The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Korea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Smith
View Profile
New user
Korea
99 Posts

Profile of Bryan Smith
Hello all,

Well I guess this is a good place for my first post. I just joined this community and look forward to discussing magic with you fine folks.

My primary interests are in magic that be performed without the use of obvious gimmicks, seemingly using only ordinary objects that one might normally have on them. Some of my favorites are putting a pen through a bill and restoring it, levitating things, making things disappear, etc right on the fly in a bar or other setting. As part of my fairly recent goal to expand my repertoire, however, I have been learning some card tricks (My false shuffles still look really false...) and am interested in other things as well like maybe learning hypnotism. I still don't like effects with really obvious gimmicks, though. Even if the audience can't tell how it's done, they know it has something to do with this weird thing you've produced that normal people don't carry around with them...

I have decided to take my interest in magic to a new level recently and so am looking for resource to help me. I hope that I can perform some shows and the like eventually.

By the way, I'm in Korea. Anyone else here in Korea? I get the impression the magic community here is pretty small and the English-speaking magic community is almost (completely?) non-existent so please let me know if you're in the country.
"I'm half drunk most the time
and I'm all drunk the rest"
--Tom Waits
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Hi Bryan!
Wow t's pretty cool you're in Korea, I'm on the other side of the puddle, anyway, I'd like to congratulate you for being clear on what you want, that's really important. You'll be performing shows and other venues in no time.
Let me give you an advice, most famous and good magicians toured the world with just a handful of tricks that were simple, just like the ones you mentioned. The difference with a regular guy, is that these guys became great at presentation and patter. So be sure to practice that and find your style.
If I can help you to take your magic to a new level, let me know what I can do for you.
BobC
Bryan Smith
View Profile
New user
Korea
99 Posts

Profile of Bryan Smith
Thanks, Bob

You're right that I could use some work on presentation and patter and that's one of the main reasons I sought out sites like this, to get advice on that kind of stuff.

I have a fairly nonchalant style. Basically instead of the wacky patter a lot of people use to distract the audience, I generally do something more like putting them at ease using a laid-back approach and then producing the effect without telling them what's going to happen.
"I'm half drunk most the time
and I'm all drunk the rest"
--Tom Waits
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Your on the right path!
I'm glad you have your own style!!
I hope to read your posts and reviews soon. Let me know whenever you need some help.
BobC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Korea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL