The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gypsy Thread, Chadwicks Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Am interested in performing a gypsy thread routine. I have read Geoffrey Durhams book, and he suggest Chadwicks mending cotton. I have looked for this on the internet and it seems that you can only get this in the UK. I would love to get some of this in the next week. Anyone no where in the states I can, or the equivalent I can buy? Thanks.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have been looking also. If anyone knows where to get this in the US, please post.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Glow thread works nice for this effect. Does not tangle and breaks easy yet gives you that snap sound in the mic. It is a bit costly but I feel worth it knowing when you unreal it will not tangle. Plus it looks good under dim light. Look for Camirand Glo-Thread
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Mending cotton is I believe the same as basting thread. Basting thread is what magicians such as Fred Kaps, Michael Skinner used when performing Hindu/Gypsy thread.

Basting thread is difficult to find. I found some about 5 years ago in a quilting store.

You can find easy enough to break thread in sewing supply places, but the best to use is basting thread. The Wal-Mart near me up till about two years ago carried basting thread made by Coats&Clarke.

Keep looking for basting thread you will find it I recently found a source for it so I know it is available. Or you can use the glow thread as mentioned. But IMHO basting thread is the best to use.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Do you think this effect, if performed well, has the ability to play for huge audiences, around 300?
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Yes it can play for large audiences. Glow-thread from Camirand can help since it is treated with a fluorescent yellow glowing product that is amazing under UV-light. I already performed this on stage with regular yellow thread (not the glow one) wearing a black suit, and the thread was largely visible under proper lightning.

I'd suggest to try the glow-thread.

Jonathan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gypsy Thread, Chadwicks Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL