The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Prey of the Prestidigitator, by Tom Stone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
745 Posts

Profile of TStone
Yet another one!
Titled "Prey of the Prestidigitator", and stuffed to the brim with card and close-up material. Surprisingly little padding this time.

Can be found at:
http://shop.tomstone.se

Comments and reviews (good or bad) are very welcome.
amccrawford
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of amccrawford
Another ebook from Tom Stone, produced as always in his beautiful and elegant style.

This ebook is rather different from his recent works which have been becoming more of a brainstorming session of ideas rather than worked out pieces. Prey of the Prestidigitator in contrast has more worked out pieces and concentrates on general close-up pieces. Some of the pieces could still benefit from being set in a longer context (the first trick is wonderfully quick), but I am happy that he is left them like this rather than republishing other people's work to pad out the routine.

Overall I enjoyed this ebook tremendously. He has included his usual creative thinking and has included a wide range of close-up effects - cards, coins (including some out of fashion stuff - 2 coin box items and Ramsey's cylinder), dice etc.

I look forward to working with many of these items more, but in the meantime I highly recommend this ebook to anybody who is prepared to work on the items and build on them to fit themselves and their own routines.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Tom Stone has published "Prey of the Prestidigitator", a 41 page ebook filled with some of the very best thinking in contemporary magic. He's got several card effects and a card sleight, The Stealth Reverse, which is of great interest. His presentatioon in The Collective Blink is nothing short of superb.

This time around Tom has included material from several other magicians. One of these, Beme's Corner, is by the late Sixten Beme and is somewhat reminiscent of both "Color Fusion" by Nash Fung and a color-changing card trick by Marc Oberon, although it preceded these by many years. In the trick,the back of one-quarter of a torn-up, signed selection changes color.

Tom has included a revision of his wonderful Cylinder and Coins trick which was originally published in Genii. It is a well thought-out, completely developed routine.

I love Kismet Poker by Jonas Ljung, a version of the Ten Card Poker Deal which introduces what I believe to be two new concepts -- the anti-Jonah Card and the Palindromic Stack.

Perhaps the item that got my brain working the hardest was Freedom Cuts, Tom's work on the John Hamilton/Gene Finnell Free Cut Principle. Tom states that use of this extraordinary technique is "seldom seen" and I'd have to agree, although I have seen some great presentations itilizing it done by Patrick Page.

Tom's use of misdirection and blocking (as exemplified by Tamariz's Crossing the Gaze Switch) throughout the book is wonderful.

One of my magic heroes is Tommy Wonder, and I rarely invoke his name when describing other magicians' work. But Tom Stone's thinking is in this stratosphere of creative magic.

Oh yes, there are over 100 illustrations!

It's available from http://shop.tomstone.se, and is very highly recommended.

Matt Field
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Tom Stone’s new eBook, Prey of the Prestidigitator, is fantastic. It is, perhaps, his best book and, sadly, I’m late in preparing a review. Not that any glowing review of a creator’s work can ever really be late, but I can’t imagine that my wandering, insignificant thoughts would offer anything new when compared to the glowing praise already bestowed by Matt Field, and other more notable, recognizable names. Nonetheless, I feel obligated to offer my opinion, given that I have done so for each of the last seven eBooks. Additionally, I feel that Tom’s work cannot be praised highly enough, and is deserving of the largest possible audience.

For those who still have not taken the plunge and exposed themselves to any of Tom Stone’s written material, I can only hope that any one of the many endorsements on the various forums will eventually encourage you to finally drop what you are doing, wake up, and dig in. Yes, he is THAT good.

One of the meatier eBooks that Stone has released, Prey of the Prestidigitator measures in at 41 pages. While each of his books contains exceptionally strong, unique ideas, the material in this book seems more thoroughly developed than usual. It is heavily illustrated, and contains a good amount of reference resources (offered via embedded web hyperlinks), making this one of his most satisfying and robust offerings ever.

Here’s a very brief rundown of the contents:

- Reality Glitch: Clever and surprising sandwich that employs a very open transfer (about as bold as a top change, yielding an equally satisfying result).

- Monty Walks Again: Tom describes this as a streamlined handling of Sankey’s “Monte Hall Goes Close-Up.” A Close-Up routine in which the coins in the coin box trade places with a borrowed ring on string.

- The Collective Blink: This is absolutely brilliant. I love the premise, the presentation and the intended effect. In fact, this is one of the items that delayed my review, as it forced me to work on my one-handed bottom deal. I can tell you that it was absolutely worth the effort. This one item is worth more than the price of the entire book (seriously). It also employs a couple of gaffs that you most probably already have lying around (they are just as easily made, if need be). The trick is one of a number of variations that Tom has developed of Bro. John Hamman’s “The Signed Card.”

- Beme’s Corner: by Sixten Beme. Brilliant! Tom pays a heartfelt tribute to his late friend with this write-up of a previously unpublished gem. A selected, signed card from a blue-backed deck is torn into four pieces by both the spectator and magician. The spectator chooses one of the four pieces. It is rubbed against a red amulet (or other red item) and instantly changes into a red-backed piece, which is shown to be a match (complete with spectator’s signature) for the card when the remaining blue-backed pieces are re-assembled.

- Freedom Cuts: An overdue re-introduction of Finnell’s Free Cut principle. Here Tom offers a solution for the replacement of a cut packet onto a pile which is different from that from which the cut packet was originally taken. This method seems more natural and less obvious than the original teachings. Tom also offers a few new uses for the principle, including ideas which employ a mem deck.

- The Stealth Reverse: Very nice, discreet method for reversing a selected card in the deck. Tom goes on to offer several suggested uses, including his own “Karate Kid Card Catch.”

- The Direct Steal: by Max Milton. Another fond tribute to a friend and mentor. This is a beautiful variation on the side steal where the card stolen is the top card of the bottom portion of the deck (rather than the bottom card of the top portion of the deck). This can also be used as a substitute for the pass.

The last two items are also demonstrated by Mr. Stone in his YouTube video, titled Eye Candy. The link to which is provided (embedded as a hyperlink) in the eBook.

- Kismet Poker: by Jonas Ljung. One of the best and most thought provoking items in the book. A 5-hand poker demonstration where the magician always wins, despite an undeniably random set of dealing circumstances. The spectators appear to be in complete control of how the cards are dealt, and who gets which hand. Terrific!

- Silver & Sorcery: Tom devotes the next ten pages to his beautifully choreographed Cylinder and Coins routine, which was recently published in the August 2009 issue of Genii.

- Okito Osmosis: A quickie to add to your Okito routine. Be careful not to overlook this one. I would compare it, in impact, to the Cups & Balls move where you thrust a wand through the bottom of one of the cups. Quick, visual, and stunning. This is a great idea!

Oddly, the book ends on a bit of an anti-climactic note for me…

- Time To Dice: by Axel Adlercreutz. This should have been buried in the middle of the book, if not discarded altogether. It offers nothing new or better than what has already been covered by Sachs, or more recently and eloquently by Steve Dobson, for that matter. An odd choice to end such a brilliant book with.

As with each of his previous releases he has done an admirable job in the crediting department, and has even followed up with a few public posts making corrections and amendments where he found it applicable.

It seems unnecessary to repeat my earlier comparisons to Tommy Wonder (especially since Matt has already invoked the name), but I simply can’t help myself, and I cannot put enough emphasis on the fact that Tom Stone deserves your attention. Creators, philosophers and thinkers of this caliber are rare. It would be a regrettable shame for you to miss out.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
745 Posts

Profile of TStone
Jim Riser adds an interesting idea to one of the items:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=205142
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
745 Posts

Profile of TStone
Jim H
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jim H
These may be stupid questions, but do Tom Stone's E-books download in English and PDF format? I go to the order link and it's in some other language.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
The individual books are no longer available; the material is in Vortex and Maelstrom.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I own most of Tom's ebooks.

Would it be worth it to buy the books too. Is there enough additional material to justify the purchase?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Jim H
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jim H
On his web page at least 2 or 3 are advertised as E-Books???
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Interesting - Prey is still up. Grab it while you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Prey of the Prestidigitator, by Tom Stone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL