to make sure we do not get any gigs at all.

I have never posted prices for that reason. When you do, someone will try to screw you over, or under so to speak. Also after a telephone conversation with Don Wayne some time back, he recomended not posting prices on your website.
making the unreal, real...really!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-08 17:41, ScottRSullivan wrote:

Nope. Everything is relative, as Flec said. He got it exactly right. Once you state ANY price for ANY show, everything after that is relative.

A good friend of mine does studio photography. After the shoot, and when he has all the prints of various sizes made to show them to the clients in his studio, he shows the different sizes in a specific order.

First is the largest. Then he works his way down. Each time, the perception to the client is they keep getting smaller and options are being REMOVED. Clients feel like they are getting LESS than the 'normal' package and dislike things being taken away from them. By the time they get to the smallest one, the prints look puny and not worth it. They opt for the larger, more expensive option, but in their eyes, it's the 'normal' option.

If he offered the smallest one, then you progressively show larger prints, then it seems like you keep trying to add more and charge them more for what in the end look like HUGE prints and they end up going with the first priced item and small wallet sized prints.

Make sure that no matter with whom you speak, you set the point of reference correctly and appropriately to best sell your product. Once that initial price is established, everything else is relative, for better or worse.

As someone who does photography professionally, I agree that it's important to do that with photography. I haven't found it to be that way for magic shows. For instance, when someone calls me for a birthday party show, I start with my basic show first, go to my deluxe next and "super" deluxe third. The super deluxe party is not one I expect to sell much. In the last six months, two people chose the basic show while everyone else took the deluxe show (which is what I really want to sell.) I've had one person take the super deluxe party.

Quote:
On 2009-10-08 18:03, Flec wrote:

Well, unless you're selling a $1,000 birthday party show, this isn't what I said. My post said birthday party shows starting at $225. If a company wants to know why their show isn't $225, it's because it isn't a birthday party! (I give the range of $225 - $1,500 when I get a caller that won't define what kind of show they are looking for. Believe it or not some callers only want to know "how much" without giving you any details.)

When people call me, I make sure I establish that I am trying to give them the appropriate show for their event. If they can't understand that there are different prices for shows of different scales, then they're not going to be my customer and I'll move on to the next one.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've tested "prices on your website." So I can speak from experience.

It's a personal thing. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

I've had birthday show rates on my website for almost 2 years now. There are some specific reasons why I decided to post my rates for birthday shows online.

However, my rates for other shows aren't online. And there are reasons for that, too.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 17:17, Flec wrote:
Imagine you have two people viewing your website. And for round figures you say "birthday parties $500."

One is a millionaire who has heard good reports from friends that may have seen you. He is having a party in a large 5 star hotel and is paying for all of his guests to stay over at the hotel ($450 a night lets say....and hes booked nearly 100 rooms for his friends). He's also having an 11 piece band and an after dinner speaker who is very famous. Along with the catering he's put on for everyone, there is also a free bar - drinks all night for all his friends.

The second person viewing is a single mother who has just been made unemployed, but for her brothers 30th birthday party she wants to do as much as she can and would like to book you for some entertainment. She doesn't have much of a budget, and the party will probably be at home, just for a few hours, not much going on....the magician will be the star attraction.

I would take both of these bookings....and price them VERY differently. But if I put a price on my website two things could happen. The millionaire would look at it and think "he's very cheap....he must be no good!" or the broke parent could think "how am I going to afford that?!?".....or.....I would quote the millionaire a lot higher price, and he might turn around and ask "why are you charing me $1,500 when it says you do birthday parties for $500 on your site?

Flec,

I enjoyed your post and understand your point. But I think you may have a misconception concerning millionaires. Most millionaires that I know are just as price savvy and get just as angry when they think someone is trying to price gouge them as the rest of us. As the saying goes, “How do you think they got so rich?” Smile

Yes, there are SOME millionaires that will buy whatever is the highest price, thinking that their buying the best. Admittedly, I will not book these few with my on line pricing structure as you pointed out, nor will I book the customer looking for the $100 birthday party. But I would venture to say that my on line pricing strategy is suitable for 80% of the market, and I might even argue 90%.

Sticking with the birthday party example, I have 3 price levels plus 3 add-ons. Although they start at $195 (I try to be sensitive to the needs of families on a budget) I average over $300 per party and $500+ parties are NOT uncommon. One thing is for sure, it is all spelled out on my web site. Everyone knows exactly why they may pay a higher price for a show than the other and it has nothing to do with their annual earnings.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been surprised to pull up to my client’s house on show day and realize it is an absolute mansion! What business is it of mine how much money they have while I’m booking the show? Aren’t we to treat people the same regardless of age, race, financial status, etc. That’s what on line pricing does for me. Besides, if my client thinks I’ve under priced myself, a large tip is usually on the way.

Instead of listening for clues on the phone from my prospective clients as to how rich they are and how much I can get out of them, my online pricing, online calendar and online booking form keeps me busy opening emails and promptly emailing them back confirmation letters.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I think your pricing page is fine Ken.

It clearly lays out what type of show you are providing and for what price. It also makes quite clear where your performing area is and the cost of doing a show in any part of that area.

I can see how anyone who has first looked at your web site and then contacts you, is probably ready to book a show.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

RJE,

Thanks for your nice comments. Posting prices on my web site is working very well for me and I feel strongly about it. However, it’s certainly not for everyone and I meant to respond to this post:

Quote:
On 2009-10-08 21:42, CCPCris wrote:
Well I was told by a magician in my area, that he wants ALL THE OTHER MAGICIANS in the area to post their prices on their websites. He went as far as saying if we don't, then it means our efforts could be dishonest and may try underbidding to gain an event henceforth underballing him. He also went on to say that if we all didn't lower our prices to match his, he would do everything in his power to make sure we do not get any gigs at all.

This magician in your area is being ridiculous and with and attitude like that I don’t think he will last long in this business.

This is a free market economy. It’s wonderful that we get to run our business the way we want a work out our own strategy. Furthermore, you want to have as many friends as you can. By making threats like he did, he will end up alienating most of the people that can help him succeed.
www.KenNorthridge.com
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I just think by putting your prices on your website is only stopping you from earning more money. Ken Northridge I understand millionaires are a bit more savvy (after all that's why they are successful most of the time like you said). So if you put a price on your site, they are only going to want that price. If they are savvy with money...they wouldn't settle for a higher price when they can get you down to your minimum charge.
Ken it is working for you, and not doing you any harm - you have your client base, and if you have regular work, you have no need to change. I feel differently because my age, my location, my act, lots of factors.
I think I got this from Paul Daniels, and it’s also in The Magic of Michael Ammar book.
You decide on a minimum fee of $250 (for round figures). For whatever gig you do, whether it is half an hour or 3 hours, you tell yourself you won't go out for less than $250.
It now goes two ways with the client.
Firstly, this may be a lot of money to them. And after you understand that your client isn't going to be able to afford this you can say "don't forget that for $250 I'll throw in free party bags for the kids, and this is a 3 hour performance. And for this price I'll teach all the kids two tricks they can use at school or with their friends."
Or
When you realize your client has money to burn and he gives you the impression he has more money to spend you can say "Now that will be for the first two hours. I can also provide an extra hour for $150, as well as party bags for the kids at $5 each. I can also provide magic tuition for the kids for an extra $100."
The first scenario you have to work a lot harder for your money,but you shouldn't feel bad, because you are earning your minimum amount. If are not happy with $250 then you raise it until you’re happy.
The second scenario is great because you walk away with more money, and mix with clients who are better off...and you continue the relationship with them earning more gigs with the client and his friends.
Doesn't apply just to kids parties. (I've never performed at a kids party). It's not about having a $200 show, a $500 show and a $1,000 show. If it’s business...it’s about getting more money in your bank. I have performed the same show, the same act, the same tricks in the same order with the same patter two nights running. First night I might have got $200, 2nd night I walked away with $780. Is this not more appealing than doing both gigs at the $200 rate?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Ah, yes. That is the approach that Michael Ammar teaches. I have his tape, “Negotiating Higher Performance Fees” and I have been openly critical of it on this forum before. For the record, I have great respect for Michael Ammar, think he’s the best magic teacher ever, and am going to see him lecture in November. Its just on this point I don’t agree with him.
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 13:55, Flec wrote:
I have performed the same show, the same act, the same tricks in the same order with the same patter two nights running. First night I might have got $200, 2nd night I walked away with $780. Is this not more appealing than doing both gigs at the $200 rate?

See, I just have a problem with that. Maybe I’m being naïve but I just don’t see this as doing business honorably, and I would argue it is short sighted. Sure you may walk away with $780 for that performance. But what if, down the road, your $780 customer talks to your $200 customer and they compare notes. Don’t you think the $780 customer is going to be upset? Unhappy customers are not good for your long term business.
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 13:55, Flec wrote:
If it’s business....it’s about getting more money in your bank.

Agreed. But there are different strategies to obtaining that goal.

These are just my humble opinions. Unfortunately, I cannot point to my large bank account and say, “See, it works” Smile
www.KenNorthridge.com
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I understand your point, and I was wary of this when I started doing this. But with all due respect, someone who books you for $780 isn't the type of person to mix with people who book $200 magicians. If you're financially well off...you tend to mix with people who have the same sort of money as you.

Phil Jay told me if you double your prices, you can earn the same amount of money, by working half the amount of time. I'm not saying you have to double your prices, but certainly increase them. By putting a price on a website I am almost obliged to stick to that price, and will never increase them?

Again, just my 2 pence...You seem to have a good system, and a regular work flow. If it ain't broke don't fix it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Prices on your website (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL