The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singing the Praises of Chamberlain's Lotion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Hmmm. That's weird! I'll see what else I can come up with...
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Okay - My Chamberlain's came in the mail today. Three days - quick delivery from Westberry's. No stores appear to carry this in North Carolina, according to Chamberlain's web site store locator.

I have dry skin and I hate putting lotion on my hands, but obviously I need it. What makes this lotion different is that is it not a "creamy lotion". The front says, "more effective than creamy lotions." The main ingredient is alcohol, followed by water, and glycerin. I have never used lotion that wasn't creamy. Very nice...
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1885 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2009-12-30 12:34, lorenwade wrote:
Hey buddy, here it is:

http://www.westburyonline.com/Default.aspx

That is Chamberlain Lotion's primary online retailer and they ship worldwide.

I live in Canada, and I tried to order, and I got a message saying there is no shipping for the destination entered... anyone else have this problem? I also tried to check out using pay pal and got the same result...
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1885 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Does anyone know of any magicshops that might carry this that ships outside the u.s.?
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
gillesA4
View Profile
Elite user
Brussels, Belgium
482 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
Iamslow,
I had the same problem when I tried to order from Belgium; my gf is going to Toronto by the end of february, I asked Westbury if they have a retailer in this town but can't get any answer... If you can grab information about this product, please be kind enough to pm me!
Thanks in advance!
Gilles, from Brussels.
Oh, all these coins on the floor, around me...
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
How is it combined with the use of rosin? That being said I've never used neither of the two products as to coin use.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 00:44, fmpilot wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-21 10:08, ehands wrote:
Can anyone tell me please which has the least fragrance: Original scent or New scent?
Thanks

Original has a lot of fragrance (rose petals maybe?) but it subsides quickly. Kind of an old fashioned smell...you know, like grandma's house or an old church.

I just received the "New Scent" in the mail last week... On a website somewhere it was described as "Almond and Lavender". I would describe as as more Almond than Lavender. I cant stand anything with a floral scent like apparently the original has been described on here (have not tried the original scent myself).

I do not mind this new scent and is dissipates quickly and certainly not over powering like so many. AND, I do like the results. I am sold. Gives excellent grip without being greasy or leaving residue on cards. This has been a true problem solver for me.
ziggystarsane
View Profile
New user
Melbourne - Australia
92 Posts

Profile of ziggystarsane
Just a quick question, I perform in Australia where temperatures can get a bit excessive (43C in Melbourne today!) as such if I am working outside my palms can and do get a bit sweaty - I was just wondering if you think if Chamberlain's would be a useful purchase for me under these conditions.

Many thanks,

Ziggy
manreb
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of manreb
I have both the New Scent and the original scent. Aside from the scent, I find that the original remains tacky for a longer period of time. To me that's the important issue.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Putting the lotion in a spray bottle give you just the right amount you need without spillage. The bottle that it comes in allows more than you need when you apply it to your hands.
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
218 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Those of you that are out of the country...how about giving them a call?

Quote:
On 2010-01-10 22:07, ziggystarsane wrote:
Just a quick question, I perform in Australia where temperatures can get a bit excessive (43C in Melbourne today!) as such if I am working outside my palms can and do get a bit sweaty - I was just wondering if you think if Chamberlain's would be a useful purchase for me under these conditions.

Many thanks,

Ziggy

Is this a humid or dry heat? I live in a very humid area during the summer months and have found that it takes longer to gain its tackiness. In fact if too humid, kind of just stays wet (less tacky indeed). See the way the glycerin interacts with air is by taking all the surrounding moisture from it. The alcohol is used to evaporate the liquid base so to speak leaving only the moisture soaked glycerin on your hand. Not extremely beneficial in such conditions. Dry heat different story and found that in Vegas did as expected.

That said, I called the factory direct and ordered a box of 12 or so back in 2001. I gave one bottle to Eric Jones and used one for myself. That bottle of mine is still going strong and I have ten bottles left.

Now the naturalist view. What happens if for some reason you don't have the lotion on you and you have grown dependent?

I am starting to view this lotion as a type of training wheel for some. Being a sufferer of dry hands myself, I found that using a finger palm or edge grip (Harbottle, not Roth) or even a thumb palm can nicely substitute where I once required a classic palm. Personally, I do a lot of jazzed coin magic where I'm asked on the spot. I think it's silly to turn around grab the bottle, make them wait while I lotion up, and then wait for it to dry. A true magician wouldn't need lotion to make miracles happen no matter if Marlo used it. I'm just saying.

For truly learning sleight of hand, I feel the student should adapt his/her approach rather than the constant. (If your hands are always dry, they are always dry...you know what there is to work with in that case always.) Do things your environment knows as natural so as to appear natural and you will not be caught off guard.

This is just my opinion and at times do use the lotion still. There is nothing wrong if you do for that's your choice. Just a thought.
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Quote:

Many thanks,

Ziggy

No , I don't think Chaberlain's will help in this case .

Try a rosin bag or hand chalk (you know the stuff people use in the gym). That should take care of the sweat and give you a good grip on the coins . Again chalkin up before a performance will not look natural , but it will help the sweaty hands problem .
ziggystarsane
View Profile
New user
Melbourne - Australia
92 Posts

Profile of ziggystarsane
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 19:14, Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:

Many thanks,

Ziggy

No , I don't think Chaberlain's will help in this case .

Try a rosin bag or hand chalk (you know the stuff people use in the gym). That should take care of the sweat and give you a good grip on the coins . Again chalkin up before a performance will not look natural , but it will help the sweaty hands problem .

Many thanks for your advice, I have never considered chalk until now - I think a bit of experimenting is in order....

Thanks again,

Ziggy
mr.nemo
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mr.nemo
Hey guys I'm just wondering if any of you has used both chamberlain's lotion and the sortkwick and can give a comparison I want to get the chamerlain's but it's not readily available in Toronto where sortkwick is at staples for 1.99 a pack,, I been hearing that both work but haven't heard anyone compare the two???

Tanks
Remy
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
You got it Ziggy , just a little bit should do the trick .

I see you're fairly new to the Café ... Welcome Smile
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Just a tip for those who use Chamberlain's.

A buddy of mine tipped me to a great spray container for this. It is small, thin and easy to carry.

It is in the travel section of the "Container Store" (U.S. metro areas).
It comes in a two pack for $1.99.

Sorry I can't provide a link. I didn't see it on their website, but it is in the stores.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2010-01-13 18:29, mr.nemo wrote:
Hey guys I'm just wondering if any of you has used both chamberlain's lotion and the sortkwick and can give a comparison I want to get the chamerlain's but it's not readily available in Toronto where sortkwick is at staples for 1.99 a pack,, I been hearing that both work but haven't heard anyone compare the two???

Tanks
Remy

Hi
I use corn husker's lotion, it seams to have the same ingredients as chamerlain's . Can anyone compare corn husker's to chamerlain's lotion?
Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
218 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Yes Ralph, I have used both. I found huskers to be way too tacky. Chamberlain's is the better of the two IMHO. Both are glycerin based, however, huskers is really thick leading me to believe that there is way more glycerin in it than golden touch. Go with Chamberlain's if you can get it.
mr.nemo
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mr.nemo
Hey Ralph

just a quick question is huskers readily available or is it just as much of a mission as chamberlain's , I mean do you just get it at the pharmacy.

Thanks
Remy
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
218 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I purchased my huskers from a pharmacy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singing the Praises of Chamberlain's Lotion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL