The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking through a rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Do you know where I can find some info or plans concerning the Walking Through Rope Illusion. What is the exact name of it and who has create it?

Thanks!

Johnny
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Do you mean Rope Through the Body?
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I don't know who created it, but you can use "Houdini's Rope" from Jim Steinmeyer's "Device and Illusion". There are a number of other great effects and ideas in that book, which make it well worth purchasing.

Try http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/ to purchase it from him directly.
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
I agree with Curt, "Device and Illusion" is an excellent book.

You will also find three versions of walking through a rope in "The Genius of Robert Harbin", by Eric Lewis. The first two methods are mechanical, similar to Steinmeyer's version but more difficult to build and doesn't look as innocent. The second version however packs flat and is very ingenious. Robert Harbin used this seemingly impromptu item on the cruise ships.

While I'm typing, a couple of other sources have come to mind; Abbott's Walking thru a Ribbon, and the old, but workable, "Grandmother's Necklace" principle.

Thanks
Paul
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Thank you very much guys. I think that the version that I was looking for is Houdini's Rope. Has anyone ever seen it performed? What was the reaction? I thought it would be a great one man illusion to add to my stage and coporate show. Is it hard to build?

Thanks!

Johnny
JohnMartin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnMartin
Just had the pleasure of seeing Bob Sheets lecture last week. He performed his Hang'em High rope through body and I must say it is a very effective illusion with only a rope and two assistants.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2003-06-10 16:49, Johnny_Dee wrote:
I thought it would be a great one man illusion to add to my stage and coporate show. Is it hard to build?

I haven't seen it performed, but it doesn't look that hard to build. Now that it's the summer months, you might be able to find a theatrical carpenter who would love the work to make it for you at a reasonable price.

I believe Hocus-Pocus had a model from a private collection on sale for $399(?) at one time.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Oh man, $400.00 plus for a rope through body? Wow! I guess that it probably is worth it. I imagine that you get some kind of stage prop (which you now have to break down and transport and then set-up again) with some kind of mechanical workings that allows you to give the illusion that a rope penetrates your (or a spectator’s) body.

However, for less than $25.00 you can buy, the already mentioned, “Hang Them High”. It is a very nice version of rope through body. In it a length of rope is held by two spectators (one at each end of the rope) and then penetrates the performers body. That is it! That’s the whole effect. A straight piece of rope starts on one side of the performers body and ends up on the other side of the performers body.

Or for just a few bucks for an ungimmicked length of rope you can perform U. F. Grant’s old rope thru a spectator’s body. His version is in print and easily found. A length of rope (say 12 or 15 feet) and three spectators (two to hold the ends of the rope and one to have the rope penetrate is all you need. Or you can actually perform it on yourself and have the rope pass thru you instead of the third spectator.

Both are inexpensive illusions, both can fill a stage and look like a big production and, as often said in the old magic catalogues, they “Pack flat and play big!”
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I think this is also in Wilson's book. At any rate it is very inexpensive to make.

20' or so of rope (braided nylon 3/8" is about $.40/foot at Lowes), white thread (very cheap) and that's pretty much all you need.

I love the effect and have done it many times. Any number of general magic books will probably have the effect in it as well.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
I don't know the "Hang Them High" by Bob Sheet. However I have to say that what I like in the Houdini's Rope from Steinmeyer is that it's seem to be more a "walk through effect" than a "rope through body". There's lot of discussion on walking through a solid mirror or wall but the problem with it is that the good ones are not packing flat and most of the time you need an assistant. I think that a "walk through rope" like Steinmeyer or Houdini's rope can be a great piece of magic if it's done properly. It also allows you to do a different kind of rope trick. Definitely going to work on this one.

Just my thought...

Johnny
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
For a new twist to Rope Through Body, try using yellow, 3" plastic tape that is used to cordon off crime scenes, construction sites etc. You can get a roll of it that says "CAUTION" at any home repair store. If you know someone in the police or fire department they may be able to get you some that says "KEEP OUT" or "POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS".

The advantage of using this tape is that it opens itself up to a whole range of wild stories that you can make up to go along with the effect. The tape has no gimmicks, and can be examined before the effect, but not after.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
In my opinion it seems a bit to much to use stage props in order to walk through a rope.
I own Stienmeyers Device & Illusion book and it is a great work, but it seems to me that if you "actually" intended to walk through a rope you would not use stocks and such to hold the rope. In illusions such as walking through mirrors, or glass, or steel plates it seems somewhat justified to use frames and such to hold them as such items are bulky and may be difficult to handle minus such "extras". Rope is too small and easy to handle to justify the use of other props, thus tipping the audience to the workings behind the effect. I suggest you use one of the "propless" methods mentioned above. Ronald R. Romiski
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
For those of you curious about a four-hundred dollar rope walk-thru. It has much in common with the "Pillars of Solomon" effect and not the "Chinese Sticks".

The advantage Houdini's Rope Walk-thru has over many similiar effects is that this one allows the spectators or rope handlers to view and inspect the exact point of the rope which will penetrate the performer.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think there is a difference between walking through a rope and rope through body. Walking through is much stronger. If it takes special props, so be it.
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quote:
On 2003-06-12 10:19, Eldon wrote:
I think there is a difference between walking through a rope and rope through body. Walking through is much stronger.

This is exactly why I like Houdini's rope

Johnny
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Quote:
In my opinion it seems a bit to much to use stage props in order to walk through a rope.

Forgive me for pulling this out to comment. I was just thinking that if we could do "real magic," it would be a bit much to walk through a rope anyway, when you could just walk over/under it. Smile

--- Guy
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
Good point! But I still think Houdini's rope is a great looking illusion.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Quote:
it would be a bit much to walk through a rope anyway, when you could just walk over/under it.

If you take this perspective, whats the point in doing 'real magic'? Surely it's easier not to cut your assistant in half, not make her disappear, then reappear, not cut the rope, then restore it.

The whole point of walking through the rope is for entertainment purposes... walking above or under it doesn't fit into this criteria!

Smile
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
No, here's the whole point of the illusion. You must use it within the context of a storyline or theme to make it entertaining.

If you are going to do a rope thru body then perhaps talk about why magicians need a box to slice a woman in half. Let us do without the box and use two simple ropes, etc.

"Use effects, props,illusions, gimmicks, etc..to aid your storline presentations by any means necessary!"

"Do not merely perform Tricks!"

Has anyone here actually built their own Houdini's Rope Device?

"Houdini's Rope"

The design in Device and Illusion look exactly like Owen's "Walking thru a Steel
Bar"

http://www.owenmagic.com/Illusions/Illus......s_6.html
rr
JohnMartin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnMartin
Eldon,

I beg to differ, but walking through a rope or pulling a rope through your body is exactly the same thing in the minds of the lay audience. The effect is of the rope passing thru a solid object. Having said that, which of the two versions leaves a more powerful image? A wood platform with two uprights and cover (jacket or cloth) while the magic is being done or an instant and visual penetration with no cover, no "gimmicks", no strange props. Which will the audience remember more when they tell others..."He pulled a solid rope thru his body."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking through a rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL