The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Lubor Die, Shock Die etc - Can Anyone Help with History? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
I'm fascinated by this prop for some reason and I'm trying to put together the history of the variations, manufacturers etc. Here's what I have so far:

1. Lubor Wurfel (Lubor Die)
Magic by Boretti
Germany
Date: ??? early to mid 60s???
Black with white spots. Was there a white version? I am told that this is the original version of this trick?

2. Shock Die
Tannen
USA
Date: ??? 60s? 70s?
Black and white versions. Smaller die than #1. No mention of Lubor Fiedler in the instructions but I suppose it was marketed as his invention? Did anyone else make this in this period? Tannen is not mentioned on my instructions though they are clearly pretty old.

3. Mirror Dice
John Kennedy
USA
Date: circa 1990
White die, same principle but uses a mirror for a different effect. Not weighted as the original was (I'm assuming this). Does this credit Fiedler?

4. Dice Illusion
HT Magic
China
Date: 2000+
2 versions both with white dice. Similar to #3 in its use of a mirror. No Fiedler credit.

So that's what I have. Have there been other versions? Can anyone enlighten me about dates and other facts. Also interested in how this prop was advertised early on.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Not sure if this helps you, but here is an entry from The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic:

Invented by creative Czech-born Austrian magician Lubor Fiedler in 1966 and performed at FISM in 1970. Originally called the "Lubor Die" but soon pirated by manufacturers and popularly known as the "Gozinta Box" (by Supreme) and more recently the "In-N-Outer Box" (by Royal). Briefly featured by David Nixon (on TV), Jeffrey Atkins, Ali Bongo, Ken de Courcey, etc. A giant version for stage work was introduced by Dick Zimmerman and adopted by Doug Henning (1981)
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Hi and thanks. I probably should have described the trick as the color changing spots on a regular die. So what you found is a different trick - very confusing since the original of the trick I have is also called Lubor Die or Dice.

Here's the trick using the original die:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i3rNVK6-G4

And here's a photo of Shock Die which is the same configuration as Dice Illusion - the 5 is the "top" of the die.

http://www.atlantismagic.com/albums/albu......7337.htm
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Should also add that the fairly recent (early 2000) paddle trick called Dragster is a variation of this same trick. I don't own Dragster but there is a thread here dedicated to it.

I'm hoping too that Angelo Carbone can chime in here since he's seen the original prototype for Lubor/Shock Die.
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
So I wonder if anyone can tell me if Shock Die appeared in a Tannen catalog?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have the 1978 Tannen catalogue (No. 12), and on pg. 53 it shows the trick "Shock Dice," which matches your description.
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Fantastic! Thanks. Now at least I can try to work back from that.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Mark,
Anything new to report? Please keep us posted...
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Not yet. I ordered a couple Tannen catalogs to have a look for myself. The tough part is going to be tracing the history of the original one. Some folks say there was a Schwarzman version but the one I have has German instructions by Boretti. Maybe Schwarzman just wrote an English language routine for the same die? I'd love to know who made the original die. It's charming in its "homemade-ness". The Tannen one is a little more professional in feel and look.

Anyway, I'm keeping the search alive.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
266 Posts

Profile of tstark
I have had two black sets and one white set and they all appeared to have been manufactured similarly. I don't know if the ones sold by Tannen were made by Tannen (they may have been imported). The only instructions I had were for Shock Die. The Schwarzman and Kennedy were the same or similar in that they used the mirror behind the die but one may have been automatic to make the turn. There is a picture of the white set which I believe was the Tannen's version and it can be seen in my museum at atlantismagic.com in the Pocket Magic section. Now that I am thinking about it the manufacture did seem to be different in the sets I have had as the only set I have remaining seems to be slightly larger and wood. It came from France and may have been one of the original Lubor sets. Two dice were provided with each set and the Shock Die instructions gave a few methods of performing. This is still one of my favorite principles and effects.
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Yes, I have the wood set which I was told are the originals but mine are from Germany. My other black set (Tannen I was told) looks different than the white ones in your museum. The corners are rounded and the spots are smaller.

Oh and I was the guy who wrote to you about that Shock Die set. So thanks again for the detailed reply. As you can see and as you predicted they showed up soon after you predicted they would.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Lubor Die, Shock Die etc - Can Anyone Help with History? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL