The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Simply Harkey..a Review. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I recieved this book in the mail recently and I must say the material is exquisite. David Harkey is not only a magician, but a poet of sorts. It shows through in all of his writing throughout the book how much he truly loves the art. On top of the skills he has in writing and creating, he also drew all of the illustrations. How much talent can one man possibly have you might say. I urge you to pick up this book and find out the answer to that question. Now for some of my favorite effects:

Budge: You hypnotize a spectator so they cant even budge a deck of cards

Thunder and Lightning: a torn card that you and the spectator each hold half of turn out to be a signed selected card that was chosen after it was torn

Mirage: A desert image is drawn on a card and a lighter makes an oasis appear

The Goldfinger Trilogy: Magic with a finger ring and your 2 hands

These are just a few of my favorite effects. I almost would go so far as to say this material is in the same creative class as Paul Harris' material. Harris-esque if you will. Which makes me wonder why Richard Kaufman refers to the book and I quote "as total crap." A strong 10 out of 10.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Xander Deax - you are absolutely right: David Harkey has not only excellent ideas but also knows how to "package" it nicely. All his works are outstanding from a graphic design and typographic standpoint.

I had the great pleasure to see him in a lecture on November 9, 1989 in Rheinbach, Germany - the night the Berlin Wall came down. I think everyone was so fascinated with his material that we started realizing what happened in the world outside long after the lecture was over. I remember someone came in and told us what he heard on the radio - the Berlin Wall coming down. But we were so concentrated that we did not care till later ...
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have David Harkey's video and you are correct the material is excellent, and his goldfinger routine is a killer,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with David a few years back, and he has a devilishly clever mind.

Simply Harkey is a 1991 production, and it *still* boasts some fresh material Smile

David put me on to one of the hidden gems in this book, and he was right - most magicians ignore it - but it slays audiences. Hidden right out in the open Smile

--- Guy

Oops -

Forgot to mention - at the time, he showed me a couple of effects he was developing for a new release. When it eventually comes, it will make many workers very happy with some very clever pieces.

--- Guy
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Any suggestions as to where the book can be purchased? I've been try to locate it for quite a while now. Most dealers who have advertized it come back advising it is out of print, which of course it is, so why advertize unless you stock it? Very frustrating...
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I picked up my copy a week ago from Magicbookshop.com. You might want to try them.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-06-10 23:52, GuySavoie wrote:
....and he has a devilishly clever mind.....

I love his effects but, I like the dead clever methods. I couldn't believe some of the ways he does his effects.

Lee
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4997 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Body Language is a very good coin routine in Harkey´s book. Test it out.
Euro Aces is a killer card routine.
Yes this book has many goodies.
I bought my book 1994 at a lecture Harkey had in sweden. He is a great performer.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
The hidden gem is not a card or coin piece. It is called "Eye of the Needle."

David convinced me to try it in front of normal humans, and the reaction is huge. "Just try it," he said. The man knows the impact of his own material! Smile

Now of course, I can envision multiple readers going back to their book, reading it again, and saying, "Nah, it's not for me." Good! I get to keep it! Smile

--- Guy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Simply Harkey..a Review. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL