The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Close-up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I love getting the reactions from people who think they knew how it was done. The best thing about close up is a lot of it can be examined before and after, where as stage and kids are controlled audiences so it is easier to just say what is happening, rather than what is happening. If you can get the audience to agree with what you say, BRILLIANT. I needed to know what type of magic to go into because I am fairly young (16), and should sort out my priorities now.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
My favorite type of magic would definitely have to be close-up for many of the reasons people listed above. Though I don't have one specific effect/routine as my favorite, I have always loved the cups and balls; performing the routine, watching other versions of it, studying the history of the trick, etc. Another one of my favorites would have to be Matrix.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Definitely close-up. It looks more "magical" than a bunch of brightly colored boxes on a stage. My favorite close-up effects would be the pasteboards.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
There are a lot of packet tricks which fall under close-up magic. For a small investment, you can have lots of good effects ready to show at a moment's notice, under close scrutiny of your audience. Try NFW, Lightning Lady, the good old Fool's Monte . . .

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
Smile

And don't forget your coins . . .
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Does anyone think that close-up is as easy to be caught on as stage or children's parties? Ninety-nine percent of the time when I am performing, no one detects a thing, but one percent of the time, some little thing is seen, or I drop something. Nobody's perfect though!
www.magicman13.co.uk

MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Close-up magic is by far my favorite kind of magic because most of the time it uses objects people see everyday, and it can be performed almost anywhere. Some of the tricks happen in the spectators' hands and right in front of their face.

Stage magic and other types of magic are great too, but for me close-up magic is the best. I have many favorite tricks but the one that gets one of the best reactions is Out of This World.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

I agree, Out of This World is a great impromtu trick that could even be borrowed. That, along with the Ambitious Card, get the two biggest reactions from people who I borrow a pack of cards from.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Danny Magic
View Profile
New user
ca
30 Posts

Profile of Danny Magic
Close-up for sure. When I got bit by the magic bug (you guys know what I mean) I became a fiend. I remember being at the magic shop asking the store's magician to demo everything.

I soon found an IBM ring and joined. It got worse. I started entering contests with help from a good friend. Someone offered to take me to the Magic Castle and I went. When I saw the close-up gallery, I said to myself, Self! You will someday perform here. That was in 1997.

July 14-21 2003 I performed late close-up at the Castle. A minimum of four shows a night and I performed seven on Sat and six on Fri. It was my magic dream come true. I'm hooked on close-up forever.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I really like close-up since you can interact with the people and you can go more with the flow and improvise from time to time. My favorite effects are cups and balls because of the history and the endless ways to put together a routine. I also like the chop cup and spongeballs.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
I love close-up. My favorite effects are:

Two Card Monte
Ambitious Card
Sponge balls
Cups and balls
Twisting Arm

:bg:
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
I find that close-up is more versatile and readily available than any other kind that requires too much preparation. Maybe I do it just because I'm lazy. Smile
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Profile of Digital Backlot
Are there any good close up magic routines for kid’s parties? I'd love to figure out how to do it, but it seems like the flashy big stuff works best with the kiddies.
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Close up and impromptu - the ultimate combination for making magic.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Hey digital backlot, don't even try doing close up for kids. I tried, and I failed. They don't understand card tricks, and they want to see everything at every stage of the way. If you are covering something, they'll say I saw that, or something like that and not be interseted. Because closeup is the most magical, they are more intent on ruining it and trying to find out how it's done because it's right in their face!
www.magicman13.co.uk

David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
With sheer timing, execution and time misdirection, Crazy Man's Handcuffs is a killer.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I love close-up...not because of the tricks...but because I like to be amongst the people. I like to laugh with them and become their friends through Magic.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
Close up is great - I just love coin vanishes. After vanishing a coin a couple of times using different methods, it just seems like magic to the eyes, kinda like the ambitious card.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Quote:
On 2003-12-21 15:41, Chuds wrote:
Hey digital backlot, don't even try doing close up for kids. I tried, and I failed. They don't understand card tricks, and they want to see everything at every stage of the way. If you are covering something, they'll say I saw that, or something like that and not be interseted. Because closeup is the most magical, they are more intent on ruining it and trying to find out how it's done because it's right in their face!

I've had just the opposite reaction when table hopping (I'd never do a close up show and call it a birthday party). But I've had about 30 years of experience reading audiences and making decision as to what can be used and what can't. Kids don't understand a deck of playing cards, but they do understand a deck of "Old Maid" cards, so I keep a deck of those handy when I'm table hopping. If they drop down to the floor to try and see something, I purposely do something that they won't be able to see. Then I tell them, "If you're down there, you can't see what's going on up here."

If I get a grabber, I pull out the chop cup and when I know they're going to grab it away, there's going to be a big ball underneath. And while they're trying to figure that out, I load the other one right in front of them. The key is, make them think that they're doing the magic (Hey! How'd YOU get that big ball under there?!?!). That attitude wins them over to your side, and when they're on your side, they're not being "challenged" by the magic that's happening.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
I love all types of magic...but like a lot of people here, close-up is my favorite. I love interacting with people and seeing their reactions. Also, when you do something that takes place in a spectators hands, it is so strong that they will be likely to remember it for a very long time. The main thing is I just love the opportunity to get to meet new people and have a great time.
Yogibear0925
View Profile
New user
Florida
20 Posts

Profile of Yogibear0925
Close-up is my favorite.

Chop Cup
TT
Inviso Deck
Ring through Rope
Cut and restored rope
Professor's Nightmare
These are my favs.
Its not the magic that you do, but the way you do the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Close-up (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL