The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sponge Bunnies Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
One of the very first effects I purchased years ago was the Adam's Sponge Bunnies. My wife and I saw a guy performing them in a Mall, and my wife loved them. So I had to have them (she said so!).

While I occasionally used them, with a good reaction, I want to dig them out again and use them for a family reunion event I'm performing at next month.

The only thing I never really liked about my routine, however, was the patter. I used the Peter Rabbit Goes to Town patter, but never liked it.

As one who is severely imagination-impaired, would a few of you kind folks be willing to share the little stories that you use for this great effect? You may PM me if you wish.

Brian Smile
Marcelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Marcelo
The Peter Rabbit Goes to Town is very cute patter, but I prefer some expositional one. Dai Vernon used to say that when an effect was very, very visual you should let magic talk, not you. I like to put some jokes on it. You can add some pre-made quicklines or just improvise. Just don't make dirty jokes. I saw a very bad performance with dirty jokes and it really ruined the magic. Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I'm not familiar with the Adams bunnies.

I use the Goshman 3D Bunnies. It comes with a couple of good routines by Michael Ammar.

I love the bunnies. It is always a great routine. Ladies especially like it.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Check out Daryl's routine for the Sponge Rabbits on Volume 3 of his "Fooler Dooler" DVD. He has a great routine combining comedy and magic and some original things in the beginning of the routine.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
I agree with Andrew, Daryl's patter is really funny and has many "side" gags!

Martin

You can also use the "squeaker" gag on the bunnys.
life is real magic
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
I haven't spent the time to work this all out, but what if you pattered about a rabbit rancher who is audited by the IRS (change to your local tax gathering entity for non-U.S.). The spectator is the IRS and they end up with both bunnies. The tag line at the baby bunny production could be "look at all the little deductions".
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have to agree with Andrew.. Daryl's routine is really nice. Direct and to the point.

Need to watch your audience about one gag but it works most places.

John
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Might also consider Doug Conn's patter. Smile
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
The New York Lounge in Chicago was famous for this effect. Nick Pappas taught me his patter. This was 20 years ago. I will do this effect for the rest of my life. It's a miracle for the audience.
It's Fun to be Fooled
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Brian,
The best sponge rabbit routine I know is definitely Daryl's. But if you are going to perform it you are going to need to buy Daryl's sponge rabbit routine. The reason being that the Rabbit's are shaped so that if put on a different side they resemble a bird.
Worth the cost of the special rabbits though.
Owen
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
But I tend to agree that the magic should pretty much do the talking. Just some brief talk about bunnies hopping – “Oh look! He hopped again!” -- and a few little one-liners -- maybe a kicker for the end -- ought to do the trick just fine. Who's really paying attention to what you're saying when there are bunnies multiplying in their own hands?
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
I heard that there are sponge bunnies made by Mike Rogers. Anyone confirm this or know where to get them?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
If you have access to the January 1995 issue of Magic magazine (Volume 4, Number 5) you will find a great sponge bunny routine by Chuck Smith called "Rabbit Rare bits". The patter is interesting and involves the spectator and the load of the small bunnies is very cleverly facilitated by a gag kicker tied to the patter. This is the best bunny routine I've come across.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree that Daryl’s routine is good.
Not really proper for kids though.
Daniel Faith
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Here's a good one liner for the sponge bunnies...

As you stuff the two adult rabbits into your fist say, "And you know what happens when you put two rabbits in a dark, tight, enclosed space don't you??? (as you wink) That's right they suffocate!"

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sponge Bunnies Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL