The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Old Gaffs Molding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Use your 'sniffer'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
I did, they just smell dusty.....I think. I'll just keep an eye on it...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If they were mildewed or moldy you'ld smell it. Cool.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I read (god knows where or when) the final step in making a real shrunken head is putting it in hot ash so I can see him making them with a white ashy color. Follow the nose. It always knows.

Store in a cool dry place and you should be fine. No direct sun light either. My little office is like a museum but I have a hard time figuring out where to display what for many reasons. My great grand mothers buggy whip is a chore to show and condition.
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
Well, its Washington, so its pretty cool year round. A bit damp, tho. I have a huge collection of various collectibles ( no buggy whips ) and everything seems to be O.K.
The heads are in plastic "bell jars" with little breather holes....I figgure that's O.K., and throw in some dry packs the next time I get some beef jerky?
Utah_Showman
View Profile
Veteran user
Heart of Utah
350 Posts

Profile of Utah_Showman
Josh,

Homer Tate used toilet paper and horse glue when making his figures. He also used human hair one of his wives was a hair dresser.

Homer would go out in the desert and find all kinds of stuff to make things from.

He would use bones, teeth, ect. to create his creatures.

He also used old news papers to make the bodies for his mudmen and other creations.

You may have dust build up on the heads, unless they have been damp at on time or the other you shouldn't have mold.

I've heard that the horse glue Homer used would take the skin right off your hands.

If you would please email me some of your photos, I would love to see them in a larger size? You can email me at jrobinson@sideshowworld.com

Thanks
John
Sideshow World
Utah_Showman
View Profile
Veteran user
Heart of Utah
350 Posts

Profile of Utah_Showman
Josh,

Thanks for the images.

Hide Glues - OX HIDE Generally considered the finest and strongest of organic glues. This material from rendered down hides of old oxen or cattle, provides the darkest, most durable and possesses the greatest strength. Water soluble, it by itself is not waterproof. Other natural materials can be added to many of the hide glues to make them waterproof. The materials (hide glues) have a shear strength slightly less than that of modern epoxies.

HORSE HIDE Made of horse hides usually provided by slaughter houses. An excellent quality glue, however if younger hides are used the glue will not be as strong as if made from older animals. Does not possess the strength and toughness of ox hide glue. Hooves are sometimes added to hide glue mixtures, although hooves make good glue they are not as strong as straight hide glue.

John
Sideshow World
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
Thanks John,
Guess I know now why my grandpa went to the "glue factory"?! Good info.

One of the heads has teeth! Looks like wood, I think.

don't know if the hair is human (creepy) or not, but they have a slight case of mange, but I guess there 40+ years old? I'm 33, and going thin, so I guess that's not so bad........

Thanks again. J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Old Gaffs Molding (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL