The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackface (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Being from South Georgia, you yankee, I can detect his usage of an exagerated Southern dialect. I do agree with you that he needs to shut his yap and be polite to his hosts.
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
Well dang, I guess I am a yankee compared to someone living in South Georgia!
Since we can never hope to understand why we are here, if there's anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action. - Martin Heidegger
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I'm from South Louisiana. Anyone North of Baton Rouge is a yankee.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Well to we Australians anyone from north of Mexico is a Yank - even Canadians, until they correct us.

Before your rather pervasive culture influenced us to drop most of our linguistic individuality and speak American with our own peculiar drawl(strine), we were rather fond of rhyming slang and thus 'Yank' became 'Septic Tank'. Don't be offended by that though - it was not meant badly - this is a country where 'you old b*stard'is universally recognised as a term of endearment, as are various other terms the asterisks will not permit me to share with you here.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 10:52, Destiny wrote:
this is a country where 'you old b*stard'is universally recognised as a term of endearment, as are various other terms the asterisks will not permit me to share with you here.

Same in Louisiana. "You son of a &*^$&, how the hell are ya? How's the wife and kids?
Peace

Scott

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There was a song in the early 80's, can't remember the name or anything, that had the line 'I went up North, way up North, up to Atlanta....'
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
LOL musta been coming from the gulf coast.
Peace

Scott

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr_SY-1Z5vg

Equally offensive or unoffensive Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 10:52, Destiny wrote:
Well to we Australians anyone from north of Mexico is a Yank - even Canadians, until they correct us.

Ok. Now THAT's offensive! Smile hehehe
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I watched Cleveland (a cartoon) on line last night and in a scene Cleveland, who is black, walks into the kitchen dressed like he is white in order to tell a kid he is the kid in the future. Clevelands friend walks in dressed like Cleveland so he can tell Clevelands kid he is him from the future. Cleveland yells at the guy "We can dress like YOU but YOU can never dress like US!".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 17:06, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 13:42, ed rhodes wrote:
I am not offended by what other people are offended by. I am offended by what offends me.

I thought the Jackson thing was highly offensive, at the same time, there's a video out there of a Japanese variety show where a Japanese man, in blackface is supposed to be Barrack Obama giving his famous catch phrase "Change!" He suddenly starts doing a magic act with the catch phrase as his "magic word."

Was I offended? No. Was it funny? I think so.

I try to take each case on an individual basis and not judge what's offensive by "what offends the group around me."
Yes the black people in your story were so predisposed in their thinking that a doctor could be only white. Your story is exemplarily of prejudice or being predisposed in ones thinking but the definition of the word has morphed into something much different. In our world today it is now associated with criminal profiling. So much so that our law enforcement has a hard time doing their job without being labeled racist.

There is a great dissimilarity between politically correct and being insulting. I have seen the Obama imitator/magician skit and did not see it as black face at all. They did not make Obama look like a negative stereotypical black male and that is why it worked. If it had been Jimmy Cater he would have had red hair buck teeth and freckles so people would know it was Carter.

I wasn't clear. The person telling the story was white. The person he was talking to was black and the doctor turned out to be black as well. (Point of the story).
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-10-11 03:49, MagicSanta wrote:
Why can't the other countries, dozens of them, have some slavery shame?

Also what do you mean by 'our'? For the most part slave trade stopped prior to the revolutionary war and thus the USA was not a big importer of slaves, hate to ruin your day. My family never owned slaves, most Southerners never owned slaves, not even close, even when slaves were used. Who uses the chinaman scripting out of Tarbell? I'd like a name dang it. Mellow out and don't worry about the 'shame' that you nor anyone else alive here carries.

So, who was that being bought and sold up until the 1800's? The acceptance of slavery almost sank the Revolution since the South wouldn't sign the Declaration of Independence until Jefferson took out a clause condemning slavery.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Slave trade was made illegal in 1790. If you are refering to the New Orleans slave market Louissiana did not become a state until 1812. The Brits continued with slaves in the carrib and slavery continued to be legal in some states but that is not the trade of slaves. If you want to complain about slavery I suggest you point your finger at Brazil, the biggest importer of slaves of any country. Slavery also existed throughout South America and Mexico as well....dang them all.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
So slavery was okay, it was just the trade that was bad. Got it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No it wasn't okay from the modern perspective but this continued "The US had slaves! They are horrible people!" nonsense has to stop. Blame the Portuguese, blame the Spaniards, blame the Brits. If you want to scream about countries that had slaves then include ALL of them. The big difference is in the US there is weeping and gnashing of teeth and hope for a big payday (what a surprise that is in there) while in other places they are kind of like the decendents of convicts in Australia, there is a bit of a sense of pride in having overcome the past while here it oppresses' 'em. Geez, I was in Israel and ran into people who actually were IN concentration camps and they didn't complain and whine. I'd say get over it but there is no one alive in need of getting over it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
So glad those concentration camp survivors have such an upbeat attitude.

They're probably organizing right now to demand that Germany retract the apologies and reparations paid.

Anyway, with regard to slavery, the point is, if we claim we have and/or want a just society in the US, then it's important to recognize our past, and recognize how the present evolved from that past. Minstrelsy and the blackface tradition was an attempt to keep the white skin privilege intact in the 19th century. Ironically, it was created and perpetuated by Irish and then Jewish immigrants who as a group were insecure about their status as "real" Americans. By stereotyping Blacks, these immigrants could climb a bit higher on the social ladder.

Eventually, African-Americans were employed in minstrel shows--but only if they too blacked-up.

Read about Bert Williams, said to be the saddest man in show business . . .
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Here is a recent news article about the Louisiana justice of the peace who refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple.

It is interesting that he claims to have "piles and piles of black friends."

AND he says he even lets them use his bathroom!

Wow, I guess if they're really, really polite, he'll let them pick the cotton in his backyard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_o......l_rebuff
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Can someone explain how it's possible to be offended by someone wearing black make up?
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackface (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL