The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Simple Ring On Rope (String) Effect (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
331 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I really want to do the ring on string/ring on rope routine. Does anyone know an easy to learn (but a lifetime to master of course) ring on rope routine that I can or should get?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Send me a PM with your email address.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Check out ringscape! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMM1ha4nrDs

Rick
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Get yourself "The Klutz Book of Magic".

very easy and very good string & ring effects, great for the beginner and excellent for the pro entertainer.

I use a few of the moves and such from this book in my own routine and for laymen they are foolers to be sure.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Personally I think Scott Guinn's rope and string is very good, I have his dvd and it is very easy to learn.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

What happens a lot of times with questions like this is that people give answers based on their own understanding of what constitutes a ring and rope or ring and string effect. After a PM exchange, Rick let me know that what he really wanted was a finger ring and string routine, probably with a borrowed ring.

There is a pretty big difference between finger ring and string routines (Relentless, Ring Leader, Ray Grismer, etc) and large harness ring (or even solid linking ring) and rope routines (Full Circle, David Williamson, Eric DeCamps, etc). I have material for both types.

It always better to give more information rather than less, both when asking the question and giving the answer.

I suggest that in the future, as many of us as possible specify whether we're talking about a finger ring or a large (harness) ring, both in asking questions and in giving answers / resources. It make things so much clearer and easier for everyone concerned, as there is confusion in almost every topic of this type.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
To me, you use a finger ring with a string (ring and string) and a large ring with a rope (ring and rope). A rope just seems too big for a finger ring, at least most moves work better with a string.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Understood that to you that's how it's done. However, Gary Ouellet for example used a rope with a finger ring in his excellent "Homing Ring" routine published by the Camirand Academy of Magic in Quebec.

So though it might be clear to you what you mean, that doesn't necessarily mean it's clear to others. By simply adding or excluding the word "finger" when referring to the ring,it becomes crystal clear to everyone.
My Lybrary Page
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
New user
MN
92 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 20:34, Rick11 wrote:

Rick

I must say that looked really nice. I don't usually go for gimmicked
ring and string stuff, but I can see how this could have it's place.
How is RingScape different from The Ring Thing by Bob King?
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10722 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Scott has a very nice ring and rope routine I have been using for many years.
Bob Milller's Relentless ring and string is iMO the best ever finger ring and string routine ...on a vhs or dvd
of couyrse I have have my own ring and string on my "all access "
shamelss plug lol
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Vinny's is one of the coolest I've seen!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2747 Posts

Profile of John Long
There is a nice (finger) ring off of a loop of string (held by the spec) in Magic for Dummies
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2747 Posts

Profile of John Long
I put this on another thread and thought I put it here too, its not a routine, but it an effect that could be part of a routine:

With one end of a string tied around your wrist (not a strict requirement), and the other tied to anything else, you put a (finger) ring onto the string! You could also start with the (finger) ring on the string and take it off. No dupes, no gimmicks. Sound interesting?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
I like Diamond Jim Tylers. You can google him and find it on his website. It is a ring on string and designed with the strolling or close-up guy in mind. It has multiple phases that build in strength. Diamond Jim is a real worker.
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
World Greatest Magic Finger ring magic DVD is the best bang for your buck

There is Daryl's Ring Rope and Wand, the Ring thing (one of my top five impromptu routines), you will learn quite a few ring off the string moves and also Sankey's Stirring Silver routine.

And its all for only like 18 bucks!!!!
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1059 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Agreed...WGM Finger Ring is a great value. but Ring Leader is also jam packed with great workers and has a lot of practical material for the money as well!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
...Sounds very interesting...
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Why not get Both DVD's? Use material from each...
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 20:34, Rick11 wrote:

Rick

I have to say that looks like the John Derris Effect with a sleightly different routine. Same Lace, Same Ring, Same Gimick. (I do love the ring behind the back idea though)
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
Aldo Colombini's Ringing Around is a great place to start. I believe it is only $10, but I could be wrong.
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Simple Ring On Rope (String) Effect (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL