The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackface (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought Lon Chaney was a monster star....
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2009-11-09 01:48, Doug Higley wrote:
Eddie Murphy. He does black face and white face and all the other flavors. He does Jews and Hispanic and Chinese in his movies regularly. The Wayan's brothers did 2 white chicks...Men regularly spoof another socalled minority with makeup, Women in Transvestite entertaiments...Robert Downey Jr.'s recent blackface in a major motion picture...
it all depends on the property and who's money is behind it I guess.

Was Al Jolson a racist? (I have no idea, just asking.) At the time he was a monster star.

IMO, Robert Downey's blackface was not a cartoon image of a black person like Jolson's was.
Back then, blatant racism was the norm. Segregation in sports, jobs and life in general was tolerated.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-10-18 18:00, critter wrote:
Quote:
Maybe it crosses from "good clean fun" into "offensive disrespect" when the class or race or nationality being caricatured has a history of being oppressed or belittled.

Tell that to the Irish.

I was watching an episode of "Star Trek-TNG" where they'd picked up a colony that was threatened by whatever was threatening colonies in that series. The colony seemed to be based on 1920's Irish stereotypes. The men were drab little people who were happy to drink their synthahol and spin tall tales, the one woman I remember from the episode was a fiery redhead who took Worf down a peg or two.

I remember not being offended so much, but a little appalled that they'd gone for such obvious stereotypes.

As far as "blackface" is concerned. I have to take it on a case by case basis, but generally it isn't good. The Japanese guy doing Barak Obama as a magician with his magic word being "Change!" was funny and Billy Crystal's Sammy Davis Jr. character is a classic.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2009-11-08 22:18, MagicSanta wrote:
Great, now I have a desire to do my stupid Norwegian accent.

Not STUPID Norwegian ... GOOFY Norwegian. Of COURSE a "stupid" Norwegian accent would be offensive! "Oh ja, dey say ve are styooo-pid!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Mine sister vas bitten by a moose!"
Ain't life unkind?"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Blackface is alive and well in Quebec.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment......lackface

Who knew?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2009, Doug Higley wrote:
"...after they look around to make sure others are offended."

Wow...is that a boat load of INSIGHT! That word grouping puts PC in general in the stark light of truth.

I don't think so. I would have been offended no matter what anybody else's opinion was.
Ain't life unkind?"
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Racism and Santa's Dutch black-faced helpers

A Christmas tradition in the Netherlands is evidence, some say, of racism in a country seen as a bastion of tolerance.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/feature......643.html
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Five years ago, I recommended the book Love and Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and...... Class by Eric Lott. I also recommend the book Blacking Up by Robert Toll.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2009, Starrpower wrote:
I think people are too sensitive and look for things to be offended about.

I am Norwegian. If I blew a gasket every time I heard someone making a goofy Norwegain accent, doing parodies of Vikings, etc. etc. I would drive myself mad.

If it's funny, it's funny. If the intention is not to insult, why LOOK for an insult?

You might like this. It's a webcomic dealing with Scandanavian countries as if each country were an individual person;

http://satwcomic.com/sweden-denmark-and-norway

Norway gets picked on a lot;

http://satwcomic.com/they-re-so-stupid

America and the European countries show up as well. Each of the strips has some reference within the humor to something real that was going on at the time. (Big strip was America developing a tan. As an American, I wasn't offended.)

My major problem with the strip is keeping the Scandavian countires straight in my mind, each of them is wearing his/her country's flag as a shirt, but I can't keep the flags straight.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackface (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL