The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » When is it "imitation" and when is it "theft?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I'm disppointed to see posts still coming up dissing Mel Mellers..... the offending dvd was pulled so let it be. I have both routines and incorporate parts of both along with my own patter. Although Mel is perfectly capable of defending himself and commenting when and if he so chooses, he does have his defenders, I being one of them. While I don't wish to reopen the thread, I recall some took it upon themselves to express great outrage and the police of the Magic Café sprang into action. People criticised an original performer - one who has shared his hilarious personal routines with the magic fraternity. I'm glad I had his duck presentation on dvd before the censors scooped up the remainder. The presentation is quite different and if one or two small gags are similar, nothing really suffers from this except egos. People have been using puppet animals for generations and some of the gags associated with these are as old as the puppets....the workings of Steve's goose are different from Mel's duck and again the presentations are different. Should some minor movements be similar,even copied, IMHO, it's not worth phoning a lawyer or continuing to sully the name of a fine performer and one who has been so generous in releasing parts of his professional repertoire.
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Quote:
On 2009-10-17 02:39, Ireland wrote:
I'm disppointed to see posts still coming up dissing Mel Mellers..... the offending dvd was pulled so let it be. I have both routines and incorporate parts of both along with my own patter. Although Mel is perfectly capable of defending himself and commenting when and if he so chooses, he does have his defenders, I being one of them. While I don't wish to reopen the thread, I recall some took it upon themselves to express great outrage and the police of the Magic Café sprang into action. People criticised an original performer - one who has shared his hilarious personal routines with the magic fraternity. I'm glad I had his duck presentation on dvd before the censors scooped up the remainder. The presentation is quite different and if one or two small gags are similar, nothing really suffers from this except egos. People have been using puppet animals for generations and some of the gags associated with these are as old as the puppets....the workings of Steve's goose are different from Mel's duck and again the presentations are different. Should some minor movements be similar,even copied, IMHO, it's not worth phoning a lawyer or continuing to sully the name of a fine performer and one who has been so generous in releasing parts of his professional repertoire.

This thread has nothing to do with that.

Trey
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
It does if you're Mel Mellers! Are we not posting about theft of routines and a poster brought up this example of another such activity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » When is it "imitation" and when is it "theft?" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL