The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Juggling and the brain... New research! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Ok,

So we all probably know that juggling has positive effects on the grey matter of the brain. Well now those clever chaps at Oxford University, England have discovered that there are similar effects on the white matter!

Article from the BBC here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8297764.stm

Useful for all of you that teach juggling/circus skills Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The same story, as reported by yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091012/od_......12153551
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Dah ..... it's been known forever that jugglers often become ambidextrous .
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Its a little more than just becoming ambidextrous.

They're talking about changes in both grey and white matter in the visual part of the brain. That seems quite significant to me. Far more than just becoming ambidextrous.

They've shown in studies in schools here in the UK that juggling can help kids with dyslexia and other learning difficulties overcome problems with reading and writing.

These recent experiments might be the start of telling us why juggling helps these kids.

There's also links between juggling and memory. It is believed that since juggling and memory both use the visual parts of the brain, and juggling has been seen to "strengthen" those areas that memory can be improved.

I'd certainly like to see more research done on this.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Juggling and the brain... New research! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL